The iPhone

Ian

LOL what do you guys think of the iPhone? It costs about $220 to manufacture it, and yet it sells for about $500. Then you have to sign a $2000 contract with AT&T (the worst cell phone provider in the US) an order to get a discounted price for the iPhone. The small print kills with this thing.

But no doubt it's one of the coolest pieces of equipment around. ;o

Once you get passed the hype you discover that this first-gen product has been heavily over-hyped. Yes, it is a cool little gadget, but it doesn't do alot of the things that other phones can do. One to speak of is the fact you can't send a message to more than one person, if you do want to send the same text message to several people, you need to retype it each time. One other thing, the wireless internet is not as fast as the commercials display it to be, it would only be fast if you are in a WiFi hotspot.

If you are a hardcore cellphone user, you will be disappointed at this very expensive phone's lack of features that other, cheaper, phones possess.

EDIT: You know, about a month ago I considered making an iPhone topic in the Debate and Discussion board, but I never got around to making it.

It sounds like a rip off really. Companies are inventing all these new gadgets for mobile phones which aren't really necessary. All a phone needs is text messaging/phone calls (and then video/photo/internet) for the younger age margin.

And Even so, like Levy said, you can get all that in a way cheaper phone.

I don't really know how it will work here, for the iphone. Rogers is the only company that will support it, and it would be one of my last choice of cellphone company.

I watched some video about the iphone on Apple site... and yeah, it looks cool. But I prefer to save for a shiny iMac with Leopard than for a phone. I barely use my cellphone anyway.

Well I heard of a guy who hacked an iPhone so it would not be restricted to AT&T, I think the hack only eliminated the need to start the service so you could use it on WiFi.

Ha, I can imagine what it'll be like when it finally arrives in NZ. I'm hopeful that it'll be in the next five years, and the NZ infrastructure of telephone and cellphone communication systems is a lot better.

There's that Prada phone which is the only similar thing to it in the UK, I seem to recell. (Whom I pat LG on the back for jumping on the bandwagon). The iPhone certainly looks the business, but with my hatred over all overpriced Apple products, I won't be buying one.

Besides, like iPods, they're just a clear target for muggings. :P

OMG, that Prada phone is beautiful...touchscreen, metal, me want one!

About the mugging thing: Keep your ipod in a cloth bag or a skin, and use non-white headphones. Those are usually the most visible bits.

But generally (In the UK, anyway. :|) people will get mugged for anything, be it watches, money or loose change. :/

It's a shame because the iPhone is also pretty slick but since it costs so much money is a target for thieves like any mobile.

iPhones are pretty cool no doubt. Overpriced... for a phone? Heck ya. There's also other things to take into consideration too... AT&T was voted the worst cell phone provider in 29 out of 30 major US cities (survey unknown, just heard about it when I was shootin' the breeze w/ somebody). I heard of an AT&T horror story: this guy went to Canada and received a $3000 roaming bill the next month... the thing that kills is that most good cell phone providers don't even have roaming... either you have service. Or you don't. Terrible stories about AT&T, I tell you! Just terrible! :O

It makes you wonder why Apple chose to partner with AT&T in the first place. Just take a look at this.

I would definitely love to have an iphone, they are so awesome!! The contract part is horrible, though. Especially if you don't spend the $2,000, because the bills are going to be huge. My friend just got one for her birthday...but of course she is insanely rich. ^_^

Yeah, lili. :P I guess you do have to be rich an order to get an iPhone.

@evilguy: wow... that's deadly. apple must be getting a boatload of money from AT&T for this deal, because apple would never put their customers through such terrible-ness. :P it's just not like apple. i have no idea anymore...

Well all in all, I do think the iPhone is one cool gadget, although I have no use for a cellphone (which is why I don't have one).

PS: Call me AA

I was actually listening to a radio station this morning and this guy was saying how he got it and it was a piece of crap. He had to send it to Apple and get it "fixed" and it still didn't work.

Maybe once they fix it up a bit I will look into it, like Vista. :)

I honestly think that the thought they had was this: "Okay, so Microsoft had a huge flop with Vista. I bet we can get away with doing something similar. Just make it look pretty, and no one will be the wiser."