Yellowjacket Hive

Guest Levy

Well, its autumn and guess what, the fallen leaves revealed... a hornets nest...

Now, we want to keep this nest for a house decoration but we don't know what the best method would be. We mainly have one dilemma... do hornets hibernate, or migrate south during the winter? We ain't touchin the thing till we know for certain, please help.

Edited by Levy

Adult males do not participate in nest maintenance, foraging, or caretaking of the larvae. In early to mid-autumn they leave the nest and mate during "nuptial flights". Males die shortly after mating. The workers and queens survive at most until mid to late autumn; only the fertilized queens survive over winter.

That should be of help. If not, here is the article on hornets from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornets

Technically, the hornets should be 'migrating' about this time of year.

Long story short, the hornet nest shouldn't be very active. Or not even active at all.

I had the same experience has you and no they don't hibernate. they die.... Well at least that what I think carefully while ouside is like -10 degrees celius quietly take ajar put the nest in and go to some random place and toss itXD that what my mom did O.o we had 2 hornet nest so I'm techically a pro XD

Well this thing is huge, I can't believe we didn't notice it till the leaves dropped. Think Pooh-Bear-hive size. This sucker's a keeper. Thanks guys!

Okay, after looking it up, it might be a YellowJacket hive.

Pooh-Bear-size. xD I like that.

I also looked up the sizes of Yellowjacket nests and they do get huge. I mean, wow. Talk about busy bees!

Even if they are Yellowjackets, I believe the process is pretty much the same. During this time of year, not many insects are out. Bees are no exception, of course. So my best bet is that the nests population is limited and not very active. I do advise being careful, no doubt. (Although anyone knows to be careful around this fellers)