Speaking of Obama...

*Danielle*

How can that possibly be your favorite quote from him? It just makes him seem even more insufferable in my eyes. >_>

Because it was meant to be a joke. I like a person who can have a good sense of humor.

I was for McCain, but I hope Obama does a good job, obviously. I'll support him like I supported George W.

Why? Because he's our president now. That doesn't mean I always agree with him, but pointless bickering will get us nowhere.

Just my $.02 worth.

Well I do hope he does what he says he's going to. I do like the fact that he falsely claimed more black men were in jail rather than in college. :) Haha, funny.

He handled the question mark over his citizenship horribly and still to date has not produced his birth certificate to any court and whilst I am not saying that he is necessarily hiding anything it made it look that way, hence all the court cases which in turn has caused a lack of confidence from those who don't blindly support him.

People are still questioning where he was born? I thought they were over that. I mean, I doubt the US would let someone who's not an American-born citizen run. I mean, if he wasn't, why was he nominated by the democratic party?

Bush had a lot of experience when he was first elected, so no one was doubting him, that's why he wasn't as (over)criticized as Obama. MOST of the people I've come in contact with in my school, voted for Obama simply because he shares their skin tone. They were all about 'we NEED a black president, to represent the black people'. presidents don't represent a skin tone, they represent the United States of America as a whole. I want him to represent the entire US, not just 'his' race. BTW, Race is a product of society. We are all of the race of man. But that is a debate for another day. lol

I have doubts he can lead, I hope he can, but there are still doubts. I want the people he appointed to key positions to do what they need to do to take and keep our country out of the crapper.

Wow, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, at least I hope you didn't, but that sounded a little overtly racist. You tag that thing about the race of man on there at the end, like it's going to make it okay that you just accused most of the African Americans at your school of voting incompetently. Although I certainly agree race in and of it's self is not a reason to select a president, but for a long suffering minority to take pride in finally having a leader they can call their own is not something to scoff at. It's not even something white people can understand...but I would think as a woman you would sympathize more greatly.

I should think if we had a competent, capable, patriotic, successful, and inspirational female running for president you and I would vote for her based first on foremost on her ability to run the country. Still once you deemed her worthy would you not voice loud and proud how excited you were that we were FINALLY going to have a female leader. That said I didn't vote for Hillary because I didn't think she was fit to do the job, and like wise Obama is not the first African American to run for president and the "people who have the same skin tone" didn't just go randomly electing any of the previous candidates regardless of ability. Would you not be highly offended to hear someone say in a mocking tone something like "most the woman at my school just voted for Hillary cause she's a chick, and they were all like, we NEED a female president."

It would be innately nonsense to suggest that the only reason someone voted for a brilliant and inspiring leader was that he was their same color. People taking pride in someone they can identify with being elected president is not something we should take offense to or be threatened by. Obama never suggested that he was only going to represent people of his similar skin tone...that's just beyond reason to even suggest it. And as far as the birth certificate thing goes...actually I'm not even going to talk about that...the fact that it was even brought up I can't believe it.

I'm just telling you MY experiences. Of course, correlation does not mean causation. I know for a fact that there are some who did vote for him because of his views, not just his skin color. I was NOT being racist. That's as ridiculous as people calling me a racist because I voted for McCain. Do you see how ridiculous that is? For me to be labeled a racist because I did not vote for the man of color? That is wrong, is it not? To be called something I'm not because I voted for someone whose views I agreed with, not because he was my skin tone.

If you think it sounds racist, step back and take a look at the big picture. There was nothing racist about what I saw and what I heard when I talked to people who voted. I'm tired of being accused of being racist because I voted FOR McCain. I'm tired of being called racist because I am white, and did not vote for Obama.

Yes, I am a product of southern born parents. yes I live in the south, but that does not make me racist. I am not prejudice. I want someone who can do what they need to do to keep America running smoothly. I do not want to see people voting for those of their own skin tone simply because that is what they share. This was never an issue before Obama decided to run. There was never any words like 'racist' or 'prejudice' thrown about because someone did not vote for the person who was different.

If it makes me a racist because I voted for the person who I wanted, who had views I most agreed with, then by God, call me a racist. But YOU will be in the wrong, not me. Because I know what is in my head and in my heart.

