I'm in the Times!

antiaircraft

Nope, you didn't misread the title of this topic - by some miraculous editing mishap, my low-grade fanfiction somehow got into the Neopian Times! :ohno: Crazy right?

But anyway, if you happen to be interested, it's a four-part series entitled Occupational Hazard. The story is sci-fi themed, and I guess it's a little more action-y than most NT stories, so expect plenty of intense firefights and narrow escapes. I hope it's not so bad that you fall asleep instantly. xD

Somewhere in the bowels of a sinister space station, flung far out into the most distant reaches of the Neopian star system, a Wocky was running for her life.

This wasn't particularly unusual for her. As a matter of fact, running for her life was a major part of her job description.

Unsurprisingly, this didn't bring the Orange Wocky much comfort.

Dashing down a polished steel hallway as fast as her reflexes would allow, alarms blaring in her ears and red emergency lights flashing across her vision, she could hardly have been less comfortable. Like a deranged, lightning-fast ball of clothing and orange fur, she rocketed through empty maintenance tunnels, bounced around corners and leapt through closing blast doors. She picked up more than a few bruises and scrapes along the way, but that didn't even register to her adrenaline-fuelled brain, let alone slow her down. She had to get this information back to Neopia. She had to get it to the resistance before it was too late.

But she wasn't going to be able to do that by running around in circles while Sloth's minions closed in, she told herself firmly as an oddly familiar intersection swung into view. She skidded to a halt, slamming into a painfully solid metal bulkhead. Breathing hard, she sucked in rapid gasps of air as she tried to get her bearings. She was pretty sure the left pathway was the one that led to the secondary hangar bay, but she needed to be certain. Besides, it might help to catch her breath.

A blaster bolt ricocheted off the floor centimetres from her foot, instantly heating the surface to the point where it began to melt the rubber soles of her maintenance boots. Maybe not...

Continue reading...

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four (Conclusion)

I did. It's sitting at the bottom of my user lookup, looking all shiny. :yes:

I saw that. Congrats, Theo! I really enjoyed your story. It definitely deserved to be published. I loved the amazing detail and sense of urgency to put into it.

I'm hoping to submit my series this week. I just need to think of a good title.

I been thinking about writing a Neopian story, and I even had a good idea, but I just never get around to actually writing it. Do you have any suggestions?

You might want to consider finding someone to co-write with you. That's what I ended up doing this time. I had a skeleton of a story, but not much time for writing, so I asked a friend to fill it out, then I added more stuff. It was a lot of fun, and we'll both get writing credit and trophies for it.

You might want to consider finding someone to co-write with you. That's what I ended up doing this time. I had a skeleton of a story, but not much time for writing, so I asked a friend to fill it out, then I added more stuff. It was a lot of fun, and we'll both get writing credit and trophies for it.

That's a great idea! I love writing, but often I have trouble coming up with the story line to begin with.

Thanks guys! :D

I been thinking about writing a Neopian story, and I even had a good idea, but I just never get around to actually writing it. Do you have any suggestions?

Co-writing is an excellent way to make up for a lack of time/manpower. :yes: It's also great fun! Just make sure that you actually set aside some time to sit down and write something - it's often easier to write your first draft on paper and transfer it to a computer for editing afterwards.

Is it broken into parts? Or did you get to publish the whole thing?

Well, considering that the maximum length for a short story in the Times is 4,000 words, and Occupational Hazard is just over 17,000 words long... I had to submit it in parts. :P

Well, considering that the maximum length for a short story in the Times is 4,000 words, and Occupational Hazard is just over 17,000 words long... I had to submit it in parts. :P

:P I've never looked into the requirements, so I didn't know that. I'll have to remember it for the future though. I need to write and submit something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Uyi! Part 3 is coming out in seven hours or so, so feel free to enjoy and give feedback! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Part Three is out now, so more to read you shall have. :)