The Official Pokemon Topic

CAV of Gang Green

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pokemon's main appeal isn't the story. Part of it is how no two games will ever be exactly alike. Different Pokemon appear at random, differnet IVs and genders, trainers use different attacks, there are even a few places where you can battle gym leaders in a different order (they're mainly just two swapped, but it is nice). There are tons of self challenges to apply to the games for added difficulty, and you can dedicate a lot of time to getting a perfect Pokemon. And that's not even hitting the metagame, which is likely the most diverse of any game, not to mention in constant flux. And on top of that, you can't say there hasn't been one particular Pokemon that you were really attatched to for whatever reason.

And the other part? Connectivity. One of the main concepts behind Pokemon was being able to connect with other players- not just to battle, but to trade and play games. Seriously, Tajiri-san said so (it's towards the bottom).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, you don't play Pokemon for the storyline. You play it because the very idea of the game is being able to do what you want, even within the story. You don't need to evolve a Pokemon, or change an attack, as opposed to the more general RPG formula where upgrades are required if you don't want to die a dozen times.

Pokemon is a completely unique kind of RPG, one that's never been sucessfully duplicated. The story is there to point you in the right direction to get badges and rare Pokemon. Beyond that? It's nothing. You make your own story.

1. It's Dento that'll be joining Ash. He's also a Gym Leader like Brock was. We'll see why he decided to travel with Ash. Also Iris will be accompanying them. It's fan-guessed/rumoured that Dento will take part on PokéMusicals and Iris is after something or someone is after her. Iris is also in the games as was revealed in a recent trailer. Her role? One can only guess.
  2. Those starter evos are still not really confirmed. I hope they aren't real. I mean it's the type of WHAM Game Freak will throw at us, since we weren't expecting those at all, especially the Mijumaru one, but they just seem like, out of place in the evolutionary line.
  3. It looks like B/W will have a deep storyline and I love it! :D So yeah Anime, I play for the story/RPG aspect of it. That's what made me go from absolutely hating Pokemon, I mean hate - even though I had the bed covers o_O - to lovin' it! ^_^

EDIT: Sorry for the spoilers but... it's hard to not speak these things... shall I just put them in Spoiler tags? I will.

:yes: That's why Pokemon's the only RPG where I play the same game more than once (well not the DS ones, but I did with all the gameboy ones all the time).

I do play it my way, and my way is that I don't apply the metagame at all until the first credits roll. I didn't mention that before. I'm fine with pretty much everything else. It's clear what the game is made for, and it's very good at what it does. If it wasn't its fan base wouldn't be so huge. But for me, who's pretty much played since Red and Blue came out, the story isn't really there anymore. It's kinda like a map and a bunch of boxes of text that get in the way for a while until the real game starts. I'm not asking it to be like every other RPG, well actually now that I look back that's exactly what it sounds like. Hmm... hold on I'm bad at explaining things.

(After a while of deep thinking and scrapping several different approaches to this) It's gotten to the point where it bores and slightly annoys me enough to interfere with me enjoying the metagame. I don't really know a lot of people to play with, so I just make competitive teams for my own sake. Ideally I'd want a story that reflects how much more deep the mechanics of pokemon has become. So I can put advanced things I know into the story before the credits roll. Pokemon appeals to a lot of children and is always looking to bring more people in starting with them. I'd just like a pokemon game, it could be seperate from the two (and later a third) versions that start a generation, but a game made for those who followed this from the beginning and are now teens and young adults who find it hard to get other people their age to treat this franchise as seriously as they do. I'm pretty sure there are huge holes in his explanation, but I'm just trying to get a very complex idea across without being misinterpreted through the internet.

Anyway, my favorite was the original Gold version for gameboy. Mostly because that was when I was old enough to more fully understand what was going on in pokemon for the first time. And having more than one region rocked. ^_^

They seriously need a new storyline for Pokemon.

No, just get rid of the anime altogether.

Pokemon's main appeal isn't the story.

It isn't. If it was, then the story would've been different in every game.

Hmm... are they seriously running out of names for Pokemon Games?

They've decidedly gone back to colours: Red, Blue, Yellow - now Black/White.

Is this one going to be in Black and White?

