What kind of people become Neopians?

Khepera

I've had this idea about Neopets for quite a while. The game is a lot about collecting stuff: neopoints, highscores, trophies, avatars, stamps, neodeck cards, and so on. It's not really about competing with other players, except for in the battledome, or when you're trying to get a good score for a trophy and such. A lot of it is really about setting and achieving goals over an extended period of time. Perhaps unlike most games, getting an impressive user lookup may very well take several years of daily playing.

I think this sort of thing is for a certain kind of people. As for myself, I am 23 years old. That's probably a lot when it comes to Neopets! Yet, I play daily, and I take great pleasure in doing so. It never ceases to be fun, because of the game's versatility. Couldn't get that gameavatar? Well, get a new goal then! And so on. There's always something new do do, and it's rarely too difficult. It just takes some practice and a lot of time. I enjoy collecting things in this manner, and I imagine that my Asperger have something to do with it. So my idea is this... are there a lot of neopians who have Asperger's syndrome? Or who can identify themselves with many of it's traits?

Not trying to put anyone down here, of course. I don't think you have to have a neuropsychiatric impairment to enjoy Neopets. But I do think that if you have Asperger's, you may very well be particulary drawn to the game because of the above mentioned characteristics. Also, it may just attract "geeks" in general. I know some of you are younger than 13, but you still write in flawless English which has impressed me on several occasions. Then again, you may not be either Aspergians or "geeks", but simply average people enjoying a good game. I'm not saying this is how it is. I'm just sharing some of my thoughts with you all, to see how well (or bad) they correspond with reality.

Perhaps this post is a bit too seriuos, but I like to think variation makes it interesting :P

I have a feeling that I'm on Neopets because I have autism... it might be more people who are mostly under 13 and/or are autistic. But I don't really know... but after about 2 years, I'd consider myself a Neopian...

I have a feeling that I'm on Neopets because I have autism... it might be more people who are mostly under 13 and/or are autistic. But I don't really know... but after about 2 years, I'd consider myself a Neopian...

I guess you confirm my prejudice :P It's just that Neopets doesn't really strike me as the average person's game. It's not about effects or graphics or anything like that. It's about that great thrill... when you get a new avatar, or Wheel of Monotony suddenly deals you a Paint Brush. I imagine this sounds a bit lame to a lot of people, but we all know how great that is! That's why we're here. And while I don't think autism is necessary to enjoy Neopets, I do think it helps if you happen to have it. Especially for someone who has played for a long time, and keeps going strong. I know many people who've created an account but got bored rather quickly.

But here, we all know better than that, right! :yes:

(Still, don't take this thread too seriously. It's just some of my free thoughts, and I may very well be way off.)

I have a funny feeling that you aren't off at all! I feel much safer at Neopets than... other sites. Plus, I have a strange feeling that I prefer to be with adults more than kids. My mother is surprised at how many adults are on here. I am really enjoying the TDNF much more than sites I used to go on.

Guest shanemk

I'm mentally just fine, as far as I know. No autism or autism-like 'disorders.' I put disorders in '' because its SUCH a touchy subject and I am simply using the word as it is used in science. Right now I havent been on the neopets main site, just logging in every now and then on Neopets Mobile, cause I am studying for upcoming education stuff, so I know I need to spend a while away from the main site cause I will want to play it more than a few minutes. I like neopets because 1-I can buy stuff and earn neopoints in pretty large amounts (I have hardly any money atm cause I dont have a job...btw I am 18), 2-its a decently nice set-up for rp'ing, even if the rp is just in your head lol. 3-And its a competitive environment, and I LOVE competition. Whether its competitive pricing in shop, working way up the battledome ranks, collecting more stamps than 'the other guy,' etc.

Perhaps. I'm rather OCD (I notice when my monitor has been moved a fraction of an inch) and there's something about being able to go through and do everything in an order and get all the things I want to do nice and neat that I just love. The community also seems more open than those I've seen on other sites. You can go to near any board and just start chatting and no one will mind, but I've never felt I could just jump into a convo on, say, Subeta or someplace.