Yes, there were people I met who were black and who voted for McCain, I know a couple of those who went against the grain. But what I have heard in my school is 'We need a black president'. Why? Why do we NEED one? There is no NEED. There is a WANT.

I do applaud the fact that he was able to get into office, despite the fact that he had an assassination attempt hanging over him. I do applaud that America has come a long way to allow a black man to run for the presidency. But with the same argument as the female president example, I did not and do not want Hillary, I never did. There were women I talked to who did simply because she was a woman. This is wrong. Don't vote for someone because of the 'simply like us' argument. Vote for them because they are competent and know what they are doing. Look what happened in England with Margaret Thatcher.

Okay, this is just a reminder to keep this debate calm. Racism is a topic that can get out of control real quickly, and I don't want that to happen here. Just keep that in mind.

Continue.

Woah, whoa...slow down a minute. I didn't call you a racist cause of who you did or didn't vote for. In fact I most certainly didn't call you a racist at all.

I would never label someone I know so little about something so derogatory as that. I said that you suggesting that African Americans only voted for Obama because they identified with his skin color sounded to me like a very prejudice comment to make, and even added to that, that I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound so derogatory it just came out that way.

I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that you were making a statement that no matter how you meant it, could be viewed as a prejudice comment, especially if you said it in front of someone who is very passionate about their race. Which is why I related it to women's rights, because I know, from your women in the military topic, that you are passionate about that subject, and I hoped you would see how even an innocent observation can make a minority feel like they are being stereotyped.

I asked you to look at what you said again from the prospective of how you would feel if someone said something similar about you and your candidate? And I think your response more than proves my point. You have obviously heard people saying you only vote for McCain because you are white (or a racist) and it clearly offended you, so why should you think it wouldn't offended the people on the other side of the fence? I just think you should always think twice before making broad generalizations about a large group of people.

Let me voice my sincerest apologies for having conveyed to you for even one minute that I thought you were racist for voicing your political opinions and voting for who wanted to vote for. Of course that is not what I meant, and upon re-reading what I wrote I really don't see how you viewed it that way. I didn't say anything about who you did or didn't vote for, or even really much about you at all. May I also add that I am incredibly impressed by your willingness to solider on defending what you believe in the topic where you are obviously a minority opinion.

Although that said since Obama is president now. Might it not be time to find a new avenue for the political progress you seek? I mean McCain's time has past. Signing his praises now won't really get anything accomplished. Would it not be better to find a productive outlet for your opinions rather than just continuing to voice how much you dislike Obama? I mean I know that is kind of what this topic is about, but I mean in terms of real world progress.

I know of course this ragging on the president thing has become like a great American past time. I'm certainly not suggesting that you are the first or only person to approach the loss of their candidate with animosity, but you seem like a very intelligent capable person and I would like to see you voicing a more positive/productive message than, "here are all the reason Obama shouldn't have been elected and here are all the reason I don't like him still."

And also just to take this discussion to a more intellectual place and perhaps a less "let's all argue with ROTCChick" place...

Since ROTCChick brought the whole race thing up, let's take a look at it. I mean it's an interesting point. Obama wasn't the first Black man to run for high ranking office. He wasn't even the first African American to run for president, so why all of sudden all this race focused hoopla? Do you think the media set the tone for making this a "race" race, did the republicans attacking his "radical" racial background make it an issue, or do you think Obama himself set the tone by being overtly focused on the African American community?

I personally think Obama himself said a minimum amount on the subject of race. He's supporters may not have downplayed it, but I think he stood proud on the issue while also trying to quell suggestions that this alone was a reason to elect him president. I think mostly the media was to blame. Long before McCain even entered the big picture the America media made it the Black Man vs The Woman. Which was disappointing a paltry thing to hear the media discussing when there where so many real issues to be focused on, and at a time when the American people were so desperate for some real political guidance.

It may be because i never payed attention to politics until recently *or maybe my teacher was so boring i fell asleep in his class all through out H.S.* but i never heard of any black presidental candidates except for Jesse Jackson *who actually ran before my time...1988 was his last run and the year i was born*.....

Long before McCain even entered the big picture the America media made it the Black Man vs The Woman. Which was disappointing a paltry thing to hear the media discussing when there where so many real issues to be focused on, and at a time when the American people were so desperate for some real political guidance.

