Apple to charge $20 for iPod update

Matt

Why not. I'll start a debate about it.

So V told me a couple of hours ago about some new things Apple related. She points out to me the iPod Touch updates, where I'm like "Oh, yeah. Finally. Some decent updates for this thing. Mail, Maps, Weather and stuff. Nice.". Then I see a "How to pay" button to the left hand side.

Yes. Apple are trying to charge me $20 (£13) to update my iPod to things which should have come loaded onto it on release.

Needless to say, people around the world are a little miffed at the whole thing, seeing as the iPhone gets a nifty update for free. No questions asked. The only free thing iPod Touch owners get is a 130MB silver bar at the bottom of the home screen. Great. That's useful.

So do they have the right to do this? Do they have the right to charge early adopters of their product and let the new purchasers get it free? Is it because the iPhone is a subscription service that they get an update for free?

Discuss.

I agree, it's just ridiculous. However, they have the right to do whatever they want because it's their product. As long as they follow their own policy. I think it's also up to the customer, to know when it's the best time to buy a product. I would wait at least 2 years to get the Ipod Touch. By that time, either something else will come or it will be cheaper.

The question is... if I decide to buy an ipod touch today, would I get the new softwares free or not? Seems like a good one to ask to Apple!

If yes, then it's totally unfair, especially just after Holidays, when they did sell tons of them!

EDIT: Yes, the new ones are coming with the 5 new applications! :O

Wow, is it just me, or are they becoming more and more like Microsoft? I feel that this would only be justified if they increased the retail price by the amount that they'd charge you. That would be the only logical thing to do, on their part.

I don't have an ipod touch, I have an older version of the nano. Today, I was asked if I wanted to update the software. Does that mean I'll have to pay too? If so, that's really dumb.

Nope, the $20 january update is only for the ipod touch. (And from what I saw on Apple's forum, people aren't too happy with it nor with the free update Matt was talking about.)

If you think about it, this is all about business. I'm sure a lot of people would do the same if it will pay your bills. Technically it is legal for them to do so, right? Not ethical, but it is legal and it's their product so the only way to battle this, is by not buying their products!

If this keeps going on, Apple is going to build up a reputation for bashing early adopters of its products (remember the massive price rebates on the iPhone?). That would be sad, because Apple has always had a reputation for working with the consumer... still, it remains to be seen if Apple is really going down this path.

I think the reason why they're doing this, it's because Apple products are going down. I've seen many people at the computer shops returning their macbooks or imacs and exchanging them for a laptop or a pc. At my school only the film and recording arts students use macs, the rest just have a pc and portable hard drives. In other words, the popularity is going down in industries that are not film and recording related.

Well, from all my sources (news sites and such) Apple's market share has not fallen significantly yet, it has just fluctuated in the usual way of things. It's been slowly rising over the past few years and doesn't show many signs of stopping yet. Still, you can never tell with these things.

Charging your users for an update, however, is a pretty dumb thing to do if your popularity is dropping.

Odd, I would have thought Apple would have included those applications in the first place...

Bleh. I'll buy the updates, but I'm not happy about it! (That's me, doing one thing but thinking another).

Sure, it's a little harsh, but I'll end up doing it sometime. Maybe if they realise it's a mistake, they'll do the same thing they did with the iPhone price drop - Give everyone money back. :)

Well I can't dig up the sources I got the news from, but I vaguely remember that there was a problem with the vouchers that Apple gave out to iPhone early adopters after the price rebate - something about them being difficult to use iTunes or the like.

The vouchers could NOT be used on iTunes gift cards, it was in the license agreement you agreed to when you got the rebate. They probably didn't want to give probably over several thousand dollars away in songs. However, most people who bought the iPhone early also bought Leopard, so it was nice to get a discount for Leopard.

Still, I guess people really complained about the iTunes incompatibility... it doesn't really seem sensible to me.