Syn-Chan

Do you like Twilight?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's overhyped?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • In between.
    • Don't care.

Don't you guys think that the book and movie are too well fangirled / boyed over? It's a bad book, in my opinion...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can tell that girls are addicted to love stories and false vampires and stuff. =w=

Personally, I liked it. There's something about that is kind of addicting. It's like there's been heroin sprinkled in the pages or something. xD

But it definitely has been ruined by those overly obsessive girls that came along just because of the movie. I mean, I did start reading later, but because my friends wanted me to come to their little Breaking Dawn release party. So I had to speed read all the books.

But there is a difference between the loyal fans, and the disgusting fangirls. And those fangirls have over-hyped Twilight. Just like the Jonas Brothers. And it kills me to have to compare the two, but it's true.

Laura's right. Twilight is a good book in my opinion, but some people are already repelled by it because of the fangirls. That sends the impression that the book is only appealing to creepy, easily-impressed girls, and no sane person would want to read it. I personally think werewolves are better than vampires, but that didn't stop me from reading Twilight. I usually don't read love stories because they're just too cheesy to me, but this one was surprisingly good. Give this one a chance, and just ignore the fangirls that ruin the good plot of the book. -_-

And not all girls are addicted to love stories & vampires. That kind of stereotype can really tick people off. <_<

Hum, apparently I'm the only one that doesn't care about it (And that shows my knowledge of the books/film too), maby I should read the books and see what I think. Normaly I hate everything that's popular, so it can be quite interesting to see what I think about the books.

Really, I used to like the book before people knew more about it. I swear, some of my friends drive me insane. They act like vampires with "fangs" and can go really fast. Like, Ichigo Kurosaki Mary-sueing fast. It kills me inside. I like vampire books, but they ruined it for me. What happened to Dracula ones?

I really didn't mean all girls. I meant my school. I walk around asking people if they've seen the movie, I get the same answers.

"Did you see the movie?"

"Yes"

"Wait for it --- What did Edward sound like?"

"Hot!"

I'm not much of a fan of overly popular things, nor people, so when I get the question of celebrity I just cave and say Brittany Spears or Angelina Jolie. So as you can see, popular and I don't mix, because I'd rather be unique. Which a bunch of people think I am, but oh well...

Personally, I liked it. There's something about that is kind of addicting. It's like there's been heroin sprinkled in the pages or something. xD

But it definitely has been ruined by those overly obsessive girls that came along just because of the movie. I mean, I did start reading later, but because my friends wanted me to come to their little Breaking Dawn release party. So I had to speed read all the books.

But there is a difference between the loyal fans, and the disgusting fangirls. And those fangirls have over-hyped Twilight. Just like the Jonas Brothers. And it kills me to have to compare the two, but it's true.

I toally agree with you, I might seam like a fangirl, but I tend to obsseve over things XD

Laura's right. Twilight is a good book in my opinion, but some people are already repelled by it because of the fangirls. That sends the impression that the book is only appealing to creepy, easily-impressed girls, and no sane person would want to read it. I personally think werewolves are better than vampires, but that didn't stop me from reading Twilight. I usually don't read love stories because they're just too cheesy to me, but this one was surprisingly good. Give this one a chance, and just ignore the fangirls that ruin the good plot of the book. -_-

And not all girls are addicted to love stories & vampires. That kind of stereotype can really tick people off. <_<

I'm not addicted to love stories and vampires...

...I can see. Obsession can get pretty... far, Milli.

Mmn. What was it I wanted to say?

Ah, yes... Bella and Edward are Mary-sues...

If you don't know what that is, Please look it up. =w= I'm an avid roleplayer / story writer, and I steer clear from that.

And because I lost my rant about them being Mary-sues, Until I remake one, here is a good one I found. I agree with this person, here.

Question:

Is Bella Swan a Mary Sue? Is Edward Cullen a Gary Stue?

Most certainly. Never mind that Bella is actually a spineless idiot and Edward a creepy control-freak - Meyer intended for them both to come across as unbelievably perfect. We hear repeatedly about Edward's stunning good looks. We hear that he is talented at everything from driving to composing music. Bella says, and Meyer clearly believes, that he is the archetypal gentleman, although it's easy to see he's not. As for Bella, everyone is fascinated by her - the guys all want to date her; the girls all want to be her friend - even though that's *never* what happens when new people who are supposedly plain and shy come to school. She's supposed to be kind and selfless and caring and intelligent, with this one cutesy little flaw. Actually, Meyer claims that Bella's biggest flaw is her lack of self-awareness, or something - meaning she's modest, basically. Again, we know she's not, but the whole thing just screams "Mary Sue". In Breaking Dawn the Mary Sue-ness goes off the scale.

All in all, the book is good if you like romance and Mary sues, or just like to keep up with the popularity.

Well, the good thing is, by the time the DVD goes on sale, this whole thing, which I'm 99% sure is just a fad phase, will be gone and forgotten. I'm also sick of it, and fear that this one of those things that'll stick around my school in the most annoying way--like MJ jokes--but most probably not.

