So, someone gave me a squirrel today...

Masaryk

I try to go for at least one walk every day. Usually, I walk to the mall to meet my mom for coffee. It's a 5 km walk, round-trip, and that's a decent enough distance to get a bit of exercise. So, after I got home from work today, my husband and I went for our usual walk to meet my mom.

On the way home, we were walking through a park, when we spotted a young black squirrel in the grass. It was rather cute, so we stopped to observe the little thing. It looked a bit scared, but otherwise fine. As we're about to continue on our way, an elderly lady starts yelling at us from her car about the squirrel. Confused, we wait a moment as she parks her car and comes over to talk to us.

It turns out that the ravens in the park have been preying on the baby squirrels, and she was getting upset about them harassing this one. She absolutely INSISTED that we take the squirrel with us, so that it would be safe. She just kind of said to us, "Wait here while I go get a box," then ran up to her apartment, coming back a few minutes later with a cardboard gift box.

By this time, the little guy had crawled over to where we were sitting in the grass, and my husband scooped it up into the box. It was very trusting and docile. So there I was, with a gift-boxed squirrel that an old lady insisted that I take with me, walking home, through downtown. How weird is that?

Once I got home, I opened the box to let the little guy out. He was scared at first, but quickly became curious about his new, more sheltered surroundings. He scampered around my "backyard' (the six-foot wide bit of land between my house and the fence, populated mostly by native plants), digging through the mulch for squirrel yummies. Then he started climbing up my pant leg, and just being generally friendly. He really seems to like his new surroundings.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the cute little guy. Enjoy!

2qbxao7.jpg

z8yzt.jpg

9ur7ky.jpg

I still get excited when I see black squirrels. We only have the grey ones around here. Growing up, black squirrels were like a mythical legend no one really know in the neighborhood if they really existed. I remember when we were driving across Canada there was a whole park that had only black squirrels and I mean a ton of them and I was like wow look at all the black squirrels. That is very amusing that the lady gave it to you in a gift box, too funny.

Oh, it's so adorable! Since I arrived in Canada two years ago I've been trying to coax squirrels to come close to me. I've found they will eat nuts I leave out for them, but are generally pretty scared of me. You're lucky! Maybe if you leave food for it every day it will stay around? Or are you going to make it sleep inside? :)

I have never seen a black squirrel before o_O Oh my gosh how adorable! I cannot believe how people-friendly that one is. A bunch of squirrels live on the campus I go to and despite being around people so much they scamper off if you get too close to them.

When I was a kid, we only had red squirrels where I live. But the black ones started taking over about 15 years ago, and now I almost never see red ones. The black ones are much bigger than the red ones, but I think they're all cute.

Most squirrels aren't this comfortable around people. The only other squirrels I've ever seen that will get really close to people are the ones at the provincial park campgrounds. They're really accustomed to being fed by people (even though it's not allowed).

I haven't seen my little squirrel friend yet today, so maybe he wandered off. Hopefully, I'll get to see him later.

-Sniffsniff- What, squirrel, what, who where, what squirrel? -Reads first post-

Awww, it's so cute. I'll have to add ravens to my list of species going to be extinct when HAMS take over the world.

I haven't seen my little squirrel friend in a couple of days. He must have found a nearby tree to live in. I hope he's doing fine.

I speak for everyone at HAMS when I say he's so adorable. We at HAMS would like to recruit your Squrriel. He would make an awesome practice dummy ninja.

Most squrriels in NY look as though they'll bite your face off if you get near them. At the same time they look ready for everthing, the perfect recruit.

I speak for everyone at HAMS when I say he's so adorable. We at HAMS would like to recruit your Squrriel. He would make an awesome practice dummy ninja.

You may feel free to use my pictures for personal or HAMS use. Enjoy the squirrelly goodness!

Awww he's so cute XD I can't believe that she just came up to you guys and gave you a squirrel though :O I live in toronto and people hardly talk to each other >.> but anyway, gratz and I hope he's found a nice home too :laughingsmiley:

• 3 weeks later...