Smartphone Debate

Fever

And now it's time for the great debate... Smartphones!

Right now my dad and I are debating on whether to get a Droid X, or a Samsung Fascinate. Which would you suggest?

Or even better: What Smartphone would you suggest that supports Flash, and that is under Verizon's provider thing?

So some possible point to debate here...

Smart phone vs. Blackberry?

Smart phone vs. Normal phones?

iPhone vs iPod touch

iPhone/iPod touch vs. Droid

What, overall, do you think is the best overall phone?

I won't go on in length in my initial post here, since there are so many varying points we could go over, but I'll just say that Android wins hands down as far as smartphone operating systems go. ;)

Totally agree, AA. I admit, I am totally infatuated with iPhones and stuff, just because they're so cool and there are so many things you can do with them. but then there are the Androids.. Which are like, iPhones on steroids xD. I love how Androids can do all the iPhone stuff, but they're probably a bit cheaper, as well. :P

We were originally planning on getting a Droid but ended up with iPhones. What is so great about all of these, is that each "type" of phone works for separate uses and your specific needs.

If you're going to be using your phone for work, I'd suggest getting a Blackberry. If you want to play games/use social media as well as just use it as an "every day" phone, I'd suggest the Driod/iPhone.

We were 95% sure we were going to get Droids but started playing with both while we waited for the people before us to pay. In the end, we just kept going back to the iPhone and preferred it. *shrug*

All of them offer [most of] the same services so it really comes down to what your own personal preference IMO.

It depends of what you do with your phone.

For instance, my sister loves to send text messages... so she went with a blackberry for their keyboard.

On the other hand, I'm more a checking emails and playing games to kill time, so I went with the Nexus One, which runs Android. I'm pretty happy with it.

And there are people like my aunt who only want a phone for emmergencies calls, so they don't even need a smart phone.

Another thing to consider is if you *really* need a data plan. At first, we put additional data on our phone, but then we were like... wait, that's such a waste of money because I can get free wi-fi internet on my phone and I really don't need 3G internet.

I don't have a smartphone, so I have no complete opinion on this subject. I feel as though the iPhone would be best suited for me though. But I do feel the need to reply to this:

iPhone vs iPod touch

iTouch is not a smartphone. It is what it's called, an iPod with a touch screen. And there can't really be a fight about two products that are made by the same company.

And in all honesty, smartphones are not a debate, let alone the biggest of them all. Smartphones are chosen depending on what fits the person best. If someone is more used to the Droid than they are with the iPhone, then let them use the Droid. There is no debate here. The debate would be on which is the best phone service, and even still it all depends on the coverage they have in your area.

And I still find it strange that WWE's newest stable named themselves Nexus, especially not long after the release of the Nexus One phone...

iPod vs iPhone

I have an iPod Touch 4G (birfday present from beloved hubby) and I LOVE it. It is exactly the same as the iPhone but much much cheaper! I can make/receive calls, text, send pix messages since it has a camera, surf the web, and download apps, all for free. And since it has 32G of space I can put all of my music on it. Videos are beautiful with the HD display.

I have long resisted Apple products, and I've always thought of iPhone/iPod owners as being mindless sheep who just want to buy what's trendy, but my husband got me the new iPod and I've been attached to it ever since. I highly recommend it.

My cell is an LG Chocolate touch - compared to the iPod, I hate it now. lol! I just want to cut off my phone and use my iPod, but so many people have my cell number so I can't.

you can transfer phone numbers from one cellphone to another.

Right now I have a LG Eve. Last year I had a Sharp's GX25 Ferrari Vodafone phone which was cool but really old (had it for like 4 yrs) so I thought it was time to switch...

Either way. I hate touch screens. I was iffy with the Eve because it was a touch screen but I thought I should give it a try. Bad idea. I still hate touch screens >.< Not to mention it locks up so many times and takes forever to boot up again -_-

I'll probably never get an Iphone. Not to mention my dad hates Apple....

Iphone vs Itouch. Get an Iphone. Same size. same shape. The difference is about a few 100 bucks more but an Iphone can do EVERYTHING an Itouch can and more

Iphone vs blackberry: If you thrive on games and apps. Get the Iphone. If you're like me and don't really care, get the blackberry. Better security. Multitasking fuctions. Less hassle (you always have to update your apps and stuff for the Iphone). More battery life AND expandable memory. Plus (for me) it's not touch screen *happy dance* XD

Smart phone vs. Blackberry? Smart phone and blackberries pretty much have the same function so I think that'd be a draw.....(it'd depend on which smart phone and which blackberry)....

Smart phone vs. Normal phones? Honestly? Smart phone hands down.

iPhone/iPod touch vs. Droid? Can't say...they seem pretty even to me...

Oh and Droid X, or a Samsung Fascinate. I'd personally go with the Droid X but I'm kinda biased since I don't know much about the Fascinate unfortunatly. I do know that it's touch screen....and you know my stand on that XD Besides. Droid X has 8GB internal memory!! Compared to the Fascinate's measly 2GB I think we know who pwned that category...and the Droid X feels more solid, has a bigger screen, HDMI, Google search (in this day and age you will not survive with Bing) etc etc....

