• Reference
    • Science Fiction
    • Fantasy
    • Mystery/Suspense
    • Biographies
    • Fairy Tales
    • Myths
    • Other

If you like more than one choice for the poll, put in your favorite and just state your others in your post.

If you choose "Other", put what it is in your post.

My most recently read book, and definatly one of my favorites, is Starship Troopers. Some good parts are: M.I. (Mobile Infantry) solders wearing powered armor shooting nuclear weapons on an alien planets while in the air because of their jump jets, huge battles with alien species, and a good sense of humor (Quote from book "I'm a thirty-second bomb! I'm a thirty-second bomb! Twenty-nine!... twenty-eight!... twenty-seven!-").

i just read generation kill. its about the 1st recon marines and their first tour in iraq. it's quite intresting other than that i like Laurie Notaro books they are hilarious. she rights about funny stuff in her life

This is just me, but I can never force myself to read a non-fiction book for fun. I just don't like them. Fantasy books are more in my aisle. :yes:

My favorite two fantasy books are Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. Both of them are absolutely fantastic with excellent plot lines and characters. :thumbsup:

This is just me, but I can never force myself to read a non-fiction book for fun. I just don't like them. Fantasy books are more in my aisle. :yes:

My favorite two fantasy books are Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. Both of them are absolutely fantastic with excellent plot lines and characters. :thumbsup:

I've read Eragon and the book after it, they are both very good. I havn't read Enchantment yet, But I know Orson Scott Card is a good author.

Also a must read book for anyone who wants to survive a zombie infestation is The Zombie Survival Giude.

I started reading Eldest and got about halfway through it, then I put it down for a few days...that turned into couple of years. o_O

Whoops. xD

I started reading Eldest and got about halfway through it, then I put it down for a few days...that turned into couple of years. o_O

Whoops. xD

lol

The exact same thing happened to me and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I've been somewhere in the second book for about 4 years now!

xD Well, while I'm on vacation, that'll be the perfect time to pick Eldest back up and start reading it again.

Of course, I might need to start over since I mainly forgot what happened in the previous chapters! xD

I always forget what happened in previous chapters :( So I always have to re-read chapters and even previous books.

I'm actually going on vacation for a week in about 8-9 hours now.

Also, surfing the net on zombie stuff (books, games, movies), I found a cool game where your in a quarantined city.

I don't really have a favorite kind of books... it only takes good characters and a plot to entertain me :)

One of the latest book that I read was Deception Point and I liked it.

I lost my library card and didn't go back to borrow books since then. A shame. (But I'm busy too...)

[/u]My most recently read book, and definatly one of my favorites, is Starship Troopers. Some good parts are: M.I. (Mobile Infantry) solders wearing powered armor shooting nuclear weapons on an alien planets while in the air because of their jump jets, huge battles with alien species, and a good sense of humor (Quote from book "I'm a thirty-second bomb! I'm a thirty-second bomb! Twenty-nine!... twenty-eight!... twenty-seven!-").

What? No catagory for manga? I love the "Bleach" manga, and have all 23 volumes. My other favorites are fiction (vampyre novels in particular) and literature. "Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston LeRoux is the one book I can read over and over again.

I voted science fiction, but I also read a lot of fantasy and nonfiction. I read Star Wars Expanded Universe books, and fantasy books such as 'Eragon', 'Harry Potter', and 'Twilight'. My view on a book is, the bigger the book, the better! I do enjoy reading a lot. I'm no speed-reader, but I do think I have a little bit of it in me because my family's always amazed at how fast I finish books!

As to the nonfiction...well, I don't know how most people respond to this when I say it, but I read a lot of books on WWII and the Holocaust. Sometimes I wonder if people don't really know what to say when I tell them that. It's kind of a rememberance sort of thing, I suppose...I get it from my dad (the history buff). Some realistic fiction is good too. Like 'The Kite Runner'. And 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. Amazing books.

:)

My favourite is definitely science fiction, with fantasy coming in a close second. My all-time favourite book is probably the original Artemis Fowl. As far as fantasy goes, The Lord of the Rings trilogy gets my pick, but Eragon's not bad either.

Sadly I've been too busy to read new books recently. :(

Voted for other because horror wasn't on the list!

