Survival of the Fittest

Ruto

Plot: It’s the 23rd century. Earth’s population has been increasing rapidly for many centuries. So rapidly, in fact, that the planet is overcrowed with humans. Almost every corner of land and sea have been filled up with humans and their cities and societies. On land, all forests have been cut down and replaced with suburban cities, with oxygen generators around the city walls being their air supply. On sea, cities with devices called “H2O resisters†keep the city afloat with no risk of the device being destroyed by undersea creatures. The humans’ main diet now consists of synthetic meats and plants.

Needless to say, the animals that once inhabited the land are now extinct, and only the sea animals that can survive without many sun-lit plants remain, because the cities at the surface block out most of the light.

In the deeper, murky depths, however, live the last kind of an ancient race called the Surmas, with intelligence much like humans, if not better. They’re about ready to strike out and reclaim their planet, by destroying the entire human race.

The leader of the race sent each Surma to a certain area of Earth to eradicate it, the humans and their establishments. The demolition will begin a few minor days.

Unbeknownst to the Surmas, an underwater military caught wind of their attacks and are planning to fend off the revenge-stricken sea creatures.

Every move made by any army will decide the outcome of the battle. It could mean the difference between the humans surviving, or the Surmas becoming the new dominant species of Earth.

The Surmas are unlike anything anyone’s ever seen. They’re like a mix of the Lochness monster and sharks that possess incredible speed and strength. It won’t be easy to defeat them…

Okay…so, this can play out under the sea or in the cities. Doesn’t matter. Pick a team and let’s get going!

Psst, you can have two characters, by the way.

*joinordie*

Character Form:

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Species[/b](Surma or human…or some other creature that somehow plays a tie here):
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Description[/b]:
[b]Other info[/b](optional):

Name: Sahetow

Species: Surma

Description: Sahetow is one of the smaller Surmas, but she is stronger than most of them. Her previous experience with humans has driven her to insane revenge against them, never resting until every last human on the planet is wiped out. The other Surmas don’t know this, but she has a soft spot for starfish. Not even Sahetow herself knows why she loves starfish so much.

Other info(optional): Sahetow has the power to create tidal waves from nowhere, as do most Surmas. She can also emit a loud shriek that humans can’t stand to hear, which cause them to crouch down in pain.

Name: Migahut

Description: Migahut looks just like Sahetow, only bigger and faster. Migahut isn’t as crazy as her friend to destroy the human race, but she always does whatever Sahetow is interested in. Migahut’s the only Surma who knows about Sahetow’s starfish love, and she thinks it’s silly.

Other info(optional): Migahut also possess the tidal wave power, and can also create devastating whirlpools in large bodies of water.

Sahetow floated amongst the kelp, keeping herself hidden from the other Surmas. She looked up toward the surface. Nothing but the undersides of buildings. Those humans. They ruined her chance to see the sunlight. To see the world above.

Thinking about them too much made her want to shriek so that the humans could hear her cries. But they wouldn’t care anyway. They only care about themselves. That’s why they covered the sea with their industrial factories and garbage disposal plants that polluted the waters around her. They murdered so many creatures…and…

She couldn’t think about them anymore, but instead gazed at the starfish floating around to calm herself. For reasons unknown even to herself, starfish seemed beautiful, and gazing at them brought her peace, if only for a moment. A voice interrupted her.

“Sahetow!â€

She snapped to attention and swam out of the kelp to face her best friend, Migahut.

“There you are. What were you doing in there?â€

Sahetow rubbed her dorsal fin. “Uh…â€

Migahut sighed. “Were you looking at the you-know-whats again?â€

She nodded.

Migahut shook her head. “Well, enough of that. The leader has something important to say. Hurry up and follow me.â€

She followed.

Name: Eva Maria/Mitaguna

Species: Human... for now.

