Same Sex Marrige

CAV of Gang Green

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should Same Sex Marrige be allowed?

I feel uncomfertable being near bi-sexuals or gays, and I recently learned that New York (My hometown) has turned down the bill for same sex marrige. I was raised Catholic and I believe it's a sin to be homosexual. I don't mind the idea of homosexuality, but I say they shouldn't be married. If anything, stay together, but that is it. Like some say, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

What is your thought?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro same sex marriage. I have no hate.

In my opinion saying no to same sex marriage is like telling vegetarians that they are banned from any establishment that sells/serves meat or people who have follow a certain religion cannot go to rock concerts. Their personal decision to become a vegetarian or follow a certain religion is their personal choice. We are in no position to say what is right or wrong.

Treat others equally and how you want to be treated.

I'll have to say I'm for it. There's no shame in one's sexual orientation I believe. For most, it's probably their upbringing which shapes their mindsets to be uncomfortable or against such people, but it's really a lifestyle choice. Although I can't say that I'll feel completely at home if someone of the same gender hits on me, but if that's how they roll, I'm fine with it. They have the freedom to choose how they want to lead their lives, just like the rest of us, so why infringe on that right?

It's even worse for Asian communities in which the 'liberal' mindset is still not at the same level as that of our Western counterparts. One can be fined if they openly display such behaviour locally. I was once against it, but after my school invited a homosexual speaker to talk about his struggles about being accepted, I finally understand that perhaps they aren't so different and they too deserve to be welcomed into society.

I'm raised Catholic too, but that does not interfere with my opinion that it should be allowed. Love is love after all. It doesn't matter whether you love someone of the same gender, or as in Japan someone married his DS. I've known a lot of very friendly bi-sexual or homosexual people and I couldn't imagine life without some of them. They are just normal people like the rest of us and deserve to be treated equally.

Asia is a really large continent and I don't think that you can judge all of it's people you know :eh:. I am from Asia and although I don't know why anyone would want to change himself so drastically I do think that they should do whatever they want to do.

In general, the mindset is as such. That was according to the stats I found while writing a GP essay during my high school years XD (can't quote on it's credibility though.. Although through personal experience, that's what I believe). I do admit that there are SOME Asian communities which are rather accepting of such behaviour but just like in every other country, there are haters too.

This has been debated before on this forum I think. Anyways, I don't believe in marriage no matter who it is with. But I am for it. I'm a genderqueer pansexual myself.

I beleive that it's their choice and I have no problem with it at all. I think they should be allowed to be married because, well if they're not allowed too and say they're in love, what's the difference between keeping a gay couple and a straight couple from being married besides gender? It's all relative.

So yeah. I say yes.

Adam and Steve ^_^, I thought I made that up, in my head a few days back when some kids in my class had a similar discussion. I'm against it. It takes the meaning out of "Marriage" "Mand and Wife" etc. Even if they are allowed, it should be called something else. Calling it "Marriage" is an insult in myu opinion.

Marriage came about as a way of owning a woman. Back when wedding rings came about, they were a down-payment on the bride. There was no love involved. It was a way to merge your assets.

Oh and the argument that gay people are ruining marriage is very much void. Straight people did that all on their own with their high divorce rates. How many married gay and/or lesbian couples do you see getting divorced I ask you?

Well see the thing about all of this is that marriage gives you certain legal rights. Homosexual couples in a civil union don't have said rights. They want those rights. If a civil union had the same rights as a marriage, then I bet about 75% of homosexual couples would be satisfied. That's why it's called in a lot of cases the debate over Gay Rights.

And I was raised and consider myself a devoted Christian. I believe though that God should be a choice, after all, he gave us a choice. Gay couples may decide that they don't choose to believe him. Then what we consider to be sin doesn't apply to them anymore. Do we have the right to tell them what they're doing is wrong just because our God says it is?

And if you're going to argue from a religious standpoint, let's outlaw Santa while we're at it, because that promotes lying and lying is against the laws of the Bible.

Most laws today are to protect people from physical and financial harm. I don't see how gay marriage can harm anyone.

Oh, and here's an interesting thing that was brought up last time we had this debate on this forum:

10 Reasons to Oppose Gay Marriage

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things

like eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that

hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy

behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal

standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all:

women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is

still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed;

the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be

destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples,

infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our

orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents

only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the

values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we

have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without both a male and a female role model

at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to

raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never

adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the

service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

I voted "yes".

I am for it. My parents are against it but that still doesn't change my opinion. I think if someone is gay they are gay. That's completely fine. If they want to get married they should be allowed to get married (as long as they are valid age of course).People who are gay are just like us just a bit different, so I vote yes.

I remember this debate. My views have changed a bit since then. I believe that gay marriage should not be allowed in the sense of a Christian marriage, but that's only because same-sex relationships are specifically spoken against in the Bible, so they would be going directly against what they were swearing by. That said, I have no problem with gay/bisexual relationships. I believe people have every right to decide who they love and want to live with. I also believe that a civil union should have the same respect and rights as traditional marriages.

And if you're going to argue from a religious standpoint, let's outlaw Santa while we're at it, because that promotes lying and lying is against the laws of the Bible.

By the way, I'm totally for outlawing Santa. Learning he wasn't real was an unnecessary heartbreak. ;)

Of course it should be allowed.. I still can't believe people are against this..

