Guilds: Really worth it?

BevGB

Hey everyone. I'm new here but I've been on neopets for about 6 years now. I'd like to get everyone's opinons on guilds.

Even though I have been playing for a very long time I've never joined a guild until recently. It's an ok place I guess but I decided to do some shopping in the guild shop only to find everything was WAY overpriced. I know that in order to keep the guild going the prices have to be higher than normal but some of the prices just seem really sky high.

So now I'm wondering if a guild is even worth it. Sure you get to make friends and talk with other people but as far as the actual game goes they can't really help you complete your goals. I personally seem to be doing ok on my own so maybe a guild just isn't for me but great for others?

Would love some opinons on this!

I guess it depends of your definition of a guild...

I don't believe a guild should be a place to help you achieve your goals. It gets really annoying when everyone starts to beg to get NP or items. However, a guild is a good place where to hang out with people who have some interests in common with you. You can learn things from other members, ask questions about the game...

I guess it depends of your definition of a guild...

I don't believe a guild should be a place to help you achieve your goals. It gets really annoying when everyone starts to beg to get NP or items. However, a guild is a good place where to hang out with people who have some interests in common with you. You can learn things from other members, ask questions about the game...

Well that's not what I meant. I agree. I would get very annoyed at a place where everyone is begging/asking for NP or items. When I say help with achieveing your goals I mean more like advice or hints/guides to help you along but most of that you could get from sites like this one. If that's the case do you really need a guild to tell you something you could look up yourself. I do see where it would be a good way to make friends but yet again that's something you could do on a site like this.

Maybe I just don't understand guilds and how they work. And maybe I just haven't found the right guild for me. My experience so far has been blah at best with them.

?*shrugs* I don't ask people in my guild to donate (on side). I just join guilds for html/css updates and to help people with coding. That's pretty much it. But it's a great place to make some neofriends :) So I guess it all depends on your point of view.

Well that's not what I meant. I agree. I would get very annoyed at a place where everyone is begging/asking for NP or items. When I say help with achieveing your goals I mean more like advice or hints/guides to help you along but most of that you could get from sites like this one. If that's the case do you really need a guild to tell you something you could look up yourself. I do see where it would be a good way to make friends but yet again that's something you could do on a site like this.

Maybe I just don't understand guilds and how they work. And maybe I just haven't found the right guild for me. My experience so far has been blah at best with them.

Well, I do give advices, explanations, and point guides to my guild members... and I do it on this forums too. I like to help people whenever I can :). The difference is that in general, I'm more intime with my guild members than I am with TDN visitors and members.

Also some guilds can be very helpful. My guild (before the main persons account got broken into) was very good about keeping the book list updated. Since it is something that changes all the time it was very useful for me and my reading pet quiggler513. It really depends on what you are using it for.

I have joined multiple guilds but V's guild is by far the best, the people there are just so kind and polite to eah other. My defintion of a good guild is a guild with kind and polite people, not a flammers guild and such. I always ask many questions but never ever felt like being treated like a 1337.

It all depends I guess...

Technically speaking, guilds shouldn't need or ask for donations ("guild shop") at all - its generally just NP to the guild owner. Guilds can't give NP or item prizes so what else could the NP really be going towards?

My guild is just a place to meet new people - we help each other when needed, chat a bit, encourage each other's goals, etc. Yes, its a lot like what is done here but in a smaller environment... everyone knows each other :)

I'm not really into guilds.

But I'm in V and CC's guild -- it's a really great place, even if I lurk around the message board too much :P

It's probably my favourite guild so far -- out of the few I've joined.

I've seen people ask questions and not been treated like a noob or anything -- that's what I call a good guild.

Like I said, I'm only causally into guilding, so it really depends if you like small places or not. ;)

Technically speaking, guilds shouldn't need or ask for donations ("guild shop") at all - its generally just NP to the guild owner. Guilds can't give NP or item prizes so what else could the NP really be going towards?

My guild is just a place to meet new people - we help each other when needed, chat a bit, encourage each other's goals, etc. Yes, its a lot like what is done here but in a smaller environment... everyone knows each other :)

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Prizes aren't allowed on neopets!! So aren't contests!

In my guild, donations go toward 1 np auctions I think.

for me, guilds are just for chatting. i joined my guild long time ago and it was an anime guild :P we generally discuss anything related to Inuyasha back then.. but it stopped airing so now we chat about life lol

The guild I'm in is a guild for people who have the lab map and zap pets hoping to get dream pets for people. Everyone there is really nice, and I'd totally be on the boards non-stop if I didn't have a bunch of other priorities that seem to take up all of my time lately...