Description: Most likely the ONLY human with feelings for any other species. In her childhood, she played around the shores of her floating city. A revenge-seeking Surma took action and placed a curse upon her. The curse has caused Eva to be part Surma. When in Surma form her name is Mitaguna

Other info: When a full moon comes around, Eva must find ocean, otherwise the Surma transformation won't be complete and she'll be stuck as half-way mutant.

((I'm assuming we can have two characters))

Name: Murain

Description: The Surma who cursed Eva. The curse he placed upon her caused him great guilt once he learned of her care for other creatures. Now he won't rest until he sees justice done for her un-just punishment. He hates all other humans though.

Other info(optional): He has secretly been hording ancient human artifacts. One being a VERY old spell book. He's been practicing them for years.

It was Halloween night. Eva was dressed as what she saw fit to be the dog of years before her time. She had no realazation that in a few hours it would be a full moon.

Hmm... that's strange, thought Eva of the sudden cold draft, It feels just like the first night.. The night I met that Surma. All I wanted to do was tell him I was sorry for what the humans had done.

Unbeknownst to Eva was that Murain was watchin over her.

Eva was nearing the shore-side houses and the draft was getting stronger. Murain was beginning the attempt to a counter-curse.

((Er...yeah, I meant to clarify that.

Nice story line, by the way. ;) ))

Migahut and Sahetow approached a crowd of eager Surmas waiting to hear the leader's announcement. Sahetow glanced at her friend. "So, do you have any idea what the leader wants to tell us? Have you heard any rumors or something like that?"

Migahut shook her head. "No, all I heard is that the leader has something very important to tell us."

Sahetow looked at the sand below her. "Well, I hope he hurries. I want to get this over with and get back to...well, you know."

"You're not concerned with what the leader has to say?"

"Not really."

Migahut sighed. Sometimes Sahetow could be a little distracted, but she was still her friend.

The leader appeared on top of the huge rock in the middle of the crowd. Both of the girls listened to the old Surma.

"Children...you have known the race above...the humans. For years, they've spread across the planet, killing the other races, and taking our waters."

A few murmurs came from the crowd.

He continued, "I have come to say that the time for rebellion has come. It's time to stand up and fight for our beloved planet."

The crowd began to get excited, save for Migahut.

"Arm yourselves, guard one another, and wipe the bloody human race out of existence! For our people! For the planet!"

The crowd cheered, even Sahetow. This was her chance to get revenge on the humans for what they did to her.

Migahut slipped away from the crowd.

Name: Melania

Description: she was raised by a human girl when she was little because her family abandoned her. But know the human girl is dead only her spirit can be seen by her.She has no revenge to the humans or any desire to protect them.

Other info: she has been seen by the humans but only known as the friendly sea creature

Melania was swimming and heard "their" leader. She sighed and thought "do they think that every human is bad? oh well."

Sahetow didn't notice that Migahut had left, but instead found Melania swimming around, and rushed over to her. "Melania, did you hear? An attack on the humans is being planned! We're finally going to reclaim our lost planet and teach the humans a lesson they'll never forget." She calmed down a bit. "So, are you in?"

Migahut watched Sahetow chat with Melania and swam off. "They're all so obsessed with destroying the human race. Why? What harm have they done us? They can't reach down here, anyway. Their heads will explode from the pressure." She sighed and swam to Sahetow's secret kelp sanctuary among the starfish. "If it can calm down someone like Sahetow, maybe it'll work for me."

Melania looked at her with tiresome eyes "I'm not interested in the attack but neither am i interested of helping any human. well then farewell"

She left and saw Migahut trying to calm herself. She looked at her and lied down near the field of kelp. she was dreaming

She was her happy child self then playing with her human friend cherry. Then a fire came she heard screams then she woke up.

Sahetow shook her head and went back to the cheering crowd. This is going to be the biggest moment of my life. I'll finally make those humans pay.

Migahut watched at the starfish floated up and down. Up, down, up, down. Pretty soon, she too became relaxed and watched the hypnotic motions of the starfish. Up, down, up, down, up, down...

She sensed someone behind her and turn around suddenly. "Oh, hey Melania. What are you doing here?"