I have a funny feeling that you aren't off at all! I feel much safer at Neopets than... other sites. Plus, I have a strange feeling that I prefer to be with adults more than kids. My mother is surprised at how many adults are on here. I am really enjoying the TDNF much more than sites I used to go on.
Well, maybe I'm on to something then :P And yes, Neopets is definitely "safer". It's cute and good fun, without being "childish". Also, doing the dailies and playing your favorite games becomes a habit of sorts, and habits are another thing that Aspies may be intrigued by. Neopets is "more of the same" to some extent, seeing as almost every Neopian probably has his/her own routine. First dailies, then playing the games, etc. It's sort of comforting to have routines like that. At least that's how many Aspies feel (though not necessarily about Neopets, of course).

I don't know if this counts, but I'm slightly bipolar and act similar to an OCD person on many counts.

Really, I agree with Anime. You can do things your way, how you want them on Neopets within the rules.

One of the first things I noticed about Neopets and TDN is that generally, you're accepted anywhere on the site xD That's an awesome vibe, no matter where you are.

I'm mentally just fine, as far as I know. No autism or autism-like 'disorders.' I put disorders in '' because its SUCH a touchy subject and I am simply using the word as it is used in science. Right now I havent been on the neopets main site, just logging in every now and then on Neopets Mobile, cause I am studying for upcoming education stuff, so I know I need to spend a while away from the main site cause I will want to play it more than a few minutes. I like neopets because 1-I can buy stuff and earn neopoints in pretty large amounts (I have hardly any money atm cause I dont have a job...btw I am 18), 2-its a decently nice set-up for rp'ing, even if the rp is just in your head lol. 3-And its a competitive environment, and I LOVE competition. Whether its competitive pricing in shop, working way up the battledome ranks, collecting more stamps than 'the other guy,' etc.

Well, it would be very strange if every Neopian were an Aspergian or "on the spectrum". :)

Perhaps. I'm rather OCD (I notice when my monitor has been moved a fraction of an inch) and there's something about being able to go through and do everything in an order and get all the things I want to do nice and neat that I just love. The community also seems more open than those I've seen on other sites. You can go to near any board and just start chatting and no one will mind, but I've never felt I could just jump into a convo on, say, Subeta or someplace.

Interesting :) As I just said to Fluffy Minion, the routine of it all can be very comforting and contribute a great deal to the gaming experience. I'm sure this could be true for a lot of people, not just for Aspergians like myself. I have slight tendencies towards OCD myself in certain regards, and Neopets can become sort of an outlet there. And why, I'm sure that many "neurotypicals" can enjoy the routine of it all as well. Just like the morning coffee while reading the paper. We all have our small routines in life that we take pleasure in :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not double post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Just like the morning coffee while reading the paper. We all have our small routines in life that we take pleasure in :)

Totally agree. I use Neopets as a break from work and real life. I do my dalies while waiting for my emails in the morning, play a game or two throughout the day when I just need to relax a bit. The have a bit of a shop sniping session or games playing session in the evening to unwind. Addicted - YES very much.

I don't know if this counts, but I'm slightly bipolar and act similar to an OCD person on many counts.

Really, I agree with Anime. You can do things your way, how you want them on Neopets within the rules.

One of the first things I noticed about Neopets and TDN is that generally, you're accepted anywhere on the site xD That's an awesome vibe, no matter where you are.

Of course it counts! It counts to be "normal" too. The idea is that a lot of Neopians could be psychologically predisposed for, say, collecting things etc. Being an Aspergian or bipolar is just talking about it when it's most tangible or obvious. And I agree on the acceptance. You're almost always welcome, even if you're a newbie. And Neopians like to help each other out, as with the ALP for instance :)

Well, none of this applies to me and I enjoy Neopets :P. I've made friends over there (because of it, and on Neopets) and that's what is keeping me there. I wouldn't see a point to keep going of everyone I knew was quitting. So it's rather because of social relationship that I'm there. I don't really work on goals or anything... I just hang out in my guild, work on my graphics and guides (for tdn). Just a way to help others people.