Guys, there is no debate about iPhone vs. iTouch when the iTouch isn't a smartphone.

Iphone vs Itouch. Get an Iphone. Same size. same shape. The difference is about a few 100 bucks more but an Iphone can do EVERYTHING an Itouch can and more

What I said above. There is no debate on that.

But just to comment on it, iPhone is more expensive, since you pay $25 a month. Therefore, you pay an extra $300 a year, even if you don't download anything. An iTouch doesn't have that, so it's more worth your money in the long run.

if iPhone ever goes to verizon, iPhone wins :D

droid doesn't have as much apps and I think iPhone is prettier than all the droid phones :/

but since iPhone's not a verizon phone, it sucks. because verizon is like the way to go.

I have an ipod touch but it frustrates me that I can't have internet wherever I go..

half the apps become useless without wi-fi.

I think the blackberry keypad is really small ><

I grow my nails out and don't like to type with my nails so I like big keypads haha.

We were originally planning on getting a Droid but ended up with iPhones. What is so great about all of these, is that each "type" of phone works for separate uses and your specific needs.

If you're going to be using your phone for work, I'd suggest getting a Blackberry. If you want to play games/use social media as well as just use it as an "every day" phone, I'd suggest the Driod/iPhone.

We were 95% sure we were going to get Droids but started playing with both while we waited for the people before us to pay. In the end, we just kept going back to the iPhone and preferred it. *shrug*

All of them offer [most of] the same services so it really comes down to what your own personal preference IMO.

I've heard really good things about iPhones, too. The only downside to those is not only the sometimes-horrifying price, but I've heard that they're fussy in humidity? O.o

Hehe, I'm not even old enough to get a work permit yet (one more year.. blah), but yeah. Going to at least try Neopets on it and other stuff... I'll take a look at iPhones :D

It depends of what you do with your phone.

For instance, my sister loves to send text messages... so she went with a blackberry for their keyboard.

On the other hand, I'm more a checking emails and playing games to kill time, so I went with the Nexus One, which runs Android. I'm pretty happy with it.

And there are people like my aunt who only want a phone for emmergencies calls, so they don't even need a smart phone.

Another thing to consider is if you *really* need a data plan. At first, we put additional data on our phone, but then we were like... wait, that's such a waste of money because I can get free wi-fi internet on my phone and I really don't need 3G internet.

Yeah. I'd just use it for email, facebook, games. I know Blackberries are horrible for games unless they have a nice touchscreen, at least for me because the spinny things get worn down (the Verizon Juke is a prime example :P).

That's a good point, about the data package/ wifi. I know of some people who use their Droids and iPhones just for pictures and music (of course to which I reply "There's a magical thing called a camera/MP3"), where a data package might be a good idea. xD

I don't have a smartphone, so I have no complete opinion on this subject. I feel as though the iPhone would be best suited for me though. But I do feel the need to reply to this:

iTouch is not a smartphone. It is what it's called, an iPod with a touch screen. And there can't really be a fight about two products that are made by the same company...

Good point, haha. But of course you can fight over like, a Droid X and a Droid Incredible (which apparently isn't very incredible, from what I heard at Verizon xD). But you do have a good point, CAV!

What about iphone VS blackberry?

I'm having the hardest time deciding which to get. I find the blackberry keys so hard to press because I'm not use to it.

I totally agree. My NV3's Qwerty board is actually easier to use than a blackberry's keys, and the keys on my phone are easier to hit, too. Speed texting *wiggles eyebrows*

iPod vs iPhone......

**DANGIT this part is a response to Kuro's.. And I lost Yukon's? D:

Ding ding ding! haha.

My phone is getting old too, but it's not actually old. My dad has the NV3, too. Both our phones randomly shut off, whenever we open the camera (well some of the time), it shuts off. On occasion we've had totally random features start up. Phone developing AI! :ohno:

Good point. again, haha. I wonder if there are any deals going on for iphones/touches. My dad's a cheapskate (shh, hehe), so we're waiting until next month when Verizon is supposedly dropping their prices like crazy (compared to their buy one get one free spiel going on now, I can just see my dad being REALLY mad if prices dont go down).

Heh, sounds like I should get an iPhone! That's one thing I don't like about Blackberries, it seems like the only thing you can do on them is like, email and spreadsheets. Great for companies, but horrible for teens. Although my family friend/school psychologist has an iPod touch I want to say, and he uses that thing all the time for alarms and stuff for meetings at school, all that.

Yeah. Both are touch screens, the only thing I don't like about the Droid X is that the buttons (home, back, etc) aren't touch screen, they're buttons. Buttons + me = bad, *tehe*

I totally agree! Isn't the Droid's camera better, too? But yeah, 8 gig vs. 2 gig... Hmm... Haha. I also heard that (not only is a new Droid X coming out next month) but that the Fascinate is seriously glitchy and sassy. $200 ish for glithcy doesn't sound good. :P

Guys, there is no debate about iPhone vs. iTouch when the iTouch isn't a smartphone.