((I'm signing off for the night. See ya.))

Melania looked across and saw migahut and said " Oh. Hello. I saw your friend. She really hates humans doesn't she?". Melania finally being energetic circled around migahut and said with her sparkling eyes full of energy "so? how come you're here?"

(( melania can read minds))

((Spiffiness.))

Migahut tried to talk to Melania while she was circling around her. "Well...I suppose you've heard about the attack on the humans? Sahetow's really into it, but I'm not so sure about it..."

Back at the leader's rock, Sahetow was mindlessly cheering among the other excited Surmas. The leader spoke again, "Get some rest, children. You will need it, for tomorrow is the day of the attack. Go with strong minds."

Sahetow broke free of the crowd and began swimming back to her kelp sanctuary, still not noticing that Migahut wasn't with her.

Melania saw Sahetow and swam to her "So we meet again" in an energetic voice. She kept on flipping and turning she just felt happy. It was really weird....It was like she was her child self again. She then stared slowly up where the sky should be memories wandering....hearing her best friend cherry's voice "Melania!Melania!" she then became more silent still spacing out with those words....

((Name: Phynas

Species: Kraken

Description: Phynas is the ancient guardian of planet Earth, land, sea, and air alike. Appointed by the creator billions of years ago, while the planet was still far too hot for liquid water to exist, he has kept the balance between all the elements of the world for as long as they have existed, life included, and is fiercely persistent in his job. His main body is somewhat resemblant of an octopus, but very much larger and with many more tentacles. Like many species of Cephalopod, he can change his appearance to blend in with his surroundings, to the point of near complete invisibility. His camouflaged tentacles span all over the world, allowing him significant (but still limited) influence over the course of events worldwide.

Other info: Phynas, possesses extensive psychic abilities, and this is the main way he does his job, although he is still a formidable fighter physically and has control over many of the fundamental forces of nature. He has worked to stem the tide of human development over the past few centuries (he does his work slowly and methodically, but to great effect), and it is thanks to him that many humans are finally becoming more environmentally aware. At the same time, he has also been attempting to prevent the Surmas from launching into all-out war against the humans, although he always knew that he wouldn't be able to delay them for quite long enough.))

From the tip of an impossibly long tentacle, Phynas watched the Surmas cheer. Foolish creatures, to celebrate such a disruptive event. It will only cause harm to all who dwell on this world, and further complicate matters... this will certainly take much time to resolve. Far too much time...

{{Wow, I got left behind lawls.}}

Murain raced back underwater as soon as he realized that the leader wanted to speak to them all. He knew he'd miss it but amybe someone would tell him.

Eva Maria suddenly noticed that moon had turned full. She gasped and darted to the ocean as fast as possible. Splashing in just in time, Eva turned into Mitaguna. Out of the corner of her eye, Mitaguna could see another Surma darting away. She chased after him, soon realizing that he seemed familiar. Out of carelessness, Mitaguna bumped into a rather grouchy Surma. He seemed mad at her. swimming away, Mitaguna realized that he probably didn't know her. She swam back to introduce herself. "Hey mister. I'm sorry for bumping into you I'm Ev- I mean Mitaguna." As soon as she slipped up on her name, his eyes became wide. With terror or realization, Mitaguna was not sure.

Mitaguna continued on not sure what to sdo about this peculiar encounter.

I think I should try to go find that Suram quick before this wears off. She thought to herself.

While one part of him was watching the hundreds of bloodthirsty Surmas preparing the battle, another part of Phynas sent the tendrils of his mind high into the sky, spreading and searching for the beings he wanted to contact. Birds of the sky, lend me your sight!

Humans were a perceptive species, and they were sure to be ready to hit back hard if attacked - but in the source of the problem, the solution might reside.

Mitaguna ran into Migahut.

"Hey what's going on. What's with all these Surma's? What are they leaving? Oh, who's that Surma over there?" Mia pointed, her finger following the trail of Murain. Murain was swimming and swimming fast. Mia knew she'd have to leave quick to catch up to him. "Sorry, Migahut, but I need to go follow him. Seeya around!" Mia swam away as fast as she could.

