Dragon Cave Discussion Thread

Ruto

Hello people.

The Dragon Cave eggs seem to have been getting really popular recently, and because not all dragons can fit into one signature (I know for a fact :P), Anime, Cameron, and I decided to create a feeding thread (because we're awesome like that b)). You may post your hatchlings and eggs here to further increase your clicks and views and whatnot.

HOWEVER, please remember to stick with the seven word rule. Don't just post the images of your eggs and leave. Also, please refain from egg spamming (refreshing eggs over and over). This can easily kill an egg or hatchling and no one wants that. Also also, don't continually post the same egg images. Just once is enough.

If your new eggs go more than a day without being added, please PM Anime or Ruto and we'll fix that little error.

Have fun people.

IMPORTANT

If you have adoptable eggs in your signature, a maximum of 5 adoptables are allowed on one line. That's it. We don't want to clutter the page with images either! Five adoptables, one line.

We would like to request your scroll name upon posting your dragons, so we can make your name link to your scroll for others to see/admire.

Please note that unless you actually post your eggs and/or hatchlings, they will not be added to the list. We do not have the time to check scrolls all the time or get the eggs/hatchlings out of signatures. Also, please do NOT use the tinyurl version of the code.

NEW!

Please do not post asking for people to click your eggs and hatchlings unless they are emergency. Posts consisting of only "Click my eggs please, they need more clicks." is spammy.

UPDATE

All eggs and hatchlings can now be found HERE on the Viewing thread. Please continue to post all of your dragons here and they will be added to the viewing thread.

'NOTHER UPDATE

Ok, a note on growth changes:

In order to make things less linear, there has been a change. In theory, every time an egg/hatchling gets a view or click there's a "dice roll" to see if it hatches. At the start the dice is geared towards not hatching, but as time and clicks accumulate, the chances get higher and higher. As such, two eggs from the same laying may hatch at completely different times. The general idea is that an egg with enough views will hatch in the 4 to 3 days left range. Now, this is where the problem is: Because this change was made last night, the many views and such that dragons had BEFORE the serve change aren't set to count, so they're taking longer to hatch/grow up than normal. Once this wave of eggs and hatchlings goes through things should stabilize and none of them will take tons of extra time anymore. If you think yours is falling behind, post it in a lot of places and increase the views a lot and it should go quick.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since we get so many questions about all sorts of things here, we've finally given in and written up...

A Beginner's Guide to Dragon Cave (and General FAQ)

Obtaining and Raising Dragons

Q: How do I get dragons?

A: When you first start there are two ways- Either go to drops or the abandoned egg page and try to pick them up.

Q: What are drops and how do they work?

A: Drops are when eggs appear on the Dragon Cave front page. There are small drops every 5 minutes with 3 or 4 eggs in them, and larger drops with anywhere from 20 to 40 eggs (this is a very rough estimate) on the hour. The image of the egg is not shown (there is a generic mystery egg image in it's place) but the egg's description is underneath it. If you spot a dragon you want, click on it and hope you get it.

Q: How do I get eggs from the abandoned page?

A: Simply click on them. There is also a possiblity of hatchlings being abandoned as well.

Q: Why are the abandons blocking the cave entrace? There aren't very many eggs there at all!

A: The blocking is beacuse at one point the abandons got so backed up that there were pages and pages of them all in limbo (on the abandons but not visible) and it got to be such a problem that the block was put up. It's a little sensitive, but the abandons are MUCH clearer now and things are a lot smoother.

Q: You said there were two ways when you start out, are there others later?

A: Once you have an adult male and an adult female dragon, you can breed them. See the Breeding section for details.

Q: How many eggs/hatchlings can I have at the same time?

A: You can have 4 eggs or 4 hatchlings and not be able to get anymore. This is where the "cap" is set for outside dragons. If you have three eggs and three hatchlings you can get another of one type or the other. You also have a 5th egg slot for an egg gotten from breeding, but if you have 5+ hatchlings that slot vanishes. So if you get your dragons carefully, you have have up to 9 growing dragons on your scroll at the same time.

Q: When will my dragon hatch/grow up?

A: With the new system, that all depends on the number of clicks and views. A dragon with a good ratio will generally hatch when it has 4 to 3 days left. The new system has a "dice roll" effect with each click and view. At first, it is unlikely for an egg to hatch, but as time and clicks accumulate, the chance gets higher and higher. Even so, two eggs from the same laying with the same number of clicks and views could hatch at completely different times. This makes the site less linear and gives the dragons a little more personality.

