Could someone explain please.

naalaro

Rule no. 4) Art trades and requests are fine, but please remember that under no circumstances are you allowed to pay someone for neopets art with real money, neopoints, or neopets items.

For the record, Im an artist. I've been doing freelance commissions online together with art trades for almost two years and i fail to understand the clause: 'real money'

I understand neopets own rule on the items and neopoints issue, but i hardly see why a person cannot demand a simple commission from an artist on neopet characters and/or related fanwork. Comparing neopets to the rest of the entertaimemnt industry, from comics, online games, and animation, fancommisions is hardly illegal, and i dont see what makes neopets special enough to revoke individual rights to demand an artistic work piece (just look at world of warcraft fanart hitting 60 dollars on ebay)

For the record, i occasionally do fanart, and i make sure i do it right, and i do it well. As an ART BOARD this clause in this rule is pretty ridiculous, and its not like we artist force anyone to commission us, rather, we have to use our own hardwork to build up and generate our own demand through advertising of our own talents. Does this not apply to Neopets related artwork too on this board?

Copyright, plain and simple. They own it, they have it copyrighted. If you want to get technical, owners of WOW, Disney, and everything else could sue a ton of people for doing those things. They just don't, they don't have time to mess around suing 16 year olds who make fan art then charge for it. I totally understand where they are coming from, they made it they have rights to it. Would you like someone to make "fan art" of one of your creations then earn money off of it, probably not....you did the work you would deserve the money, even if they changed it some it was still your design originally.

Anyways, why would you charge someone on neopets real money! You shouldn't be sharing any sort of information on neo that would make the exchange of real money possible.

Copyright, plain and simple. They own it, they have it copyrighted. If you want to get technical, owners of WOW, Disney, and everything else could sue a ton of people for doing those things. They just don't, they don't have time to mess around suing 16 year olds who make fan art then charge for it. I totally understand where they are coming from, they made it they have rights to it. Would you like someone to make "fan art" of one of your creations then earn money off of it, probably not....you did the work you would deserve the money, even if they changed it some it was still your design originally.

Anyways, why would you charge someone on neopets real money! You shouldn't be sharing any sort of information on neo that would make the exchange of real money possible.

" they don't have time to mess around suing 16 year olds who make fan art then charge for it"

I would like you know that industry professionals draw their own fanart for sale and commissions. Illustrators particularly, draw fanart on fans requests both on their own sites and at cons. Lord of the Rings, Eragon, Star Wars etc are all particularly popular, and they(although of course, i cannot speak in general), as i, dont give qualms to doing commissions on demand. And when i mean professional, i mean over ten years in the business. Since we're at this point, lets go on to sculpting, and model makings. Artists do make their own figurines and sell them, spending days or at times over a week. We arent 16 year olds hoping to get a quick buck...its more or less a job.

"Would you like someone to make "fan art" of one of your creations then earn money off of it, probably not....you did the work you would deserve the money, even if they changed it some it was still your design originally"

For the record, my account is set at below 13. Shuts me out from all neopets influences and exchange of information. I have my own art accounts on other sites to do that. On another note, to each her own, but im alright with people getting money off my own creations as long as they address it to my own copyright. All fanart copyright the characters and all related artowrk to its creators. Anyone who doesnt gets a stern lambasting from others, and me, in particular. if this board doesnt allow it, then im fine with it since i understand you have your responsibilties as a legitimate neopets site...(yes?)

Does this not apply to Neopets related artwork too on this board?

I'm afraid it does apply to tdnforums.com too. If you review our rules, you will see this :

Potential scams and things against Neopets Terms

You are not allowed to post any (potential) scam topics, chain letters, NP exchanges for other currencies, autobuying programs, auto game-playing programs, any kind of cheat program or hacking program, and other possible things that could be potentially against Neopets Terms and Conditions. The same rules on Neopets apply here, seeing as we're a fan site.

So if you attempt to sell your fan work on tdnforums.com, you are in trouble with our moderation team and will be warn.

As for what 'real money' means... it's any currency used in the world.

It's a copyright matter, and the copyright law is massive and not the easiest to understand. But by using Neopets, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and they were written in a way that Neopets could sue you for doing anything that is against their terms.

I'm afraid it does apply to tdnforums.com too. If you review our rules, you will see this :

So if you attempt to sell your fan work on tdnforums.com, you are in trouble with our moderation team and will be warn.

As for what 'real money' means... it's any currency used in the world.

It's a copyright matter, and the copyright law is massive and not the easiest to understand. But by using Neopets, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and they were written in a way that Neopets could sue you for doing anything that is against their terms.

"As for what 'real money' means... it's any currency used in the world."

-.-. Obviously i know that. I was just expressing my surprise to the entire 'real money' clause, and the subsequent dismissal of commission requests on this board.

"So if you attempt to sell your fan work on tdnforums.com, you are in trouble with our moderation team and will be warn."

Fine.