Avatar, the movie really that amazing?

Maryyam

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you think is better?

• Titanic
    • Haven't seen either

Is Avatar really on par with the Legendary Titanic?

For those who have watched both movies, which one do you think is better?

Personally, i think that they are both amazing, but somehow, after watching Avatar, i was astounded by the originality of the movie. The graphics, and the amazing imagination behind it all. Somehow, Titanic can't compete with something this original.

But then there's always the fact that Titanic came out almost a decade before Avatar...

What do you guys think?

I personally have to go with Avatar. I've seen it twice already, and plan on going back just to pick up on things I've missed. Avatar has an attention grabbing story plot, amazing graphics (I prefer 3-D over 2d, though they are both amazing), and I just fell in love with the whole concept of Pandora.

Avatar dang straight. It was simply amazing. And I saw it coming as highest grossing movie of all time when it was $2 million away.

Avatar is the best movie I've ever seen (although weither or not it's better than the Dark Knight has yet to be seen).

I personally prefer Titanic simply because it's more original ;P Avatar was good, don't get me wrong, but it's a Pocahontas story with fancy graphics and an audience-wanted ending.

The ending ... that was cheating >_> All those creatures just swooped in and saved everyone, instead of people having to suffer consequences for attacking the settlers.

But awesome graphics (X

I personally prefer Titanic simply because it's more original ;P Avatar was good, don't get me wrong, but it's a Pocahontas story with fancy graphics and an audience-wanted ending. The ending ... that was cheating >_> All those creatures just swooped in and saved everyone, instead of people having to suffer consequences for attacking the settlers.

But awesome graphics (X

I actually said something similar to this (even made the Pocahontas reference!) but I just read the Debate rules and got scared of being banned xD.

However, I think Titanics story is way more moving, maybe because it's more 'acted' (as opposed to mostly animated). I liked the graphics in Avatar, but the story wasn't nearly as beautiful as Titanic. And I found Avatar to be quite predictable.

I honestely don't really get why people call Avatar 'the best movie ever', I seriously don't. Okay, the graphics are pretty, but the story was bland etc. And I felt that the 3D part didn't really add much. (and those glasses give me a headache).

Avatar was visually stunning. Wonderfully, spectacularly stunning. But the story just was one we've all seen before. The stereotypical villain wasn't really my cup of tea either, and the characters (for the most part) were pretty one-dimensional. I *did* enjoy Avatar a lot but it could have been a lot better.

I actually said something similar to this (even made the Pocahontas reference!) but I just read the Debate rules and got scared of being banned xD.

However, I think Titanics story is way more moving, maybe because it's more 'acted' (as opposed to mostly animated). I liked the graphics in Avatar, but the story wasn't nearly as beautiful as Titanic. And I found Avatar to be quite predictable.

I honestely don't really get why people call Avatar 'the best movie ever', I seriously don't. Okay, the graphics are pretty, but the story was bland etc. And I felt that the 3D part didn't really add much. (and those glasses give me a headache).

lol i agree with the glasses giving me a headache,

the whole time i was fidgeting with them >.<

Avatar WAS an amazing movie, but like what's been said, it's been done before and we all know the basic plot. There was pretty scenery and a cute story but it's been done before, but this time in a more modern way I guess. Still, Titanic was better in my opinion. The story was even more beautiful and touching and the fact that it was TRUE and that the movie gave us a good look at what actually happened, Avatar really can't compare. From the start of Avatar I knew how it was going to end anyways. Avatar was pretty, but really that was just about it.

I liked Avatar. Nice graphics and stuff, but I also thought it was cool because it was kind of like War of the Worlds, but backwards, where we're the aliens attacking people, not the other way around. I just thought it was cool to see that concept being played out.

And I loved the George Bush references :D

I liked Avatar. Nice graphics and stuff, but I also thought it was cool because it was kind of like War of the Worlds, but backwards, where we're the aliens attacking people, not the other way around. I just thought it was cool to see that concept being played out.

And I loved the George Bush references :D

i aggree, i don't understand how people can say it's not original, i mean Titanic is based on a story, how is that original? A story about a shipwreck? I'm not against titanic, i loved the movie, but for me, everything about Avatar, from it's graphics, the story and characters were really amazing. The plot is not overdone, as you said, how many times are we seeing the aliens as protagonists and humans invading their land? It took an idea and completely turned it around, that's original, not over-done.'

I think avatar was way better in 2d, I mean seriously, u pay a bunch more to wear weird glasses and a headache. 3d has no difference!!!!(but the movie was awesome. unobtainium...) :graduated:

I havent seen it yet, so im not qualifyed to speak on the subject but ill at least say it stright up. I dont see what is so great about avatar dont get me wrong it looks like a good movie. its just strange that it'd beat titanic in the box offices.

i aggree, i don't understand how people can say it's not original, i mean Titanic is based on a story, how is that original? A story about a shipwreck? I'm not against titanic, i loved the movie, but for me, everything about Avatar, from it's graphics, the story and characters were really amazing. The plot is not overdone, as you said, how many times are we seeing the aliens as protagonists and humans invading their land? It took an idea and completely turned it around, that's original, not over-done.'