Mmmn. You scared me with the DVD thing... It is pretty much a fad. I'm scared that our school will become completely devoted to Twilight. It already has. The teachers are starting to read it, and I was scared when the men started reading it. It's not the best thing in the world. ...MJ jokes?

Your teachers are reading it? Hm. Someone in school got a sixty-five year old woman to buy the whole series out of their suggestion. I could just imagine the look on her husband's face. Anyway, yeah, just a fad. Scary one, but who's ever known one that wasn't in one groups' eyes?

Personally I don't see what's wrong with a lot of people liking Twilight. It's popular. So what? Just because some of you may think it's not a good book doesn't mean it isn't.

And so what if they're Mary Sues? It's just the style of the story. And apparently that style appeals to many readers.

And keep in mind that not everyone that reads Twilight and likes it is obsessed.

Thanks for the obvious, Unstream. I am NOT bashing it because it is popular or "cool" to bash it. The thing is, I have read the books. Don't assume I haven't. I don't get how it's appealing in the least. Oh, there's a bunch of overly super-powered vampires strolling around falling in love with humans and getting sappy. In my opinion, that's so horribly overused it makes me sick.

Then, after Bella promises herself she won't go run off and get married young because her mom did the same, she Still does, and goes and gets knocked up while she's at it.

Congradulations. I don't find the book appealing for more reasons, but I could only explain those in person as my rage isn't well-formed in writing.

There's also the fact that Jacob is so strong apparently he can break her fist because she punches him.

Mary-Sue, but not as bad as Edward, who is so absolutely perfect and doesn't acknowledge it. Everyone wants to bear his children or they think that he's a freak. By day, that is. And then there's super-hero him at night, dancing around other vampires and all that... and there's the beloved family. But, I'm droning on, and I'll end it here.

Heh... Sixty-five year old woman. Did you ask her for her age? 8D

I'm just tired of seeing it everywhere. They're already thinking of a sequel, and that was three days before the first movie even came out.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

UGH. Use spoiler tags!!!

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

All right, we all know there are people who don't like the books, but PLEASE. If you're revealing something in the book, use spoiler tags!! Some of us haven't read past Twilight yet.

Keep the debate calm.

Honestly, I'm getting just as sick of the obsessive fake-fans as I am the obsessive bashers. I'm not saying that's anyone here, but I do know some bashers who are bashing just for the sake of bashing and how many more times can I use bash in a sentence bash bash bash.

xD

<_< But seriously, like I said earlier, Twilight is beginning to take on a JoBro-esque quality with ALL THESE GODDA-...NG "FANS." Please, people, if you like it because "Edward is so freaking perfect," just leave. If you actually, genuinely like the book, then that's fine. And if you bash because you just like to bash and be a troll and such, then please take this time now to leave along with the "fans."

My rant is done.... for now. :shiftyeyes_anim:

Sorry. It kind of doesn't make sense... without reading that. But alright. Spoiler tags it is. I apologize.

JoB-- Oh. Jonas Brothers. I wouldn't know. I don't really listen to all that kind of stuff. I don't bash because it's fun. I bash because I have a reason. But my friend recently decided to start a debate with me about Twilight because it's fun to bash. Really foolish, honestly.

I can name a bunch of girls at my school who like it because Edward is perfect. In the movie, he really didn't match up to my imagination. Made me laugh.

Well, where I am its kinda 'low key' here. (Excluding 10 people)

Its a great book. But, from what I've heard, it sounds like madness.

Like you guys said above, its probably a passing fad. Like High School Musical.....(well, that's a bad example)

Anyway, Twilight is a one off thing. Sooner or later people are going to move on from it and go to something more bizarre and interesting....<_<

Actors are actors. They're just there to support the story. You can just imagine them as someone else more fitting for the role.

...I can see. Obsession can get pretty... far, Milli.

Yes, it can, last year it was HP

Honestly, I'm getting just as sick of the obsessive fake-fans as I am the obsessive bashers. I'm not saying that's anyone here, but I do know some bashers who are bashing just for the sake of bashing and how many more times can I use bash in a sentence bash bash bash.

xD

<_< But seriously, like I said earlier, Twilight is beginning to take on a JoBro-esque quality with ALL THESE GODDA-...NG "FANS." Please, people, if you like it because "Edward is so freaking perfect," just leave. If you actually, genuinely like the book, then that's fine. And if you bash because you just like to bash and be a troll and such, then please take this time now to leave along with the "fans."

My rant is done.... for now. :shiftyeyes_anim:

Ah! *changes siggy!*

Well, where I am its kinda 'low key' here. (Excluding 10 people)

Its a great book. But, from what I've heard, it sounds like madness.

Like you guys said above, its probably a passing fad. Like High School Musical.....(well, that's a bad example)

AH! HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! AH! I dont like HSM! Keep it away from me!