However, when I went to a Tegan & Sara concert, almost everyone in the room was a lesbian and they were NOT there for the music, trust me. (Tegan and Sara is a band.. they're sisters and both gay, so now lesbians see this as some sort of 'hey, i'm a lesbian-meeting'), soooo that kinda freaked me out. But other than that, I have no problems with gayness.

My neighbours are actually gay.

Yes, civil unions should give the same rights to couples as marriage does.

No one ever seems to have any other excuse besides "It's a sin in my religion.".

Being ignorant won't get you any respect in this world, so open your mind before you open your mouth.

Not all marriages are Christian... There are Pagan marriages, Hindu marriages, etc.,

Also, my parents were married by a judge, not a priest. Marriage is not a Christian only type of thing.

If marriage was entirely a religeos ceremony, which was not acknowledged by the state government and seperate institutions i would have said not sure.

but marriage being largely a modern ceremony, representing the declaration of love and a legaly acknowledged relationship, I think it's absolutely appauling so many governments (not churches) are still maintaining the outdated homophobic views they do.

being gay is a ok. 0:)

I was once against it, but after my school invited a homosexual speaker to talk about his struggles about being accepted, I finally understand that perhaps they aren't so different and they too deserve to be welcomed into society.

I accept homosexuality. A frend of mine is bi-sexual. Religon is a very confusing thing and you have the ongoing battle on which religon is right, or if science is right with the big bang idea. Because of my religous grandmother, I was told it was a sin altogether, but I never would think of it like that. I'm really on the fence with this, but I'm leaning more toward now that I thought of it. Religon confuses everyone, and it makes me question the almighty...

A lot of Christians seem to forget their own religion. Love thy neighbor, hate the sin, not the sinner. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest ye be judged yerself is the big one a lot of Bible Thumpers seem to forget. It is NOT for you to judge. I'm Pagan and I seem to know their religion better than they do.

This is random but I saw something online a while ago. There are over or around 20 states that will allow you to marry your first cousin but only seven that will allow same sex marriage. Incest is a-okay but being gay is not?

What? lol

A lot of Christians seem to forget their own religion. Love thy neighbor, hate the sin, not the sinner. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest ye be judged yerself is the big one a lot of Bible Thumpers seem to forget. It is NOT for you to judge. I'm Pagan and I seem to know their religion better than they do.

Well, that's not necessarily true. Most of the Christians that stated their opinion here were okay with gay marriage.

The way I see it, nobody is "casting stones" or "hating the sinners", but more just defensive of something that they feel like would be violated by homosexuality. Some couples simply find it offensive that something they see as wrong is held at the same standard as their marriage.

Also consider the fact that the majority of American's are Christian. The majority of legislatures are Christian too. In that case, they try to appeal to the Christian population, because they of course want to get reelected. Legislatures are afraid to vote on such legislation because no matter what they vote, they'll lose votes, which could put them at a disadvantage come next election.

Not all marriages are Christian... There are Pagan marriages, Hindu marriages, etc.,

Also, my parents were married by a judge, not a priest. Marriage is not a Christian only type of thing.

I never meant to imply that all marriages are Christian. That's why I said "in the sense of a Christian marriage." I'm totally fine with the union; I just don't believe it should be done under a Christian ceremony.

I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but I'm all for it.

I'm not too knowledgeable in everything about the bible (shame on me for sleeping in religious ed.), but does it say that God himself frowns upon gay marriage? (If it does, could someone tell me where, so I can whip out my bible and store it away in my brain) I do know for a fact that it does speak of love more than anything, though. God loves everyone of his children, doesn't he? If you follow in Jesus and whatnot, you are his child, aren't you, regardless of your sexual orientation?

And besides, even though Christianity is the largest religion out there, it's not the only one, and it seems that a lot of people forget that in this debate (probably because Christians can be notorious for pushing there beliefs; my family included) So what if you aren't a Christian then? All this "sinning" and "God won't love you if you're gay" stuff... does that apply to you? I doubt it, but none of us really know, do we? I may undoubtedly believe in God, but who's to say there isn't, in fact, other deities out there? Or none at all? I may not believe that, but others do, and we should not be pushing our beliefs on those who don't see it the same as us.

So do I believe gay marriage is okay? Yes

Do others have to? No.

Should they be trying to stop it so vehemently? No

My friend has a really good outlook on this. She's Christian, and while she believes being gay is a sin, she is happy for gay couples, and she won't try to stop them from marrying, as it is none of her business. She could tell them of the message of God, but she won't adamantly stand in their way and prevent them from living a happy life together as a unified couple.

Well, that's not necessarily true. Most of the Christians that stated their opinion here were okay with gay marriage.

The way I see it, nobody is "casting stones" or "hating the sinners", but more just defensive of something that they feel like would be violated by homosexuality. Some couples simply find it offensive that something they see as wrong is held at the same standard as their marriage.

Also consider the fact that the majority of American's are Christian. The majority of legislatures are Christian too. In that case, they try to appeal to the Christian population, because they of course want to get reelected. Legislatures are afraid to vote on such legislation because no matter what they vote, they'll lose votes, which could put them at a disadvantage come next election.

I wasn't talking about the ones here, I was talking about the ones I have met.

However, I did meet a nice woman last year at my local bank who asked me if she could pray for me, randomly. Didn't know me, didn't know my religion, didn't know my orientation. When I said sure, I'm Pagan and gay though, she said that was fine and didn't try to send me off to a straight camp. She said God Bless You and I said Blessed Be and we went on our way.

I'm not even going to mention the whole church and state thing. However, I will say that if Houston, Texas can elect their first out lesbian mayor, then there is hope for humanity after all!