Anyway, I'd recommend it if you have the lab map or checking it out and neomailing the owner if you want your dream pets put on the list. :)

I've finally had a chance to read everyone's replies. You all make very good points and I learned a lot. I didn't know you couldn't have contests. I've heard of some guilds doing that.

I'm still not sure what to do with mine. The people are nice and all but I just don't think a guild is for me. I may leave and just forget about guilds.

How do you find a guild to join? I joined the TDN one.. but whenever i click on someone's guild from their profile i see that i'm sort of locked out of it. Is there a trick I don't know?

I'm not really into guilds.

But I'm in V and CC's guild -- it's a really great place, even if I lurk around the message board too much :P

It's probably my favourite guild so far -- out of the few I've joined.

I've seen people ask questions and not been treated like a noob or anything -- that's what I call a good guild.

Like I said, I'm only causally into guilding, so it really depends if you like small places or not. ;)

Eh. I never have been a big fan of guilds though I have joined a few here and there just to test the waters and see what was out there. While the members were always super nice to me, I just never really saw the point in chit-chatting. I guess they make the game more fun for some people, but I'm sort of a loner and keep my neofriends limited. ^_^

I have been in a few guilds...and always left pretty quickly. For me it's a personality thing, though-- I'm a solitary type who tends to lurk. If I need help on something, I come in here for it. I suppose if I found a really good guild (that didn't get too annoyed if I didn't say anything at all on the boards for months at a time) I'd stick with it...but all things considered they just aren't for me.

When I played back in the day, I was the lone wolf. I never really joined any guilds or anything. When I came back 3 months ago, I joined this one guild because the people in it were very friendly. However, since the guild was pretty new... the guild eventually fell inactive. Sadly, I left. However, I joined a guild called Artacular and I've been a member for a couple of months now and I'm very happy. I get great feedback in regards to my art and I enjoy chatting with the folks about the BC and the AG and just random stuff. It's a pretty good place to be.

So I think it all depends on what you are involved with in the game and such, and finding a guild that suits those interests.

Eh. I never have been a big fan of guilds though I have joined a few here and there just to test the waters and see what was out there. While the members were always super nice to me, I just never really saw the point in chit-chatting. I guess they make the game more fun for some people, but I'm sort of a loner and keep my neofriends limited. ^_^

I have been in a few guilds...and always left pretty quickly. For me it's a personality thing, though-- I'm a solitary type who tends to lurk. If I need help on something, I come in here for it. I suppose if I found a really good guild (that didn't get too annoyed if I didn't say anything at all on the boards for months at a time) I'd stick with it...but all things considered they just aren't for me.

I agree with both of you. I think I'm the same way. I love being around people and chatting but mainly I'm a loner esp when it comes to Neopets for some reason. I always seem to have trouble fitting in with a group anyway. I guess I've always seen it as a one player game in way. There are plenty of site like TDN that I could visit to get any information I may need. That's the way I see it anyway. I left my guild. They were nice people but I just don't feel like I fit in and I'm not happy. It'll be better this way.

I joined a few guilds here and there and it was really hard to find one that I really enjoyed....until I joined this guild that made me happy =D

After a while though, the owner trusted me with the guild so now I was the leader O.o

But now we're closing due to real life and how busy we are and gonna get! So yeah...I pretty much consider this forums as my new "guild" since I'm still chatting with awesome people and meeting some new friends :)

I run a guild for fan's of TDN, some people have mentioned it already. We aren't very active...even less so than we were before one of my accounts got hacked and the layout got destroyed, but all that aside...the reason I like the guild is because I think of this site as my guild. Everything I could or would do in a guild I do here at TDN, so with that in mind I just kind of like having the TDN fan's guild as a place to advertise this site, and show my support for TDN out on the Neopets website. If you really don't think guilds are for you, but you do love TDN, you might consider joining. If your interested, there is a link to the guild in in my signature.

p.s. I know it looks crazy right now, the new code rules really messed up a lot of my pages, and the guild page is one of them.

I have always created my own guilds or won't join a guild unless I have some power lol.

But I always find that the guilds die down after a while.

Right now I am after a layout creator for a new guild I have planned which I plan to use to help people as much as possible.