Haha, I know it isn't :P

The starters look kinda weird, but that's expected because the new season of Pokemon (the anime) is going to be called Pokemon: Best Wish.

WHAT????

I think it was dicussed a while back that BW is a sort of "reboot" of the series, so they went back to color names. And Best Wishes isn't THAT bad a season name.... could be much, much worse.

Serebii posted about a review of the games by Famitsu, a Japanese video game publication.... 40/40. That apperently requires a perfect 10 from four reviewers. First Pokemon game to ever get a perfect score.

I think it was dicussed a while back that BW is a sort of "reboot" of the series, so they went back to color names. And Best Wishes isn't THAT bad a season name.... could be much, much worse.

Serebii posted about a review of the games by Famitsu, a Japanese video game publication.... 40/40. That apperently requires a perfect 10 from four reviewers. First Pokemon game to ever get a perfect score.

I have heard worse names.

Ok here's how Famitsu works. There's 4 staff members. Each of them has to give the game a score out of 10, and it is added up to give a total score out of 40. A perfect 40? The only other game this year to get that grade is Bayonetta. But they most likely gave it that score for...other reasons.

This game is bound to be good...

I just hope when (or if) they make a console Stadium-esque game that is just a lot more like the original two Stadium games. Battle Revolution was like they took half of what made the N64 games and added 242 pokemon and better graphics. In short Stadium was a bit less shallow, and was made, what, seven years earlier? I liked BR for the moment anyway.

Serebii posted some more "99% likely to be true" stuff, including some dex numbers, a 156 new pokemon count (with 3 being event-only) and woah... I'll just spoiler this...

A pure flying legendary.

That's.... that's.... Well, it had BETTER be true.

So when is BW actually going to come out then?

From all this talk, it's getting exciting for the release leadup.

Comes out in Japan next Saturday (not tomorrow, a week from then) if I recall. In the US, March or April, all we have so far is "spring 2011". And Europe? As usual, no word yet.

So when is BW actually going to come out then?

In Japan, it comes out this month.

In North America, around March 2011.

In New Zealand, I don't know.

A pure flying legendary.

:woot:

In Japan, it comes out this month.

In North America, around March 2011.

In New Zealand, I don't know.

:woot:

Ahh, thanks CAV. Usually, on free TV it comes out about 1 or 2 years after the US Release...

Hmm... will NZ be able to watch before the Apocalypse 2012?? :laughingsmiley:

The Tsutarja evos are kinda neat. Not too fond of the Pokabu ones, but they're pretty cool in their own way. The Mijumaru ones look kinda of like they want to stab someone xD

I feel the complete opposite, but that's just compared to the rest of the previous generations. There's gonna be welcome additions, but it's become more and more inexcusable to just throw in pokemon that will never actually be used in battles. We already have so many options. I just don't want the older pokes to be forgotten. Since every generation we get stronger pokemon to keep us interested the ones that used to do just good enough are pushed back into the UU and NU tier.

And now all I've been doing in the past few days in this thread is whine. :/ Sorry.

Sandrill is ashamed of you! No haha...

Today, I just found all of the Pokemon themes from the show, and I'm hoping the English dub will have a cool new intro showing all of the starters and what not.

Ahh, thanks CAV. Usually, on free TV it comes out about 1 or 2 years after the US Release...

Hmm... will NZ be able to watch before the Apocalypse 2012?? :laughingsmiley:

1. 1-2 years!? Why does it take THAT long?

2. 2012 doesn't exist. Do not worry, do not panic. And DON'T believe in the hype. The Earth isn't suppose to end until another 4-5 billion years from now. By then, the human civilization will have gone beyond Earth long, long time from now, into a galaxy far, far away. (kudos if you get the reference)

And now all I've been doing in the past few days in this thread is whine. :/ Sorry.

That's ok.

1. 1-2 years!? Why does it take THAT long?

2. 2012 doesn't exist. Do not worry, do not panic. And DON'T believe in the hype. The Earth isn't suppose to end until another 4-5 billion years from now. By then, the human civilization will have gone beyond Earth long, long time from now, into a galaxy far, far away. (kudos if you get the reference)

That's ok.

Hmm...

1. We're on the other side of the world.

2. They're still showing reruns of D/P

3. Pokemon isn't that popular over here.

4. There are other lame shows in the good timeslots.