Murain needed to get to the meeting. He knew that the leader would get mad at him for not being there. Murain and the leader were what you could call..... acquaintances. Or rather Murain owed the leader big time. Thus, if Murain didn't show up, the leader would add to the payment.

The Earth's upper atmosphere was one of the rare regions of the earth that was as yet only slightly polluted by humans. Fleeing from the smog filled skies below, many new species of raptor had emerged, evolving various features to deal with the thin air and limited food supply. Maintaining altitude was not a problem however, as human industry below generated huge thermals that wafted up through the atmosphere with an almost peaceful regularity. They had also developed eyesight superior to even the most perceptive of their ancestors, designed to penetrate the dense layers of smog below in a never-ending search for prey.

It was these eyes that Phynas was peering through now, scanning the skies for the tell-tale signs of human military activity.

Mitaguna looked up for a brief second. In that second, she had lost her way. Mitaguna was worried whe had somehow managed to loose herself in a dark trench. She kept swimming, hoping to get out. Suddnely a light at the end appeared.

Oh my god, I've died!! Mitaguna shrieked in her head. There wasn't anything to worry about though. It was just the other side of the trench.

Humans pick up on things impressively fast, even for primates, thought Phynas as he patched together the view from the raptors whose minds he had inhabited. Several large hover-transports were already deploying all sorts of military hardware into the ocean around the region from which the Surmas planned to attack.

The days of divers with underwater guns and slow, bulky torpedo submarines were long gone. The shapes that dropped into the water now would have been almost unrecognisable to a person of the 21st century - agile submarines, equipped with advanced biochemical weaponry, sped through the water like the fighter jets of the Great Sky War. Armoured sea-tanks, missile launch systems, and a host of other undiscernible devices splashed into the black water.

Phynas didn't bother to take a closer look at what the humans were bringing to the impending battle. He had already seen enough - if the Surmas were expecting an easy victory, they would be sorely disappointed.

((Wow, Mia. Your posts are...random. o_O))

Sahetow bumped into Melania and looked at her with confusion on her face. "Uh, hi Melania." Noticing that she had a blank look on her face, Sahetow slowly swam around her and found Migahut near the kelp.

"Hey! What are you doing there?"

Migahut looked behind her then back again. "Uh, I was just waiting for you. I lost you in the crowd."

Sahetow shook her head. "Whatever. Let's get some sleep. I'm exhausted."

Migahut agreed, and the two friends went to their separate homes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Surmas, and mother and her child, were playing around the reef, laughing as if nothing would end their fun time.

"Mommy," the child asked, "what are humans?"

The mother stopped and stared at her child. "Why would you ask such a question?"

The child shrugged. "'Cause I think I saw one swimming around today. He was black all over and had something on his back."

"Please, don't mention them."

"But why?"

"They've threatened the species of Earth for so many ages. Almost everyone but us is gone. We're the next target."

"For what?"

"Baby, just go play with your friends."

"Okay..."

((Name: Xavis

Species: Human

Description: Xavis is a Greenpeace SeaRanger. He was originally a soldier in the Federated International Military, but was discharged for refusing to fire on an injured shark. He was recruited by Greenpeace shortly after, and is one of their most skilled SeaRangers.

Other info: Xavis generally wears an advanced skin-tight diving suit that is resistant to pressure, difficult to penetrate with most weapons (although it is easily cut) and well insulated against temperature extremes. The diving suit also includes an artificial gill, which allows him to extract breathable oxygen from the water, and the visual filters that he needs to see in murky water at such a low light level. On most missions he carries a large sniper rifle strapped to his back and two holstered short-range pistols (the make of the guns does not matter, as he can expertly handle pretty much any weapon). He has also had several mind-brushes with Phynas, although he does not remember them clearly himself.))