I think the reason it became so popular is because, Harry potter got postponed. I mean, is it a coincidence that after it was postponed, then all of the sudden Twilight became the number one book to read? And everyone was such a huge fan? Before all the Harry Potter drama, the book wasn't as famous. It's a good book to read, but I think the books are just an excuse to vent their dissapointment or as a sign of "protest". Seriously, I visited Harry Potter websites before this and sure, they have mentioned the Twilight series, but that was after Deathly Hallows was released. They recommended the book, but they didn't make a huge deal out of it, until they postponed Harry Potter. I don't have anything against anyone who reads the book nor the book itself, but enough is enough. This has nothing to do with the people who were true fans since the beginning, but this mostly goes to the people who seem to like it, just for the sake of it or because, people seem to be so into it. I'm sure those so called "fans" (the ones who seem to fake it because, they were HP fans, but all of the sudden Twilight is the best thing ever) will not be able to give you a good description on one of the characters, but if you ask them about a HP character, they can give you hundreds of pages describing any character.

Once The Tales of Beetle The Bard comes out, the hype is going to start to wear off. Once Half-Blood Prince comes out, people won't really care that much anymore. They have announced the making of New Moon so I'm guessing, it'll be released in 2010 or 2011. By that time, Deathly Hallows is going to be coming out in theaters and I seriously doubt, Harry Potter fans are going to choose New Moon first. Do you think if Harry Potter would've come out in November as it was originally scheduled to be released, that Twilight would've made it this big? It would've created some hype sure, but I doubt it would've been this crazy.

Again, nothing against TRUE Twilight fans and nothing against the book. Like I said, it's a good book to read.

Ha ha, HSM. My friend is horribly addicted to it, and she sings it to me constantly, but this is quite... off topic. But still, she drives me mad with those songs. She memorized them all, and she sings when I get annoying because she apparently thinks I won't smack her.

Mhm. True. I did love Harry Potter but the last book was so obvious that it was sad, and you're completely right. Then again, I only picked up Eclipse before reading Twilight and New Moon. I just wanted a book to read, and it was the biggest book I could find in the school library. I showed it to a friend then they started showing it around and acting like a vampire so much that it disturbed me. I didn't even realize that the book was a saga, I just knew that it was a big book that would keep me out of trouble when came time to do D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read) Because my teacher hates me, I didn't want to give him another reason to send me to the back of the room. Meh...

Explain to me a bit further, please. "The Tales of Beetle The Bard". I have never heard of that... then again I'm quite sheltered and I'm on my laptop twenty-four seven. I'm always excused from that kind of stuff.

The thing is, how do you know for sure if Twilight would no longer hold is fan base? But I'm sure Stephanie is pleased. That's good, on her behalf...

...I don't hate the fans. I hate the people who obsess in a disturbing factor. It's an okay book, but I just don't like the hype. It disappoints me to no end how overly fan girl-ish people get... I mean... walking around acting like a vampire? (No, Milli, I'm not insulting you here. I'm talking about my school.) Announcing their getting married to Edward? Posting the posters of the movie all over the school? I think we've had enough here...

Explain to me a bit further, please. "The Tales of Beetle The Bard". I have never heard of that... then again I'm quite sheltered and I'm on my laptop twenty-four seven. I'm always excused from that kind of stuff.

The thing is, how do you know for sure if Twilight would no longer hold is fan base? But I'm sure Stephanie is pleased. That's good, on her behalf...

The Tales is a book given to Hermione by Dumbledore. J.K. Rowling wrote 7 or 8 by hand and even drew the pictures in it and put one up for auction. The money went to a children's hospital, I believe. The rest of the books were given to people who were very influential. Now, she is publishing it worldwide and comes out on Dec 4th. The book is a wizard fairy tale book.

The reason I think Twilight will lose its charm is because, a lot of the fans are not true fans. Like I said, I've seen the majority of HP fans turned to Twilight just because. As soon as HP comes out, that fan base will be gone. I'm not saying the next movie will be a failure, but the hype won't be the same. Sure, people might watch it, but HP will have the most audience. And once Deathly Hallows (last movie) comes out in 2 parts, then I can only imagine how it's going to be.

The reason I think Twilight will lose its charm is because, a lot of the fans are not true fans. Like I said, I've seen the majority of HP fans turned to Twilight just because. As soon as HP comes out, that fan base will be gone. I'm not saying the next movie will be a failure, but the hype won't be the same. Sure, people might watch it, but HP will have the most audience. And once Deathly Hallows (last movie) comes out in 2 parts, then I can only imagine how it's going to be.

Wouldn't the Half-blood Prince be the last movie?

Anyway, I still think that after HP comes out, there'll still be quite an audience for Twilight. A lot of people from my school, and just HP fans, liked Twilight.

No, Deathly Hallows is the last book, therefore the last movie.

But like you said, Hamster_Penguin, most of the so called "fans" aren't true fans. After they get sick of it, the fanbase will diminish and you'll be left with people like me and my friends.