I agree. There were times *too many to count* that i would hear "respectful" tv anchors discussing if we would have the 1st African American or the 1st Women take office.....There was little if any coverage on McCain and even less on the rest of the nominees *at least thats how it was around here*.....Now that we are in a new millenium and more people are realizing *skin tone doesnt matter* i think the media took advantage of the situation to get the "biggest headlines" with the most money.

**i could be way off but thats just how i see it.....If im wrong in anyway i'd like to know ^_^

I think the media vastly blew the whole thing out of proportion. Again, I bring up political correctness. We are so eager to show we are nowhere near being racist, or prejudice, that we overcompensate. But that is just my humble and lowly opinion. I do not agree with the people who complain about 'the black man is stealing our jobs'. No, they aren't, they're merely becoming better educated and able to do the job better because YOU felt just by being a majority, you would get the job. There is a story my dad told of a man who owned a business, and he just happened to hire all young white men. People pelted him with insults and called him a racist, because he did not have a single black or hispanic person on his employee list. So the man, knowing in his heart that he was not giving jobs to the white man because they were white, took out the resumes and job applications from both backgrounds (white and black) and showed them, that coincidentally the white men were better suited for the job, and so got it.

We are so paranoid about being called a racist, that we are afraid to hire those worthy for the job. We are so paranoid of being considered racist that we make sure to broadcast news about a minority beating the odds, and overflow the airwaves with it. The political correctness society is a double-edged sword.

What made Obama less qualified than McCain? McCain would just allow more deregulation, and as we can see from history, in times of economic crisis, more regulation is needed.

People didn't just vote Obama just because they're afraid of being called racist. Granted, some may have, but not many. I mean, one, the votes are confidential and nobody can see who you voted for, and two, they could always lie and say they voted Obama when they voted McCain.

I'd like to bring up FutureTXGovernor's point. There have been black candidates before. If what you're saying is true, how come they didn't get elected before Obama?

We are so paranoid about being called a racist, that we are afraid to hire those worthy for the job. We are so paranoid of being considered racist that we make sure to broadcast news about a minority beating the odds, and overflow the airwaves with it. The political correctness society is a double-edged sword.

You are so right about this. Not just in the job field, but everywhere. It's funny when people are afraid to ask where I am from (I'm South Korean), but they stumble over their words enough that they just sound silly. It's kind of sad that people still walk on eggshells sometimes just simply to ask if I know how to speak Korean, lmao.

On the note of Obama's "race hoopla", lol, I honestly think we were the ones who have done it. Not "we" as in the Daily Neopets ;) but "we" as in Americans. Obama worked so hard to get out of the "too white to be black" persona and it's quite evident that Obama himself isn't serving a race set on skin tone. Like I said before, we walk on eggshells about the silliest things. The fact that he was not the typical old, white male candidate, people freaked out. Then the people in Chicago started throwing out the "too white to be black" card. When he tried to dig himself out of that, he was "too black" for the white population because he may have related TOO much with the black population. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but it's all really ridiculous to me. Obama is a fully capable and intelligent man, regardless of the colour of his skin. We are just so good at skewing the important parts and we focus on superficial traits that his "race hoopla" was all self imposed, really. So, rotcchick wasn't wrong to say that there were African Americans voting for him just because he was black, just as there were women voting for Hilary just because she was a women, because it is very much true, sad as it is.

And for a short answer, yes, the media had a lot to do with this ;)

@Unstream: Because back then we were in a different time, when racism was a bit more...well accepted isn't the word but maybe widespread? And now we're in a time where we can't look racist one bit. As in what made him less qualified, well I never said qualified, I said experienced, didn't I?

Also, has anyone seen that about 4 of the people Obama wanted to appoint hasn't paid their taxes? one so far got appointed and 2 others declined, and one was postponed from getting the position for now.

Also I'm not a fan of this new plan he's trying to pass. Too much pork spending. Yuck.

• 2 months later...

He was not picked for President because of his race, he was picked because he was the best person for the job. I don't think anyone in the U.S. would really care if someone thought they were racist. Well, someone who is old enough to vote, anyways. When voting for someone that high in power, nobody would say "Well, I don't want to be racist, so I'll vote for Obama !", they would vote for the person who they believed would do the job well.

And I believe, so far, he has been doing his job well. He's very good at speaking to the media, and he hasn't had any trouble-making scenes so far. I'm quite glad that he was chosen.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Ruto if you have any questions regarding this action.