Windows Vista VS XP

Shiuze

If you're going to buy a new computer from stock, just make sure it's got a minimum of 1.5gb of RAM to handle the GUI that Vista uses, because it's only real downfall is it's speed.

If you're buying a computer and building it yourself, I'd suggest just getting XP, because you're not missing much other than a few games and the newer version of Office.

o_O Office 2007 works fine on XP as far as I can see.

I wouldn't really know much about this, since I've never tried Vista, but most of the people I know recommend Vista for new computers if they have the hardware to handle it.

I only got Vista yesterday. So far, apart from appearance, it doesn't seem all that different from XP - I've noticed that its much faster, although thats probably got more to do with the fact that my new computer is so much more powerful than my laptop lol

I got Vist a recently and I love the slickness of the design and features! It is pretty much the same thing but I would spring for Vista (if I didnt have it) if I had the money.

By the way, it loads faster that Xp did. ;) (for me anyways)

My brother has Vista on his laptop.

A very nice design overall and the extra features are very nifty also.

In all honesty though, I wouldn't say this is a huge difference. Vista may be somewhat faster than XP though.

I just recently got XP to replace my rather ancient Windows one. (Uncertain of the name, but it was a fairly old model) I am easily satisfied with that alone.

One great feature of Vista is the snipping tool which lets you take a picture of whatever is on your screen. It is good all around, so if your computer can handle it, I suggest getting Vista.

You mean like taking a screenshot? I can do those on my mum's old windows 98 computer...

Yeah, Vista has a tool which allows you to take a screenie of a specific part of your screen instead of the whole screen/window. And in all honesty, I love the Vista look way more than the XP one, but the hardware for it is just too expensive for me.

XP is faster. Without a shadow of a doubt. Vista has really cool graphics, and some good tools, but it's bloated, so it's just too much for a normal machine nowadays. However, Vista makes an excellent and much better use of system memory, so if you're so worried about memory usage and performance, get Vista, although XP is faster overall and so much better for gaming.

However, when DX10 comes out, you will all migrate to Vista if you want cool and great looking games. :)

P.S. - Microsoft's next OS, Windows 7 (codename MinWin) only occupies around 40 MB of disk space and it's so much lighter than Windows 2000. That's because the core of the OS is build on the best standard of Operating Sytems, Windows NT, and that's why Windows 2000 was one of the best and most stable OS's ever. XP was build on this too, but Vista wasn't. ;)

Well that's good news... I might actually be able to afford the hardware for the next Windows OS. :P

Well that's good news... I might actually be able to afford the hardware for the next Windows OS. :P

Unless Microsoft drastically changes the size, I agree. Let's see if my old Pentium III (which I am typing on at the moment) can handle Windows 7, as its RAM doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Vista (384 < 512) :(.

I've decided I don't like Vista now I've used it more... first my version of Photoshop was incompatible, then the CD-ROM drive's drivers decided that they wouldn't work anymore, even though they're there and (according to Norton and every system check I ran) perfectly fine!

So I took the computer back to the store and got another one... only to fine that Vista won't open at all on it! Yes, I'm serious. I'm back using my old Windows 98 computer again, and I'm taking the whole Vista system back to get a refund in the morning XD

I've decided I don't like Vista now I've used it more... first my version of Photoshop was incompatible, then the CD-ROM drive's drivers decided that they wouldn't work anymore, even though they're there and (according to Norton and every system check I ran) perfectly fine!

So I took the computer back to the store and got another one... only to fine that Vista won't open at all on it! Yes, I'm serious. I'm back using my old Windows 98 computer again, and I'm taking the whole Vista system back to get a refund in the morning XD

Hehe, Vista sucks in that aspect, I must agree. Until SP1 comes out, I don't see many people migrating.

Windows 98 nostalgia FTW. ^_^

No offense to anybody but I personally hate Windows 98 - it blue screened regularly to the point where it was almost certain that I'd lose a section of a valuable piece of work at least once a week. At least it got me into the habit of saving regularly.

i am not dat sure but...i heard my friends say vista cannot download alot of games...one of them is maple...but i dun think is true because i am using vista and i can download maple...but it is very laggy...when u say u are buying a computer...are u buying a laptop??or computer??

A laptop is a computer. <_<

I think she means that she's getting a new desktop. I'm not sure though.

And the main problems involving Vista and games result from the fact that Vista is a pretty new OS.

I use vista and it looks a lot nicer than XP and everything seems really smooth. However, that's pretty much it for good news.

It uses a TON of memory. The first laptop I got with vista installed on it boasted 1 GB of ram. That was not enough and the thing lagged like crazy. I returned it and got a new one, which is what I'm using now. It has 2 GB of RAM and it's doing okay.

The other annoying thing is it's really redundant and just utterly annoying. Programs require you to confirm tasks all the time and some you have run on "admin" settings that also require a confirmation just to run the program. Imagine this...every time I open up MSN, a popup comes up asking me to confirm that I want to run the program, and this is the only way MSN will work on my laptop.

It came with my laptop, so I'm keeping it (it IS really pretty and I like pretty things xD).

I believe the irritating feature you are referring to is the User Account Control system, which I've heard many people equate to an annoying virtual nanny. I hope they'll add more flexibility to it in SP1, because if I do get Vista in its current state UAC will be the first thing I turn off.

i am not dat sure but...i heard my friends say vista cannot download alot of games...one of them is maple...but i dun think is true because i am using vista and i can download maple...but it is very laggy...when u say u are buying a computer...are u buying a laptop??or computer??

Vista can play most games, but the speed of the games are generally lower than XP.

And why wait for SP1, when you turn it off now? In fact, you could turn it off ever since the final version came out on Jan. 30th (and RC2, I believe).

You just need to explore the Control Panel a bit. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove User Accounts (below User Accounts) > Go to the main User Accounts Page > Turn UAC on or off.

Choose to disable it and restart your computer. All done. :)

Note - You must be logged into an administrator account to perform these changes.

What I meant was that it would be a handy security feature if it was less intrusive, so I was hoping they'd add controls of some sort to adjust it.

What I meant was that it would be a handy security feature if it was less intrusive, so I was hoping they'd add controls of some sort to adjust it.

I second that, it's like they give you a choice to deal with it or just disable it altogether.