Syn-Chan

Do you like Twilight?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's overhyped?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • In between.
    • Don't care.

Wouldn't the Half-blood Prince be the last movie?

Anyway, I still think that after HP comes out, there'll still be quite an audience for Twilight. A lot of people from my school, and just HP fans, liked Twilight.

Deathly Hallows Part One is set to be released in 2010 and the second part in 2011. And yea of course, there will be an audience. I mean, there are lots of true fans out there and I'm guessing the fake fans will also watch the movie, after they watch HP. I just think the hyper is going to wear off while HP is still around. Remember the movies will end in 2011 and by that time, they might make the rest of the Twilight movies.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, HSM. My friend is horribly addicted to it, and she sings it to me constantly, but this is quite... off topic. But still, she drives me mad with those songs. She memorized them all, and she sings when I get annoying because she apparently thinks I won't smack her.

Mhm. True. I did love Harry Potter but the last book was so obvious that it was sad, and you're completely right. Then again, I only picked up Eclipse before reading Twilight and New Moon. I just wanted a book to read, and it was the biggest book I could find in the school library. I showed it to a friend then they started showing it around and acting like a vampire so much that it disturbed me. I didn't even realize that the book was a saga, I just knew that it was a big book that would keep me out of trouble when came time to do D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read) Because my teacher hates me, I didn't want to give him another reason to send me to the back of the room. Meh...

Explain to me a bit further, please. "The Tales of Beetle The Bard". I have never heard of that... then again I'm quite sheltered and I'm on my laptop twenty-four seven. I'm always excused from that kind of stuff.

The thing is, how do you know for sure if Twilight would no longer hold is fan base? But I'm sure Stephanie is pleased. That's good, on her behalf...

...I don't hate the fans. I hate the people who obsess in a disturbing factor. It's an okay book, but I just don't like the hype. It disappoints me to no end how overly fan girl-ish people get... I mean... walking around acting like a vampire? (No, Milli, I'm not insulting you here. I'm talking about my school.) Announcing their getting married to Edward? Posting the posters of the movie all over the school? I think we've had enough here...

I bet the whole thing is just fantastic to anyone named Edward, though.

I am absoloutely sick of 5% of the fanbase walking around making idiots of themselves and than getting grouped in with them. (Not talking about anyone here.)

So then other people get tired of hearing about it, and a handful of them start posting hate comments on mature & reasonable fansites.

The hate gets really tiring, but than the uber-fans do too.

I've read the series and found it to be entertaining and good time spent. Sure it's not the greatest book, but nothing too bad either.

So why can't we just enjoy/dislike the series and leave people on the other side alone? In my humble opinion, it's not that big of a deal. If you don't like it, don't proceed to run your mouths at every opportunity. And than some fans should keep in mind that not every likes Twilight.

Really, I used to like the book before people knew more about it. I swear, some of my friends drive me insane. They act like vampires with "fangs" and can go really fast. Like, Ichigo Kurosaki Mary-sueing fast. It kills me inside. I like vampire books, but they ruined it for me. What happened to Dracula ones?

I really didn't mean all girls. I meant my school. I walk around asking people if they've seen the movie, I get the same answers.

"Did you see the movie?"

"Yes"

"Wait for it --- What did Edward sound like?"

"Hot!"

I'm not much of a fan of overly popular things, nor people, so when I get the question of celebrity I just cave and say Brittany Spears or Angelina Jolie. So as you can see, popular and I don't mix, because I'd rather be unique. Which a bunch of people think I am, but oh well...

No offence intended by this; but just because people like something, you don't like it anymore? That doesn't make you unique! Actually I think that makes you slight silly... Who cares if there are a whole bunch of fans our there that act like a bunch of love struck puppies? Edward is and was potrayed to be perfect. He is a gentleman born in a century where it was bred into them... I can understand why girls like him.

Personally I don't see what's wrong with a lot of people liking Twilight. It's popular. So what? Just because some of you may think it's not a good book doesn't mean it isn't.

And so what if they're Mary Sues? It's just the style of the story. And apparently that style appeals to many readers.

And keep in mind that not everyone that reads Twilight and likes it is obsessed.

Hear, hear!