Right now, I am really, really into war fantasy. Mostly books revolving around the Warhammer 40k games. I'm love the mythos of the game, and even if the books aren't great, they're a fun read. Which is strange because I normally despise more realistic war-novels. I guess the moment you throw in Tech Priests, Orks, and Necrons, the world is a better place. Er... not really, but... yeah. =P

My favorite authors are Stephen King, Vladimir Nabokov, HP Lovecraft, Clive Barker, and Neil Gaiman--so there's a mix of "literature", horror, and scifi/fantasy (although leaning more toward horror), which are probably my main genres, although, again, I read basically everything.

... although, as much as I love horror, DO NOT get me started on trashy serial horror novels that get published. Horror has such a bad name because of all the crap that gets published under the genre, and it drives me nuts.

Right now I'm reading The Girl In the Tangerine Scarf for a class I'm taking come August. It's about a Muslim girl growing up in the US... so far, I'm loving it--almost done and I just got it yesterday. Although I suppose the four hour bus ride I took yesterday contributed to that.

And nonfiction? I read a bit of that, too. Mostly pop-culture essays and "trendy" authors like Dave Eggars, and Chuck Klosterman. I like their style. I can't help it. Even though if I ever actually met Chuck Klosterman in real life and had a conversation with him, I would probably have the overwhelming urge to punch him.

You're awesome. I love fantasy books too! And I get too lazy to read non-fiction books....

My favourite is definitely science fiction, with fantasy coming in a close second. My all-time favourite book is probably the original Artemis Fowl. As far as fantasy goes, The Lord of the Rings trilogy gets my pick, but Eragon's not bad either.

Sadly I've been too busy to read new books recently. :(

You're awesome too. I LOVE Artemis Fowl! That's the greatest series ever (in my opinion). I also like Harry Potter a lot too. Twilight it alright, but the fans kinda annoy me...

Wow, all of you guys have read Eragon. I haven't yet -_-

Right now I'm trying out this new series: Septimus Heap. It's pretty interesting but it's not all that great.

I also like fiction books...some of them actually interest me...Sophie Kinsella is a pretty good chick-lit writer, lol, her books are addicting.

And nonfiction? I read a bit of that, too. Mostly pop-culture essays and "trendy" authors like Dave Eggars, and Chuck Klosterman. I like their style. I can't help it. Even though if I ever actually met Chuck Klosterman in real life and had a conversation with him, I would probably have the overwhelming urge to punch him.

Ooh, have you read Killing Yourself to Live? For me, it started off great but it became way too much about the author himself after a while.

I also like fiction books...some of them actually interest me...Sophie Kinsella is a pretty good chick-lit writer, lol, her books are addicting.

She wrote the Shopaholic books, right? Sarah Dessen is another master (mistress, whatever) of chick lit. Her style is more young adult, though.

I've read a couple of books by Scott Westerfield. my absolute favorites are "Peeps" and "The Last Days"(the sequel to Peeps). they are about vampires, and they are EXTREMELY addicting to read - there is so much suspense, its hard to stop reading!

Ooh, have you read Killing Yourself to Live? For me, it started off great but it became way too much about the author himself after a while.

Yup, I have. With Klosterman, I've come to accept no matter what he writes, it will devolve into an essay about his life. He gets personal with everything. Reading his essays and books, I can probably tell you more about his private life than I can my good friends'. I know Klosterman's one ex likes Coldplay, but I couldn't pick any of my friends' ex-girlfriends out of a small crowd, much less tell you what type of music they listen to. Which, come to think of it, is kind of sad, but the man puts it out there... even when it doesn't really make sense in the context of anything.

Truthfully, I just enjoy his tone. I don't really care what he's saying half the time. I just like how he says it.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention - my second favourite book series (Artemis Fowl is my favourite) is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. He's just an awesome writer, almost as good as Eoin Colfer but in his own unique way.

I've read a couple of books by Scott Westerfield. my absolute favorites are "Peeps" and "The Last Days"(the sequel to Peeps). they are about vampires, and they are EXTREMELY addicting to read - there is so much suspense, its hard to stop reading!

Sounds like something I'll have to check out the next time I go to Barnes & Noble or Borders. I love Anne Rice, but I'm not big on Lauren K. Hamilton. Yeah...I like the vampyres, not the Hunters. Thank you for the info. ^_^

I haven't really been reading (for fun) for long.

I read the Harry Potter books sometime after the first film came out to see what the fuss was about :) Then I eventually started giving other books a shot and I love crime/detective type books.

I have always enjoyed movies/TV like that - I think I just watched too much 'Columbo' growing up :D hehe.

The most famous/popular books of that genre that I've read are the Sherlock Holmes stories. Well, technically I've got about halfway through them and still have the other half to read yet ^_^