CGers are back in shops!

-Ryan

Hackers have found a way around TNT's walls and now can put Cookie Grabbers into their shops again. Be wary of low prices. Apparently, they put the price low then have the item hidden when you show up so you'll have to search for it. This gives them time to get into your account before you even know what's going on. If you fall for this scam clear your cookies and change your secret word. Everyone looking for items, I suggest using the Trading post.

I don't think anyone has said anything about this on TDN yet.

UPDATE

Apparently they're back in userlookups too. Someone on the BD chat was frozen for having a Cger on their lookup. That means that less and less places are safe. Please be careful when checking out lookups now, too.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

Apparently thy can put CG links in board titles too now. If you're on the boards always be sure to hover your mouse over the topic of the board before you click so you can check at the bottom of your screen that it has a link to Neo in it and not to some other site that probably has a CGer or login page on it.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll be avoiding most shops for the time being. Having been CGed earlier this month, I don't want to risk losing my account again. Maybe we should consider compiling a list of TDN user shops, so that we can still buy stuff and feel more safe about doing so.

Since it's Dubloons and Codestones that are being targeted... does anyone have a dubloon that I could buy off of them? I'm going to try and get the 'got dubloons' avatar.

My neofriend got CGed while looking for a dubloon so this is why I ask. Don't want to risk it.

i don't see why people have to steal other accounts after all the hard work we put in to have it all taken...

i like the point masaryk_the_mad makes with shop list....i sell items in my shop cheap to help users achieve the packrat avatar and i don't want people to avoid my shop if they think i'm trying to scam them

i just hope that everyone read this topic and avoids getting scammed...

Oh.. Thanks! I didn't know something like this existed.

Maybe we should consider compiling a list of TDN user shops, so that we can still buy stuff and feel more safe about doing so.

Maybe not all users are trustable though, but it might be a good idea.

It's true that all users might not be honest, but I would expect that those people with decent post counts here, who are active members of the TDN community, aren't going to want to risk getting banned from the forum for cheating at Neopets. I know that it's safest practice to not trust other people, but if we didn't trust others ever, we'd never do anything involving other people. Personally, I'd rather take a risk on people here than the general public. Of course, this was just an offhand suggestion, and no one has to take me seriously anyway.

I was on a board last night and apparently there's some special code you can find in the coding. It starts with an X. I was on a board with someone who found that code in a shops script and he reported it. The account was later frozen. He was able to go into the shop without being hacked because he had something called Noscript I think it was called...

It's true that all users might not be honest, but I would expect that those people with decent post counts here, who are active members of the TDN community, aren't going to want to risk getting banned from the forum for cheating at Neopets. I know that it's safest practice to not trust other people, but if we didn't trust others ever, we'd never do anything involving other people. Personally, I'd rather take a risk on people here than the general public. Of course, this was just an offhand suggestion, and no one has to take me seriously anyway.

Yea, I know :) Most members that dare posting their shops are usually honest in such a small/close community.

Whoa whoa thansk for the heads up. Funnily, i just got my hands on a few items, including a codestone for cheap while stocking my shop and checking the shop iwz. Have already. changed my password and my PIN number.

I despisre hackers in general, and i have no idea why they do want to do. Internet annoymity gives one courage...they dont dare break into houses in real life, so they hide themselves like cowards behind a screen and take virtual property instead. Bunch of...

Enough ranting, im stressed enough. My shop is safe and just been restocked. I think i have a few codestones (may be gone by now), anyone wants to use my shop feel free.

I have a question: can the grabbers get PIN's as well? because I have almost everything on my account PIN protected. :mellow:

Nope, the PINs aren't stored with that data, so the CGs cannot get it directly. HOWEVER -- I highly suggest that, if you have a habit of staying logged in to your email, that you get out of that habit. I'm not sure if this applies to all CGers, but I know it happened to me -- if you are also logged in to your email when CG'd, they can get that info also and then you are utterly out of luck; as they can not only get/change your PIN that way but can disassociate your email from Neo entirely (I had this done to me; I had everything PINned and it was clear that the person got it somehow, as stuff disappeared from my gallery and my pet was pounded. The only reason I know about the email bit is that I had Neomails from TNT on my sides saying my email had been removed from Neo, and to do that you *must* go through the email in question. The person was bright enough to delete the evidence in my email itself and didn't touch anything else, so if it wasn't for that I might never have known; it was seriously unsettling, almost as bad as having a house broken into. :()

Another problem with the shop wizard scam is that if you click the link in the shop to report it, it takes you to a fake mod or admin page, and if you fall victim, your account will be permanently frozen, per Neopets.

No one is asking the MOST important question here and that is what is Neopets doing to protect its users? Why is it that it's up to the users to protect themselves from something they have no control over, but Neopets has all the control as to what people are allowed to put on their site? This has been going on for years already! Why is it that YOU the user have to avoid using their website because THEY can't seem to control what happens on their site? And what a sad statement that truly is if you PAY to use their site!

I fell victim to the "report shop" scam, and now my account is frozen. Read my story:

http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15752

About this whole thing... Am I correct if I say they can't do anything when you've cleared your cookies and browse with InPrivate (IE8 thing..) ? I just havent visited any shop since this message, because I didn't really need anything.