Maintaining totally neutral buoyancy, Xavis watched from the Shadows of the dark ocean as the FIM troops deployed. This is bad, was all he could think as he watched all the blood, sweat and lives spent by Greenpeace over the past few months go to waste. We hit so many targets, took out supply lines, sabotaged factories... 673 Greenpeace commandos died trying to stop this from happening, but all for nothing. They're still moving troops in - there's going to be a war for sure.

The child woke with a start in the middle of the night. It sounded like there was screaming outside. Who was it? It's late, and she needed sleep.

She almost went back to sleep when she distinguished whose voice it was.

Her mother's.

All the child could do was watch as her mother was dragged away in a net. The net was being held by the black creatures she saw earlier that day.

Could it be the humans?

Tears filled the child's eyes as she watched her mother was slowly being dragged to the surface.

"Dearest! Swim into deeper water! Don't let them catch you!"

The child obeyed, crying now.

Sahetow woke up with a gasp. The noice woke Migahut and she swam over to console her distressed friend.

"What's wrong?"

Sahetow shook it off. "Nothing," she murmured, and went back to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking that his weapons were loaded and operational, Xavis prepared to head back to the surface and report to base. Just as he was activating the optical scope on his rifle, he felt a cold, abrupt tingling in his forehead, almost as if there was a presence reaching into his mind and peering through his eyes. Then, just as suddenly as it had come, it disappeared. Xavis shook his head a few times to clear the lingering sensation of cloudiness, and began swimming towards the faraway surface.

Several hundred metres down, Phynas tensed several of his tentacles as he prepared to actively fulfil his ancient role for the first time in centuries.

Mitaguna continued to swim and swim... and swim. She thought of a clever little song to go along with her swimming, but for some reason it reminded her of a blue fish with short-term memory loss whose voice sounded suspiciously like a very famous t.v. show hostess. Out of the corner of her eye she saya flash of a fin.

Strange, Mitaguna thought, that fin reminds me very much of that Surma I was chasing.

......*dun dun dun*

"Quit that!" Shouted Mitaguna to the random Surma who happened to know what was going on and also happened to be swimming by. Unfortunately, htat poor surma had NOTHING to do with the strange noises...

*dun dun DUN*

"Seriously. Whoever is doing that will pay." said an angered Mitaguna.

((Oookay... way to go keeping up the TDN spirit of randomness! :P ))

Xavis hung in the water a few metres below the surface, scanning the waters below for signs of any threats. Greenpeace agents were an endangered species these days, hunted by the Federated International Military and police forces worldwide. Additionally, the Surmas never bothered distinguishing between which humans they killed - as far as they were concerned, all humans were against them, an assumption that made the job of a Greenpeace SeaRanger even more impossible.

As a final precaution, Xavis extended a thin night-vision periscope and pushed its tip just above the surface. Satisfied that there wasn't a squad of FIM snipers with him in their sights, he adjusted his buoyancy regulator and continued floating cautiously upwards.

((o_O I'll say.))

Sahetow woke up shaking. What scared her?

No, it was Migahut who was shaking her.

"Sahetow! Wake up! I've spotted a human near the surface of the water!"

Now Sahetow was really awake. She looked upward and scowled. "They're not going to come down here again." In a frenzy, she swam toward Xavis.

"Wait! You don't know if he's dangerous!"

Sahetow ignored her.

Xavis' exceptionally well-honed instincts suddenly gave him a poke in the back. The disturbance in the underwater current patterns, the unusual but not quite outstanding electric field readings that had just shown up on his visor, and the slight vibration of the water around him all pointed to one thing, and it wasn't something he wanted to stick around for. Moving with expert precision gained from years of practice (and one close call), Xavis wrapped his fingers around a thin cord attached to the back of his diving suit and yanked it hard. A pair of high-pressure containers attached to his back suddenly exploded, releasing a cloud of viscous black liquid specially designed to disorientate Surmas without causing any harmful long-term effects. The sudden difference in pressure also served to propel the Greenpeace SeaRanger the last few metres to the surface.