Maybe Titanic wasn't original either, but at least the story was less predictable. I know it's based on a true story so in that sense it _was_ predictable, but I just felt that the story was better and actually moved you. I think Avatar is pretty forgetable.

Also, I think the new Alice in Wonderland is gonna be the best 3D movie, when I saw the trailer it looked really cool.

And Avatar didn't play in 2D anymore when I went to see it :( so I was forced to cough up the extra money (grrr).

I really enjoyed the movie. It was more enjoyable because I think Michelle Rodriguez is hot. Oh, and how can you go wrong with Sigourney Weaver? I don't care if it was very similar to Pocahontas.

I can't wait to read the book!

Maybe Titanic wasn't original either, but at least the story was less predictable. I know it's based on a true story so in that sense it _was_ predictable, but I just felt that the story was better and actually moved you. I think Avatar is pretty forgetable.

Also, I think the new Alice in Wonderland is gonna be the best 3D movie, when I saw the trailer it looked really cool.

And Avatar didn't play in 2D anymore when I went to see it :( so I was forced to cough up the extra money (grrr).

to me it didn't matter if the story was predictable, i mean we go out to watch movies to get away from something that's too 'real' and enjoy the unrelaisticness(not sure if that's a word :guiltysmiley:) of the cinema. I liked titanic, and i agree that the acting was really good, but it had the same basic plot as well, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, the girl has another man...the only thing that was different was that in the end he dies while she lives on loving him for the rest of her life...

it was nice and melodramatic, but the fact that Avatar has added the whole pandora theme into the story is really unreal and very original. As for it being predictable, as i said in one of my earlier posts, Avatar is quite original in the sense that humans are the antagonists in the story (except for a select few), most alien movies we watch the humans are the protagonists, so it was nice seeing us as the invaders/bad-guys against another race of beings.

As for the 3d aspect, I'm sure that it will only get better and better as more movies come out 3d, so we can't be fighting which movie has better 3d effects, the reason i even mentioned the visuals was because of the vivid creature in the movie, they seem really real and well thought out.

...Sorry for the long rant, but i had to get it out of my system

Oh my goodness you're right! Alice in Wonderland need to be more hyped, it's gonna rule. Thanks for reminding me to make a note of seeing it :)

I personally had no idea what would happen. I thought it would end A LOT but it kept going. I don't see how people say Avatar was predictable. The graphics were amazing, I loved the story, and there were great characters.

I don't really think one is better than the other because they are too similar. Titanic was "that" generations Avatar. The picture, the story, the characters, the length of the film, the shooting style - everything. People were enamored by it like they are with Avatar.

Both were great, both are going down in history as James Cameron's best - just as they should! Titanic and Avatar will always be classics!

I think avatar was way better in 2d, I mean seriously, u pay a bunch more to wear weird glasses and a headache. 3d has no difference!!!!(but the movie was awesome. unobtainium...) :graduated:

Actually, I thought the 3D was a pretty cool effect, and where I saw it, it was only $2 more than the price of a normal ticket. The 3D added depth to the picture screen, not really where they popped out at you (personally, I think that would've been annoying), but more of that diorama effect. It was actually a bit weird at first, but then once you got used to it it was pretty good.

Oh, and it's cooler when you get to keep the glasses :D

Actually, I thought the 3D was a pretty cool effect, and where I saw it, it was only $2 more than the price of a normal ticket. The 3D added depth to the picture screen, not really where they popped out at you (personally, I think that would've been annoying), but more of that diorama effect. It was actually a bit weird at first, but then once you got used to it it was pretty good.

Oh, and it's cooler when you get to keep the glasses :D

all my friends (i went with a group of 8 ppl) left their glasses with me, now i have a lifetime supply of 3d glasses ...

too bad they make u pay each time for new ones (it's included in the price for the movie >.<)

I saw Avatar for the third time today. XD There really is nothing new in it; the Na'vi are pretty cool, as is the way the planet works and the language, but the story and characters are more predictable than any other movie I've seen. It's a whole lot of fun to watch because it gives you exactly what you want, though. Romance? Got it! Giant robots? TONS of them. Inspirational speeches about environmentalism and THEY CAN TAKE OUR LAND, BUT THEY WILL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM? In spades. It's so, so pretty to look at, too; it's the kind of movie where you enjoy just turning your brain off and letting it go.

Also, Quaritch is amazing. It is difficult to describe how awesome he is without expletives, so we'll just say that he's an excellent villain.

I saw Avatar for the third time today. XD There really is nothing new in it; the Na'vi are pretty cool, as is the way the planet works and the language, but the story and characters are more predictable than any other movie I've seen. It's a whole lot of fun to watch because it gives you exactly what you want, though. Romance? Got it! Giant robots? TONS of them. Inspirational speeches about environmentalism and THEY CAN TAKE OUR LAND, BUT THEY WILL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM? In spades. It's so, so pretty to look at, too; it's the kind of movie where you enjoy just turning your brain off and letting it go.

Also, Quaritch is amazing. It is difficult to describe how awesome he is without expletives, so we'll just say that he's an excellent villain.

i agree with what you said about tuning out your brain and just enjoying the movie, its a type of movie you can watch over and over again