SCREAMS LOUDLY

Secre

My mother is a drunk, an idiot and a fool.

The imbicile who has an awful record with money to begin with - as in got herself £7000 into debt on a credit card several years ago and is still only paying off the interest, and is £3000 overdrawn on her main account - recently got herself two credit cards. This was after me and my brother confiscated her debit card due to the fact that she was blowing the entire amount on booze.

We only figured this out after several odd phone calls from the bank led us to start opening her mail. (Illegal yes, but when she is too [removed] to deal with her own affairs someone has too.)

At which point we find that she is massively in debt on two new credit cards...which have now been destroyed but the damage is done.

So now we are finding places to store our stuff before we get the first bailiff's notice, which is bound to be coming soon. My father is under the impression that they can't touch what is his...the ignorant fool appears to have forgotten his legally binding wedding vows.

My rather impressive collection of Steiff bears is in the process of finding temporary new homes in suitcases...and I am swearing fluently at the drunken, fool of a [removed] of a mother and at the ignoramus that is my father.

Sorry...throughly peeved and needed to rant.

wow. I feel so sorry for you! D: I could never imgaine my mother like that to be honest so I hope yours gets her act together soon.

And I'm not really sure how it works for where you live but where I live they can't touch my dad's money if my mom's in debt o.0

I feel for you. My mom is a foolish, idiot drunk too. Last winter I had to drag her in at 2 in the morning because she collapsed in the snow outside and decided she couldn't get up. She also owes money for credit cards, though luckily she doesn't have any now.

Oh. My. God. THAT SOUNDS SO AWFUL! I am so so so sorry. Really, I am. I cant believe that anyone can stand that. You are so good stand this as long as you have. You can rant, this must be torture for you! :sad01_anim:

Yeah, in the US, if you're married, you split the salary and the debts 50/50. I don't know how it is in the UK.

Uh, would they take the kids' stuff away if the mother didn't pay her debts?? :(

I was going to say the same thing. That's terrible, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Thanks. It was a much needed rant! I've now come down to grumbling under my breath about her instead of full out yelling and screaming! Thanks for the kind replies...

And my extreme apologies to whichever mod edited my post - I can't actually recall which word I used now which has been removed but sorry! I was more interested in ranting than moderating my language. Many promises that it won't happen again!

wow. I feel so sorry for you! D: I could never imgaine my mother like that to be honest so I hope yours gets her act together soon.

And I'm not really sure how it works for where you live but where I live they can't touch my dad's money if my mom's in debt o.0

Due to the marriage contract anything they own is shared. That means that his assets are as much in jeapordy (sorry, can't spell) as hers. It's like divorce, anything he owns would get split 50/50 in divorcing her as legally his assets are kind of also hers...if that makes any sense. He can't go bankrupt through her idiocy but he stands to lose an awful lot.

Yeah, in the US, if you're married, you split the salary and the debts 50/50. I don't know how it is in the UK.

Uh, would they take the kids' stuff away if the mother didn't pay her debts?? :(

Anything that's in the house is easy pickings, whether it be hers, mine, my brothers or my fathers. They can't touch our bank accounts but anything in the house can be picked up due to the laws of possession being rather vague and so difficult to prove. Anything of any value can and will go.

This has been proven by a couple of my friends in student housing where one person has been collecting money from them for the bills and then not paying. It is that resident who owes the money but property belonging to all of them will disappear if the baillifs come calling. You can appeal...chances of recovering stuff...slim/minus chances.

I feel for you. My mom is a foolish, idiot drunk too. Last winter I had to drag her in at 2 in the morning because she collapsed in the snow outside and decided she couldn't get up. She also owes money for credit cards, though luckily she doesn't have any now.

She's done that quite a few times as well. Although she does seem to have stopped venturing out of the house now to get drunk. She can do it quite effectively at home. Although...if she keeps nicking my fathers expensive wines and whiskeys which he attempts to hide most carefully from her I doubt she'll be living her long enough for this to be a problem...

:O

Rude question, but are you old enough to move out? :(

Yes, but I don't have the money to move out! Fairly recently out of education, my job contracts has just expired and I have no money yet again!

Aw I'm sorry for you Secre... Do you have a place where you can move your stuff temporarily to, like a good friend's house?

That's exactly what I've been doing! If that notice comes through the door I have about 8 houses where stuff can be moved to...oddly enough including my local pub! My vicars taking most of my Steiff bears, my boyfriend and parents are taking most of the electronic stuff. The pubs taking a suitcase of other stuff and I have several other friends who are willing to take items of value. This includes items officially belonging to my mother which me and my brother count as ours due to the fact that they are our inheritance.

It's astounding what you can move out of a house quickly when you really want to!

Sory to hear about that.

Im not too sure on this, so someone may need to clarify, I always thought if the bailiffs came round to collect the debt, If you haven't got enough items to pay it off, won't they take possession of the house to pay it off instead?

The house would be the last thing to go. Bank accounts are first but she's in overdraft...then possesions...

• 2 months later...

That really sucks, I don't know how it is where you live, but in New york state you can like..settle? on an amount to be paid..so lets say I was in debt like..10,000 and i would never be able to pay it off, most companies will settle and rather get a fraction of that amount than never be paid at all, so I'd probably only end up paying like 6k of that.

Good luck to you!

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.