Depends on different people. Im 19, and i dont think im a geek. I entered neopets for the sole purpose of studying the ideas of world building and stabilization that exists in all forms of game/artistic creation. As a hopeful to enter the industry, i took on neopets as a personal research project. And then i got hooked in the process XD

I feel much better about being autistic now that I know someone else that's autistic is on the forum. I'm feeling even safer around here because there are quite a few adults who use Neopets as well as the forum. I'm planning on changing my profile statement to "Autistic and Proud". I've actually never told anyone that I'm autistic, but I have now. Khepera, do you want to add me on TDNF? And Neofriend me ready for when I turn 13 (April 12th) so I can accept then. :)

That's pretty interesting! I have never thought about that before. I have Asperger's and ADD as well as a few other things ^_^. I've had people jump down my throat about this before- yes, it is possible to have both.

But I know just what you mean! I'm 19 and my friends think it's a bit pathetic I'm on Neopets. I don't, whoever it on Neopets is there because it's something they enjoy. It's not pathetic. It's fun! I've never been into partying or cliche teenage stuff, I'd much rather stay home and get online. I'm also a geek- I'm a web designer and spend most of my free time on the computer. I'm very attached to my pets and terrified of being frozen. I know they are simply pixels on a screen. I know it's a game. But I get attached to 'objects'. Like toys. I guess Neopets is similar in a way.

I like to collect things so avatars are heaps of fun to me, I don't care if I never have them all (well, I can't, I don't have many of the retired ones) but that little 'Something Has Happened!' is such a good feeling. Especially when you've worked hard to get it.

And you saying that stuff about the under 13 members writing properly- I'm impressed too! It annoys me, more than annoys, to go on sites that are full of, whatever you call it... like text talk. (Even though I still write in proper English when I text). It's refreshing here.

I'm an Aspie. I like Neopets because it's repetetive and mostly the same, but it also changes so it doesn't get too boring.

I like that it combines fantasy and reality. I like that you can set goals and have fun trying to reach them. I like it that you can start as a Newbie with a newbie pack and end up being a millionaire if you want. I like it because there, the sky is the limit. You can be and do whatever you want (within the rules of course).

I feel much better about being autistic now that I know someone else that's autistic is on the forum.

Me too. I never realized that there were other autistics on Neopets. Although with the amount of people on Neopets, odds are some of them are autistic.

And you saying that stuff about the under 13 members writing properly- I'm impressed too! It annoys me, more than annoys, to go on sites that are full of, whatever you call it... like text talk. (Even though I still write in proper English when I text). It's refreshing here.
It's called chat speak, and yes it is annoyng. I like it that there's none of that here.

I feel much better about being autistic now that I know someone else that's autistic is on the forum. I'm feeling even safer around here because there are quite a few adults who use Neopets as well as the forum. I'm planning on changing my profile statement to "Autistic and Proud".

Sounds awesome :) I didn't think my thread would get any interest, but I was apparantly wrong. Sometimes being wrong is a good thing!

That's pretty interesting! I have never thought about that before. I have Asperger's and ADD as well as a few other things ^_^. I've had people jump down my throat about this before- yes, it is possible to have both.

But I know just what you mean! I'm 19 and my friends think it's a bit pathetic I'm on Neopets. I don't, whoever it on Neopets is there because it's something they enjoy. It's not pathetic. It's fun! I've never been into partying or cliche teenage stuff, I'd much rather stay home and get online. I'm also a geek- I'm a web designer and spend most of my free time on the computer. I'm very attached to my pets and terrified of being frozen. I know they are simply pixels on a screen. I know it's a game. But I get attached to 'objects'. Like toys. I guess Neopets is similar in a way.

I like to collect things so avatars are heaps of fun to me, I don't care if I never have them all (well, I can't, I don't have many of the retired ones) but that little 'Something Has Happened!' is such a good feeling. Especially when you've worked hard to get it.