Q: What are clicks and views?

A: Clicks are gotten when someone clicks on your dragon, and views are from when your dragon's image is loaded on a webpage. A unique IP will add a unique view every 24 hours, and views are whenever the image is loaded, regardless of the IP. Likewise, clicks are only added once every 24 hours per unique IP.

Q: What is a good ratio?

A: While a good ratio is defined differenly by different people, the main idea is that a dragon with a good ratio will grow up in the normal growth range, when it has 4 to 3 days left on it's timer. Often times it will all ready be cracking and/or have a large hole in it by the time it enters this range.

Q: How many clicks and views do I need?

A: It varies from dragon to dragon. Go by the number of cracks in the egg or if your hatchling has wings to know.

Q: Where should I put my dragons to make sure they'll grow up?

A: If you're reading this, then posting them in this thread for a mod to add to the Viewing thread is a good way to start, and putting them in your signature is helpful as well. (Please please PLEASE note that you are only allowed FIVE adoptables of any kind in your sig, and they must be on ONE line. You have no idea how big a headache it gets to be when people break this rule.) If you still feel your dragons aren't growing up as fast as you'd like, then there are also many Dragon Cave fansites out there that will add people's eggs to their sites for viewing, and there is a LiveJournal community called DragonSpam just for posting dragons. (If you should join/have your dragons posted on any other site please be sure to abide by their rules.)

Q: I just viewed my egg/hatchling and it said that the shell seemed soft/it looked sick! What's wrong?

A: There are several things that can cause soft shell and hatchling sickness. Look at the offical Soft Shell guide on the Dragon Cave fourms for details.

Q: What if the time runs out on my egg/hatchling?

A: It dies. Dead eggs and hatchlings stay on your scroll as a broken egg or a gravestone for 2 weeks.

Q: How do I gift or get a gifted egg?

A: The safest way is over an IM of some sort. First, the sender gives the reciver abandoned/code link. It should say that they can't find the dragon when they go to it. Then, they say they're ready, and refresh like crazy. Not letting it load, just F5F5F5 over and over. The sender then abandons and send a message saying "dropped" or something to the reciver. They refresh for a few seconds longer for good measure, and if all goes well, when they let it load, there's code boxes there.

It is possible to send an egg using PMs as correspondance, but IMs are much safer and eaiser.

Dragon Options

Kill: Try and kill your dragon. There is a kill limit set in place so that you cannot kill more than 5 dragons before you are prevented from doing so for a set amount of time.

Freeze: (Hatchlings only) This will keep a hatchling for growing up. They won't die but they'll never be an adult. Frozen hatchlings no longer mature and gain a gender after they have been frozen.

Name: Name your dragon. This option is avalible on any unnamed dragon or hatchling but not on eggs. All names must be unique and anything inapproiate may cause the dragon to be killed or your scroll burnt (deleted).

Describe: (Adults and named hatchlings only) Give your dragon a description. See this thread on the Dragon Cave forums for guidelines.

Abandon: (Eggs, unfrozen hatchlings, and unnamed hatchlings only) Abandon the dragon for someone else to try and pick up.

Hide: (Eggs and unfrozen hatchlings only) Hide the dragon and prevent it from getting any more views or clicks. Commonly reffered to as fogging.

Breed: (Adults only) Breed your dragon. See the Breeding section for details.

Revive: (Dead hatchings and adults only) Try and bring your dragon back to life if it died. Can only be attempted once per dragon.

Breed Specfic Actions

These are actions that only dragons of the specified species can do, commonly called BSAs. There should be more in the new future.

Pink: Influence (Increases the chances of an egg being the gender of the dragon who used it.) Note: New pinks only. Classic pinks cannot use this action.

Chances unknown, but high enough for failures to be nonexistant. Eggs with more than three days left only. One Influence per egg.

Red: Warm (Decrease the time an egg has left by one full day.)

Can only be used on eggs with more than three days left, can be used once per egg.

Pebble: Earthquake (All eggs have a chance at hatching early. Risk of eggs dying instead.)

Affects all eggs on scroll when used. Chances of hatching and killing the eggs are unkown, and vary directly based on stage, views, clicks, and time left on the specific egg.

Vampire: Bite (Bite an egg. Will either turn the egg into a Vampire or kill it.)

50% change of full sucess, 25% chance the egg is converted but kicked off your scroll, 25% chance the egg is killed. Eggs with more than three days left only. A killed is IS counted in your overall kill count, and will stay on your scroll as a dead egg for the usual two weeks.

Breeding

Q: How do I breed?