What I said above. There is no debate on that.

But just to comment on it, iPhone is more expensive, since you pay $25 a month. Therefore, you pay an extra $300 a year, even if you don't download anything. An iTouch doesn't have that, so it's more worth your money in the long run.

Yeah, $25 a month isn't pretty. Although we could probably get rid of our cable, chop off 60 bucks a month, because you can watch TV on your phone/computer and TV with blu-ray..

if iPhone ever goes to verizon, iPhone wins :D

droid doesn't have as much apps and I think iPhone is prettier than all the droid phones :/

but since iPhone's not a verizon phone, it sucks. because verizon is like the way to go.

I have an ipod touch but it frustrates me that I can't have internet wherever I go..

half the apps become useless without wi-fi.

I think the blackberry keypad is really small ><

I grow my nails out and don't like to type with my nails so I like big keypads haha.

Haha, I agree I think xD

I totally agree. Although I think at the rate that Droids are becoming popular, there probably will be more apps for them in the near future. And, iPhones SO are prettier than Droids, and they have way more awesome apps.

Yeah. Verizon's nice because we don't get dropped calls, it's cheap but good quality. I think we tried ATT for a while.. O rwas that Sprint... some other company and it didn't work very well :P

Weird! Although I guess, the iPod can't connect to phone lines and such like the iPhone...

I AGREE AGAIN! I cannot stand blackberry keypads. No, I despise them. They're pathetically small and the buttons are hard.

I grow my nails out too, and they work better on touchscreens than blackberry keypads, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Good point, haha. But of course you can fight over like, a Droid X and a Droid Incredible (which apparently isn't very incredible, from what I heard at Verizon xD). But you do have a good point, CAV!

Yeah, $25 a month isn't pretty. Although we could probably get rid of our cable, chop off 60 bucks a month, because you can watch TV on your phone/computer and TV with blu-ray..

It's stupid to fight about smartphones. It's stupider to fight about smartphones made by the same company. But at least both Droid models are phones. iTouch is not a phone, it's an iPod, which is an MP4 Player, AKA, a music player. You can't argue between smartphones when they are both made by Apple, and one of them isn't even a phone.

And altogether iTouches are more worth it. The only thing an iPhone has that an iTouch doesn't have is the ability to call people, and a couple of apps. The same rule applies to the iPad, where it only has a couple of apps that the iTouch doesn't have.

I have a Droid Eris and I hate it. I don't even think it's sold at Verion anymore. I've had to get it replaced three times because HTC sucks.

Don't get anything that has to do with HTC. They lack in programming skills. Sony and Samsung don't know what they're doing with touch screens.

I would recommend the Droid X, solely because Hank Green has one and he likes it, so it can't be all bad.

Verizon doesn't even carry iPhones.

I personally have a cheap-o phone, but my dad has a Droid, and my best friend has an iPhone. They both say theirs is best, obviously, but to me it seems like the iPhone is better for teenagers who like games and things, where the Droid is better for business and important things like that.

Granted I haven't actually used them, but that was my impression :)

I have no experience with other smart phones, but I do not suggest getting a Droid. Several people I've talked to have complained about it tearing up almost as soon as they buy it. My dad has a blackberry, and I've never heard him complain about it. So maybe go with that one?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a really old cell phone because I don't text message often and I don't like to phone...

But my dad is really into apple so he bought a iphone.

When the 3gs came out he wanted that (sometimes he's just like a child ~_~") but he had an agreement for the old iphone so he had to get rid of it.

So he gave it to me. I took it - with the condition he pays the really expensive basic charge xD

(Not to mention that happened all over again with the iphone 4 xD")

At first I didn't believe I would use my iPhone often because I have a iPod but know I couldn't live without it xD

The games are really great! I love the touch screen and the handling is just foolproof.

BUT it really sucks when its cold and you don't have smartphone gloves oÒ

I love it but I would never buy one on my own - its just too expensive - not the iphone itself but the basic charge is here to expensive! I mean when you buy a iPhone then you want to go online right?

I find smart phones just another fancy word used to raise the price of an item. Especially with Iphones and such to me they are very overpriced even though they are a nice luxury they're still completely unreasonable for the duration of a year teens usually keep their phones and get a new one.

• 4 weeks later...

Most smartphones don't support Flash.

I have a BlackBerry Torch and love it, find the iPhone really awkward to type on and really think the Blackberry is great for Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail and MSN. Annoyingly, it doesn't really like Neopets very much, but I can stock trade and do most of my dailies on it.

I also have an iPad, which is kinda like an iPhone but bigger. Again, doesn't support Flash, but there are workarounds for a small monthly fee (CloudBrowse).

• 3 months later...

I don't have an iPhone myself, but I can say I'm addicted to the ones my friends have! I've moved cities 3x recently for jobs and school, and I have to admit I am constantly lost. Whether I'm walking or driving on the freeway, I'm always relying on my friends iPhones to help me find my way. My advice is don't get a cheaper phone that claims to have internet, because my Verizon EnV is like that, and it really just has a tiiiiiny search engine that's pretty much useless :)

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.