It's definitely not pathetic! Perhaps it sounds a bit silly to play Neopets in comparison to, say, Halo 3 or such. Well, if it's silly, then that's what I am! (Of course, they are not mutualy exclusive; it perfectly possible to play both these games.) Like you, I spend most of my time in front of the computer, reading, writing, watching films, listening to music, talking to friends online, playing games, et cetera. When I get a small break every now and then, I can turn to Neopets for some quick games. There's no huge application to launch, and I can get something done in just a couple of minutes. I think this is another aspect that may be especially interesting for Aspergians and the likes. We generally like to fill every minute with something that we find meaningful. Neopets work quite well to fill out those few minutes here and there. Which is great! And yes, I am terrified of being frozen as well. Simply because I've spent so much time gathering avatars, stamps, etc. I don't know if it would be fun to have to do it all over again. So a frozen account would indeed be a sad thing.

I'm an Aspie. I like Neopets because it's repetetive and mostly the same, but it also changes so it doesn't get too boring.

I like that it combines fantasy and reality. I like that you can set goals and have fun trying to reach them. I like it that you can start as a Newbie with a newbie pack and end up being a millionaire if you want. I like it because there, the sky is the limit. You can be and do whatever you want (within the rules of course).

Me too. I never realized that there were other autistics on Neopets. Although with the amount of people on Neopets, odds are some of them are autistic.

It's called chat speak, and yes it is annoyng. I like it that there's none of that here.

It's very interesting to see that several people has announced themselves as Aspies or the like. My thoughts seem to have been correct, at least in some regards. While not every Neopian is "on the spectrum", it appears plausible that the game has particular characteristics that are likely to attract us Aspies. :)

About the other thing. I live in Sweden, and there are very few around the age of 13 here, who knows how to use proper grammars and so on. It's not just a matter of chat speak or laziness, but ignorance. Not to say that writing grammatically correct is the most important thing in the world, but I'm impressed with how younger Neopians often do seem to use correct grammar. As we all know, Aspergians tend to have good language skills. And for the ones who are not Aspergians (probably most of you), I have a hunch tat Neopets may attract people who are theoretically inclined. That is, people who are good with numbers and/or language etc. After all, we don't really play Neopets for its intense action sequences, do we? :P

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double or triple post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I have been playing neopets for about 8 years now, but on and off. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and so planning things is definitely one thing I like about neopets. I am also sort of geeky, so by going on neopets, I find people who enjoy the same things as me. I enjoy collecting things, and earning things as well. I do know that all of my friends secretly play neopets, but don't tell anyone because it's for 'little kids'. I don't agree. I think you are once a Neopian, Always a Neopian.

Woah. And I play on Neopets to get away from life for a few minutes when life's really complicated. I'd have to agree with Bree, once you're a Neopian, you're always a Neopian. Even if you stop playing, you wonder if you're pets or okay and what's happened to your account.

Even if you stop playing, you wonder if you're pets or okay and what's happened to your account.

I agree, I used to wander back over to Neopia every few months or so, get my password back as I'd forgotten, log in, feed the pets and put them in a hotel again before forgetting about it..

I'm back for now though, but who knows how long? The last time I left was because the guild I was in was going in a direction I didn't too much like, and it was the social posting on the forums bit I missed the most. This time I have TDN, and I've gotten my room mate into it so I should now always have someone I know on neopets. We're in our early 20s and we don't think it's at all for younger children.

I am OCD but I don't know if that contributes to my enjoyment of neopets? I guess at least it distracts me so I don't spend ages obsessing about things that I know are fine and ok but I just can't quite believe that they are so have to check and check again..

Tigra xx

I'm 18 and I still play. Not autistic as far as I know. But my brother plays and he is autistic, and I work with severely autistic kids (but are often still competent enough to play a computer game). Neopets has a certain charm that attracts all ages, all mentalities, everyone. It seems like High School is that time when it's "uncool" to play Neopets, even though I know a lot of High Schoolers still do. But in that time, everything is uncool. But once you get back into adulthood, you get back into it. The reason there are fewer adults playing is adults don't usually have time. Whereas kids can usually MAKE time.

I think you are once a Neopian, Always a Neopian.

Yeah that applies to me as well. I played some in high school, then left my account and was disappointed when it had been deleted when I looked at neopets again in college, so I created another account with the same username. I left that one for a bit too and came back to it recently. I suppose I'm always curious about what has changed, my pet, my items, etc. I'm curious even now if any of the items I had back then (in like 2001) are worth a lot now. Guess I'll never know.