A: Select an adult dragon on your scroll and choose the breed option, then select an adult dragon (the given list will always be of the avalible dragons of the oppsite gender) to try and breed with.

Q: How many eggs can I get in one clutch?

A: Anywhere from one to four. It is also possible for the dragons to not produce any eggs.

Q: What happens to my bred eggs?

A: You are allowed to select one of the eggs to keep and the others will be abandoned. You have an hour to select the egg you wish to keep, and after all of the eggs will be abandoned. Before you choose the eggs will be held on your scroll and you can have up to 8 held eggs at once. If you have 5 eggs or 5 hatchlings, all of the eggs will be auto-abandoned.

Q: Where can I see my bred eggs later?

A: All of a dragon's offspring are listed on their pages. Just go to one of the parent's pages and click the one you wish to check on.

Q: How often can I breed?

A: A dragon that has been bred will be avalible for breeding again in exactly one week.

Q: Why a week?

A: This is to prevent people from breeding massive amounts of dragons and abandoning them, which would cause the server to crash.

Q: Are there any dragons that cannot breed?

A: Yes. Chickens, Dinos, Paper dragons, Leetle Trees, Cheese dragons and Vampires dragon cannot breed. Valentines and Christmas dragons from any year can breed, but will only produce eggs with the species of the other dragon unless it is the week around their respective holiday.

Q: Can I breed my Gold and get another Gold?

A: Yes, but GoldxGold, SilverxSilver, and GoldxSilver pairings will never produce. If you breed your Gold with a more common dragon you can eventually get a Gold egg though. (My Gold here is proof of that)

Q: Why aren't there any males avalible for my female Split? or Why isn't my male Split showing up on the avalible males list?

A: Split dragons can only be bred with other Splits.

Q: What about my Pygmys?

A: Like Splits, Pygmys can only breed with other Pygmys.

Q: It says that Ochredrakes only breed with other drakes. What does this mean?

A: At this point in time, we're not sure. It is assumed that other drake species will be released eventually.

Q: My dragons didn't have any eggs even though they're compatible! Will they ever have eggs?

A: Yes, if you keep trying. There are some species crosses that have very low or even zero chance at producing though.

Q: How do I get a Vampire egg? I've never seen them in the cave!

A: Vampires were only avalible form the cave Halloween 2008. Halloween 2009 they were given the Bite ability, allowing them to bite other eggs in hopes of changing them into new Vampires. See the Breed Specific Actions details above for more information.

Other

Q: Are there any dragons that only come in one gender?

A: Yes. Chickens, Classic (hot) Pinks, Purples, and Valentines are all female, and Christmas 2008s are all male. Also, it is worth noting that all Dinos are now genderless, and any new Papers will be as well, though unlike Dinos, those that all ready had genders still have them.

Q: How many kinds of dragons are there?

A: There are currently 59 species of dragon total. But it should also be noted that:

• Three of these species have Alts.
  • Six species have different sprites for males and females.
  • Three species have two different varations (though neither are an "alt"). One you can tell by the top color on the egg, the other you must wait untill it hatches. Both varations can be either gender.
  • One species comes in four different colors. Please see below on getting different colors.
  • Two species can only be obtained by breeding specific breeds of dragon together (see below for details).
  • Five species (including one with three different adult sprites) are Seasonal Limited Edition Dragons that are unavalible until around their holiday.
  • One species was avalible in the cave when released but are since only obtainable by special means. (See Breeding -> Vamps above for details).
  • Five of the total are the five different colors of Dino. Two of the Dinos have the same egg description.
  • There is also a Chicken and a Leetle Tree.
  • Four dragons (Skywings, Frills, Ochredrake, and Dragon Horse) have the same egg description, so you can't tell which you'll get when stealing from the front page.
  • There are two unbreedable dragons that can only be obtained by special means.
  • Classic Pink dragons (the hot pink ones) are retired and unobtainable.

Q: What's an Alt?

A: Alt is short for Alternate. An Alt dragon is a dragon that has a different image than is normal for it's species. Vine and Black dragons have Alts, and there is a rock-based have a subspecies called Geodes that are considered a form of Alt.

Q: How do I get an Alt?

A: Alts are only gotten from breeding. You can breed one (or two) of the normal version of the Alt you want, or you can breed Alts to try for a new Alt. You do not need a purebreed pairing to produce an Alt. Geodes are special though.

Q: How do I get a Geode?

A: Geodes can only be bred by pure Stone, pure Pebble, or Pebble and Stone couples, as well as pure Geode couples and Geode-Stone and Geode-Pebble couples. A Geode bred with any other species will not produce any eggs.

