Guilds: Really worth it?

BevGB

I love guilds. I don't see them, like Xepha said, as a place to acheive your goals. I just join guilds to pass the time with my freinds and I like making my own guild with my freinds so we can drop one idea and make a new one whenever we feel like it.

Overall I say guilds are worth it.

I ran a Harry Potter guild once that lasted at least two or three years, and I think we had at least 200 members. The activity level varied throughout time, but I had a lot of fun running it, and I made a lot of great friends. Eventually it died of inactivity, but I loved it while it lasted.

Now I'm in a small guild dedicated to musical theater. No competitions, or prizes, or anything to gain really, just a few theater fans talking about what we enjoy. I haven't been in it very long, but it's nice to talk to others with the same interests, especially since very few of the people I know in real life care much about theater.

I used to be in a guild where I actually chatted on the boards every chance I get. Now though, with school, extracurriculars, work, etc, it's getting harder and harder for me to play regularly, much less devote time to post on message boards. TDN is different because it's not a scattered message board and I can pick and choose which threads and topics I want to follow up on, whereas with the guild boards it's 99% filled with "hey anyone here?" and the other 1% is "anyone help me with this quest?"

I'm actually in a guild right now, and they're really great, it's just that unfortunately I don't have the time to be as actively involved as I want to be.

I do think that most people would be more encouraged to post on the guild boards and stuff if TNT just places a rudimentary organization system for all the posts. Joining a guild and entering the board mid-conversation can be daunting.

I do think that most people would be more encouraged to post on the guild boards and stuff if TNT just places a rudimentary organization system for all the posts.

OMG, I could not agree with this more! I mean why even have guilds at all if they are going to make it so hard for us to run them. I was really excited about the TDN Fan Guild and I worked really hard on it for a good 4 months, but it takes so much effort to do even the tiniest thing. Not to mention that guilds have such a bad name now that getting people excited about them and/or finding help running them is really difficult.

So I basically kind of gave up. I mean the guild is still there and I still run it as best I can, but the new coding rules and the pet pages and all that...it just too much for be to handle. I can't make the guild as cool as I wanted to, and so it's just kind of space filler for my guild slot now, and saving me from getting invited to other peoples guilds. I'm not trying to complain, I know some people put in all the time and effort and make their guilds amazing despite all the challenges, but for me, personally, it's just too much.

When I first started playing neopets, I liked guilds. I joined them because of a certain subject that interests me, like role playing for example. But since about 3 years I don't feel the need anymore to join a guild and I can gladly do without.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have joined several guilds over the years but I am more of lone wolf and neomailer so I am not the biggest person when it comes to guilds. I usually join lab zap guilds, to help others, but other than that not really.

Yeah, I think it is worth it. Well, if you like taking your time doing HTML and showing off your stuff. However, this can get a bit annoying with the filters. They are good to also show off your wealth and give your opinion to large herds of people depending on your guild looks, theme, or how many friends you have.

Why do we need guilds theres no point

i mean i hate guilds

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Meowy) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts above 6 words.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please keep all off-topic links/images in your signature.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, my biggest issue with guilds and just interacting in general on neopets is the maturity level (or lack thereof), and I'm sure a lot of the older neo players can attest to that. Most of the guild's I've joined and seen all tended towards what the person above me posted, low content, with tons of spamming, and no coherent train of conversation. I remember one guild this girl spammed "lol im bored guyz" 32 times, completely filling two pages worth of messages. Being 21, in college, and playing neopets mostly for killing time between classes, trying to talk to 12-15 yr olds is really frustrating. Plus, I'm an English major, and the majority of people's spelling, grammar, and sentence structure is absolutely horrific, and that REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS. These boards actually don't seem bad at all, aside from the occasional poster. I think I might stick around these. I've completely sworn off guilds though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried out way too many guilds in the last 6.5 years and I did find one with nice people, but I swear, overnight it just asploded or something. The layout completely failed, people stopped posting, the leader and the two people under her were frozen...it was bad. I couldn't find anything good after that, so I just gave up.

I did make one quite a while ago, but now I can't update it because of the new filters or I'll lose the layout and I can't find any more that work. >< It's for Neo members of 5 or more years playing, but it's just me right now (basically I made it then abandoned NP for half a year...).

I'm kind of thinking of making a shopping guild. Not like...OMG WE LUV SHPPNG! because, really, I'm not a fanatic about it. I just want to make a guild where every week or two, the guild members scout for a fairly decent shop and then all at once, we attack it and buy absolutely everything. Then maybe we'd auction all the stuff off dirt cheap, like those 1NP auctions other guilds do.

If ya can't find one, make one, right?

PS: there's no such thing as age-racism, it's called ageism lol. ^^;

I am not in a guild, I was looking for one actualy because I wanted to meet new neofriends, I was also looking for a guild that has a pet avatar lending system, because paying for all these pets yourself is almost impossible, so well I found these forums instead.

I don't think I will be joining a guild then, unless it is a not-too-big guild with close neofriends, that would be nice :) Just a hang out place to chill.

Most guild are really overdoing it those days, and yes lots of them are asking for donations and you never really know were all your nps are going... But this site looks really really trustworthy :) So I am not afraid, I think I will enjoy more here than in a guild on neopets.

Also, is this just me or do really complicated layout really annoys you? I prefer to keep it simple and neat, too much is really too much sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont think so.. i do think so just because of the poor people that dont have much people in their guilds. i says its not worth it.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

This post dose not add to the conversation. Also, do not post your eggs in every post. Eggs removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 1 month later...

I've had a guild before. It takes a lot of advertising to make it rise. What bothers me the most about it though is that when you close it down, you name travels around Neopia a lot. Not in the good way either...

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Stephé if you have any questions regarding this action.