I also don't understand why we are compairing HP and Twilight. Two completely different books and no way near comparable. OK so they postponed the HP movie.. So what? It ain't the first time they have done that... They postponed one of the HP movies when one of the Lord of the Rings movies came out. They never put two BIG movies (or movies they expect to be big) out at the exact same time or too close together... It is just a marking stratergy, they are just an industry like any other and out there to make money. Another thing you are all complaining about is the Twilight/Edward fan-girls, but HP has them too!!

Meh.... I just don't understand why you all care so much. The Twilight series wasn't the best series I have read, but I quite enjoyed it and have friends who quite enjoyed it too. So what if there are a whole bunch of people running around pretending to be vampires? Who really cares?? Just ignore them or join them or laugh at them... Why let it bother you so much and why on earth would you let it put you off something you like?

Meh... rant over!

To anyone speaking to me in general... The book is full of Mary-sues, and I dislike that quality the most. I'm too sick to really care for this now. Common cold has beaten me. December is the worst month...

I bet the whole thing is just fantastic to anyone named Edward, though.

Mmn, The funny thing is, my friend scared a kid named Edward. Apparently she told him to dress up like Edward.

^^^^^ I think I would be scared too if my name were Edward and some person came up to me and started refrencing to Edward... Some people just take it a little too far!

Well, we lost the seriousness of this not-meaning-to-be-serious topic...

My friend would come after you anyway. ANYONE named Edward or has a Twilight shirt / jacket is harassed.

I know the most effective way to make people stop pretending they are the vampires from the movie. It requires both your middle fingers (because they are the biggest), pointing out straight, the rest of your fingers and thumbs curled up, and those remaining fingers put into the shape of the cross, directed to the "vampire". Vampires seem to dislike crosses.

I think it's overhyped, just like HP was overhyped. Neither are very well written (although I'll be the first to admit that I've only read snippets of Twilight on Amazon), both are poorly punctuated (seriously, unless you're James Joyce, you don't get to punctuate as you please), and both are tremendously appealing. I can comprehend why HP appeals, especially since the first five books are decent, but Twilight is just... bad. It starts off like awful fanfic and, based on what I've read about it, stays that way.

Also, as a Buffy fan, indestructible vampires who can go out (and glitter!) during the day make me roll my eyes. Buffyverse vamps are tough to kill if you haven't got any superpowers, but they've got enough weaknesses to be believable.

I haven't read Twilight yet, nor have I seen the movie, though I plan to.

So I can't make a completely educated comment, but what I can say is, whether it's well written or not so much, at least it's getting kids interested in reading and literature. Just like Harry Potter (of which I am a fan), I'd rather see them pick up a book every once in a while instead of spending hour after hour on computers, TV and video games.

I know this makes me sound like a mom but I think it deserves mentioning :whistle:

So I can't make a completely educated comment, but what I can say is, whether it's well written or not so much, at least it's getting kids interested in reading and literature. Just like Harry Potter (of which I am a fan), I'd rather see them pick up a book every once in a while instead of spending hour after hour on computers, TV and video games.

True. I have a good friend who never reads any books outside of school assignments-ever.

But she went to go see the movie, and then immediatly got the book and finished in two days.

Now she's reading different books too.

I only picked up Twilight because everyone was pressuring me to pick it up. I love to read (you get a good book in my hands and I won't come out of it for days, or weeks) and it sounded interesting and everyone was telling me I should read it, so I did. I liked it, but I had no idea why. Then I read New Moon and became a bit depressed for a few days. Then I read Eclipse and it made me want to basically slap everyone in the book (especially Jacob, Edward and Bella). Then someone spoiled Breaking Dawn for me and for months I battled with myself because, once again, everyone was pressuring me into reading it.I decided to read it (haven't yet), but we haven't been to the library in weeks. Now I know why I 'liked' it, because everyone else liked it. Normally I wouldn't like reading anything like that and I really don't see what the big deal is about it now or what separates it from any other teenage/young adult romance type of book.

And a few days ago someone I know who never ever reads any type of books picked up Twilight and couldn't put it down. She's now (probably at this very moment) reading New Moon. She emailed me about how much she loves it and said that my mom told her that I was very into them too. I had to break it to both of them that was not the case. :P

I see... Love all the comments, you guys. So I was right. Everyone thinks (Well, It's leaning that way) That Twilight is overhyped. Twilight, for some, is just a replacement for Harry Potter fans awaiting the movie.