Q: How do I get a Bluna?

A: Blunas are obtained by breeding a Skywing with either a Water or a Deep Sea dragon. No other combination of dragons will work, and the Skywing is the key in this so breeing a Water with a Deep Sea will not yeild a Bluna.

Q: How can I tell if I have an Alt?

A: It used to be that Alt eggs were darker than normal ones, but now they all look the same so you must wait untill the egg hatches to find out. This is often refered to as the Alt Lottery. Geodes, however, are darker than normal Stone eggs and completely different than Pebbles.

Q: How do I get red/green/blue Striped dragons?

A: Once you have a white from the cave (or any other color from the abandons, for that matter), you will get other colors when you breed. Which color you get depends on the species of the dragon it was bred with. When you breed two Stripes, you can get any color.

Some know colors are:

Green: Mint, Pebble, Vine, Frill

Blue: Water, Season, Guardian, Skywing

Red: Red, Balloon

Q: What is a Dorkface?

A: A Dorkface is a dragon who's lineage goes back to Midas Dorkface and his mate Shallyna'ar. These dragons are highly sought for their lineage and can come in any possible species of dragon. Always check the lineage of dragons you got off the abandons to see if you got lucky. ;)

Q: Is there a guide up anywhere showing all the dragons and what they become?

A: Yes, there is a current one on the Dragon Cave Wiki. For a long time it was against the rules to give exacts on which egg turn into which dragon, but that has since been repealed.

Last updated 02/16/10

Here are some of mine:

EDIT2: i took them off so there are less images here...

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Princess Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make sure all posts have at least seven words. These warnings are not to be removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

EDIT: YAY! thank you! i have four more eggs, is you could help that would rock.

EDIT2:same as above...

It seems like Dragon Cave is down at the moment. It's been this way since last night. x_x We'll update as soon as we discover that it's back up.

EDIT: Back up. ^_^

XD I enjoy opening all the different egg links at once and watching my slow internet connection struggle to load them all.

Well I managed to grab an abandoned egg - here it is: lZJl.gif

I saw those. I think they're pretty neat, if not a little big, though. o_O

EDIT: I just uploaded mine, but I'm not putting it in my signature. It's too big. xP

incubatorcheesymorganzo3.png

As I just have one egg at the moment, there's really no point in me making an incubator. :P

*goes to get more eggs*

Edit: I have a second egg now. :yes: ixcA.gif

it's too bad the incubators don't update themselves....

Well that would probably be a bit much for dragcave.net's servers. It's not exactly a light task to generate a composite image for several hundred users whenever their eggs update. :(

good point.

yay! my eggs turned into hatchlings!

vgv7.gif lT7z.gif ksyE.gif QStw.gif

*SCREAM!!!*

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM ON DRAGON CAVE!?!?!?

There was a post from TJ09 about some downtime. It should be back up ASAP.

In other news, my breedings have been very sucessful, so I have a bunch of abandoned eggs. xD

3iK1.gifs5in.gifMVSu.gifhoEQ.gifM1K7.gifh9Lv.gif

Speaking of breedings, I really should breed my skywing today...xD

EDIT: I can't for some reason.

Darn...

ANOTHER EDIT:

Boredom causes me to do this: Whiteskywingsprite.png

Oh joy. =K

lol

i've made little sprites too, but their not very good...

YAY! i can see the forum again!

EDIT: I saw this person's scroll:

http://dragcave.net/user/star5432

her 4 dragon eggs are close to dieing, and they are REALY cool, so i was hoping people could click them

qly2.gif L5o4.gif ziHl.gif SyNR.gif

EDIT2: ok, so just her pink is dieing, but still, the others are close

*is sad*

*sees hatchlings*

YAY THEY GOTS WINGS!*happy*

*Sees DC*

aw. *sad again.*

You're kinda mood swingy. ;D

And while DC was up and running, I bred my skywing and red and got a skywing egg. I have a lot of those. ;o

2an9.gif

:crying: i don't have a rare dragon.....

EDIT: YAY IT WORKS

*goes to DC to get eggs*

EDIT2:

RAW! it's down again... >_>

It's still down for me... *shrugs* I guess the Dragon Cave is getting a little too popular for its own good. :P

Edit: The cave is back up again! I have a new dragon by the way: A6PM.gif

YAY! i have 4 more eggies!

eJLQ.gif Vz74.gif LXWX.gif UcYl.gif

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make sure all posts have at least seven words.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.