I suppose you could consider me as a somewhat of a geek. I like playing mostly non-violent computer and video games, like nancy drew games, zoo tycoon, oregon trail, etc. even though I'm an adult (almost 22). I've been playing nintendo games for 15 or 16 years as well. I suppose I like a lot of games that are popular with younger kids.

For me, neopets is nice when I need a break from the stresses of life. I play it more when I'm inbetween semesters (like right now) and need time to just wind down. I have two part-time jobs while taking classes during the semester plus daily violin practice, so things start to get crazy fairly easy. It's nice to have something that takes your mind off of things... and games are fun!

What kind of people become Neopians ? - It takes all kinds, and like life Neopets is a microcosm, like a monopoly board quelching the desire for personal fulfillment and communication in the human experience as with non-human. Dominant categorical patterns will be observed by both the individual and collective perceptions like any thing else. You may not want the label or slot, but you will get them nonetheless.

I started playing in the late summer of 2004, just before my 19th birthday,I'm now 23. I'm planning on leaving, but to be honest I'll probably still come back weekly, monthly etc to do the quick-routine items like the dailies and to donate/trade some on the trading post.

What attracted me to neopets from my personal direct vantage point, was that it did fit into my intrigue, curiosity, etc for stats, and simulation type games ie: Rollercoaster Tycoon, and even the Tomagotchi I used to have that was all the craze, that had to be actually banned from my middle school I attended at the time. Even though having the device did make me and other pupils function better/focus better/relax etc , therefore perform better on tests, exams, academically overall.

I have been professionally/medically diagnosed with OCD, ADD/ADHD ( inattentive type ) , agoraphobia and due to that isolation my psychologist said I have a sort of "feral autism" borne from my isolationism.

My sexuality has been questioned for playing neopets lol, I've also been called a sexual predator etc ad absurdum , it's amazing the hysteria one can encounter, yet when admit I loved Garfield and Friends most of those same people will say oh yeah that's a classic, me too et cetera ....

My overall description of myself and my interest is: An ever-onlooking and observing student of surroundings of popular and unpopular constitutions;direct and indirect immediate and infinitely extended perceptual cognizant visibilities of states in perpetual metamorphosis as well in dynamic lethargy.

Interests: Jehovah God,Human Relationship, Religion/Spirituality/Paranormal,Music,History, Past Times, Classical and Traditional Artistry, Geography, Animals.

That's the type of personality in I , that Neopia has attracted b) :* ... and personally I do find nothing comforting about the strictures put in place by the neopets team, but considering the very real corporate mentality that owns it, I realize the moves they must take in this spacious gameboard of life. I hope I do not violate any rules here in this post, I am even anxious and grossly introverted online hehe :* , I can often be overly verbose and too provocative overstepping those "hidden" lines in expressive democracy *ahem*

I would say, especially as of late, the functions I would adhere within my participation with the game did become/has become more burdensome ... but I would say that my mental distresses overall online and offline have become further complicating, otherwords it's not soley just neopets but countless other variables and degrees to them.

An old spirit existing in the present,

J. R. E .L .

" DESO " short for DesolateSibilate [ forsaken hiss ] ...

Me? I think I'm normal. I haven't been diagnosed with autism or OCD or anything, and I fit in quite well at school. For me, I just play to stay with the guild, and I have some friends I've made over Neopets. And it's great for procrastinating :D. But I mostly play for the avatars. That's what I save up for.

Well I'm one of those (many) adult Neopians. I don't suffer from Autism but I do have issues with depression and I tend towards OCD behaviors. I'm also an extreme loner, even though I'm married and have 4 children I just prefer to be alone. I love the systematic way that you can approach so many of the activities on Neopets. I do my dailies every morning and pick away at my avatars and stamps as I have time. I can play every day or I can go away for a few months and come back and pick up where I left off. I can go at my own pace. The only problem is that the last time I 'left' for a while they had another plot and I missed out on a ton of stuff and several avatars!

I probably spend way too much time here (and there) but it's sooo addictive!