They better hurry. The kids playing HP aren't getting any younger.

I like the fact that many people who aren't into books are being drawn into the world of reading because of Twilight. I just hope that after Twilight these people go on to read other books, perhaps better-written and better-crafted books. Perhaps a few classics even.

I dislike how the archetypes in Twilight are a bit, um, too archetypal. The emotionally clingy girl who believes the boy can and will change for her... (I'm not saying that's who she is; I'm saying that it's within my rights as a member of the general public to be struck by her in that way; maybe if she had been characterized differently...) The brooding boy who hopes the girl will always remain the same and will only change when convenient... I'm not saying the story elements are part of a bad recipe for a love story, but I'm saying that Twilight is what I call a recipe for disaster, and the result of such an affair, no matter how elaborately written, just doesn't appeal to my appetites.

Well, the good thing is, by the time the DVD goes on sale, this whole thing, which I'm 99% sure is just a fad phase, will be gone and forgotten. I'm also sick of it, and fear that this one of those things that'll stick around my school in the most annoying way--like MJ jokes--but most probably not.

ermm... I don't think so, Summit entertainment is trying to rush up New moon, they want to release it by the ent of 2009 :S

hmmm I have kind of a love/hate relationship with twilight, I like edward but not to the OMG!!! HE'S SOOO HAWTTT I WANNA HAVE HIS KIDS kinda way, I think pattinson is cute and had a good time making fun of his american accent hahahaha :P but as for "the best love story I've ever read" I'll keep with a manga called gravitation, even though is really silly, I like it because I felt like it was very real, and I'm totally like yuki hahaha. I think Twilight it's a cute story, but I would never read it again, waaay tooooo cheesy and predictable :P

Personally, i liked twilight (By saying twilight i only meant the FIRST book not the saga)

then there was new moon, bella became obsessive and it got all boring

Eclipse: oooh!! someones trying to kill bella what sheer joy, too bad the action is only in the end of the book

Breaking Dawn: If it wasnt that long and didnt make me wanna skip past right through jacob's part, its pretty good

Overall rating: 5/10 Meaning its decent, the only good thing about this saga is the first part and the last, the rests are sorta boring

P.S. Psycopathic girls who like edward cullen is the ONLY reason why stephenie meyer is claiming to be the next J.K. Rowling, but yet, No One can beat her!

P.S. Psycopathic girls who like edward cullen is the ONLY reason why stephenie meyer is claiming to be the next J.K. Rowling, but yet, No One can beat her!

Wow, thanks. Enjoying a book now makes someone "Psycopathic."

There is a link to a very good article here:http://twilightnovelnovice.com/2008/12/11/twilight-academic-paper-the-other-ing-of-the-twilight-fan/ on the stereotyping of female fans. Click with caution though, as some of the quotes are rather PG-13.

^^^^ That's because the movie wasn't that good! OK... So it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be and there were good parts to it... But in the end a lot of the acting was terrible and then scenes just weren't well played out... I think part of my fustration is also that I went to the premiere and there were teenage girls squealing throughout the movie and clapping, although I must say it really did make me giggle in certain parts...

I liked the books, I thought they were good and a very light read. But I am slightly confusled as to why everyone is trying to compare it with HP and JK Rowling??!! The books are in completely different leagues, and are in no way similar. I can't quite think of why or where the comparison comes from... Again... I liked the books, I bought the series and I will go see the movies but when it comes down to it, I don't think I will ever read them again...

I can also understand that if you like vampire stories you are definately not going to like Twilight. I have read a few vampire novels and series and when it comes to Twilight the vampires are slightly "unreal".

But I am slightly confusled as to why everyone is trying to compare it with HP and JK Rowling??!! The books are in completely different leagues, and are in no way similar. I can't quite think of why or where the comparison comes from...

People are comparing the two because they are both preteen - young adult book series that have gotten incredibly high praise, worldwide attention, and a huge amount of followers. They're both recent literary phenomena. Also, both JK Rowling and Stephanie Myers were previous unknowns and hadn't published anything prior to their respective series.

It really has nothing to do with their actual content, because in that respect they're pretty far apart... although I seem to remember a hint that there are vampires (in a title of one of Lockhart's books or something) in HP :eh:

^^^^^ lol... So we are going on one hint from one crazy professors books :P That would be funny!