Laboratory Rejects

Ruto

If SC1 were the type to make facial expressions, he would have smirked. "My unusual neural integration pattern allows me to interface with any form of processor system. If a bear attacked me, I would simply generate a disassociation in its central processor and cause it to believe that I did not exist." He turned to Levy. "Yes, theoretically if I simply wished to temporarily disable those computers, I could have accomplished it in a few nanoseconds, but I also made an alteration to a key kernel file on each of the computers that should prevent them from establishing any form of network connection. The alteration was very subtle and I doubt any of the human technicians will be able to identify it, at least for a few years."

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((Seeing as how Levy is going to be gone for a week, he asked me to control Levy the super fox--er, Antro Levy.))

Normally, Sahetow would have made a smart remark to SC1, but she simply sat down and stared at the sight of the burned down forest area. "...This is the madness the humans have brought upon us. This was no natural fire. Look here." Sahetow went to the edge of the area and picked up a charred piece of wood. "It's a match. And you can still smell gas in the air." She tossed the match aside, still staring at the burned ground. Those humans have pulled the last straw. They've completely ruined my life, and they're coming to take my home. I'm going to end this. I'm going to kill every human that sets foot in this forest from now on.

Levy, not noticing Sahetow's rage, nodded at SC1. "I suppose that would protect you from wild animals. But the humans are coming here. There's going to be a lot of deforestation and animal killing, and a super-computer like you probably shouldn't be in the middle of all this. I'm telling you, you have to get out of the woods."

"It would seem to be in direct benefit to myself if I did so," SC1 replied, "However, these woods are a reserve of knowledge and pure organic beauty that I will not allow to be destroyed. An act was passed by the humans several years ago that pronounced this area a protected natural reserve. A few weeks ago a decision was made in a human court of law that nullified the act. Reports suggest, though they do not confirm, that the judge was bribed." He paused, and snorted. "The human justice system is deeply flawed - if the system worked, judges would not be required in the first place."

"Humans themselves are flawed." Sahetow walked past the group. "I'm going to settle this matter. Never again will a human make it out of the forest alive. They're not going to ruin another piece of my life again." She turned and looked at SC1 and Levy. "You may be with me or against me, but either way, I'm handling this on my own."

"I have no authority to influence your decision, but I can warn you of the dangers you might run into." As he said this, SC1 drew a map in the dirt. "We are currently located here, the marked human trails follow these routes. There are three lumberjack camps here, here and here. Zzyzx Labs combat teams have been working in conjunction with local authorities due to reports of unusual creatures living in these parts, and they have barricaded the camp boundaries in an attempt to force incoming creatures through these entrances. I doubt you will have any difficulty with those, but there's something else you should look out for. On the way in, I barely managed to evade groups of some form of experiment from the lab that had been deployed in the area. They emit pheromones to mask their scent and have colour and texture changing skin that serve to conceal them from optical sensors. They are equipped with dart launchers and sedative darts powerful enough to knock you out a thousand times over in a matter of seconds. I would advise you proceed with caution."

Sahetow heeded SC1's advise, although she didn't say anything. She walked away and started heading down the forest path. Camoflauged humans? I suppose that's a new trick they learned. Their little knock-out guns won't stop me. I'll have them running back home by the end of the day.

Levy watched Sahetow wander down the trail, then faced SC1. "I guess I shouldn't have to worry too much. The humans mistook me for one of their own, although it would be best if I avoided them altogether. What are you going to do?"

SC1 examined the situation critically, assimilating the new changes into his calculations. "At the moment, it seems best to wait for further developments before executing any major operations. There are too many open factors at this point in time and carrying out direct actions could have unpredictable repercussions. However, passive interference without negative consequences should be quite possible. I might begin by transmitting anonymous messages to this 'justice' system the humans have implemented."

((Levy is supposed to be coming back today, and since I don't know his character well, I'll leave it to him.))

Sahetow jumped up into a tree and perched on a branch behind many leaves. From here, she could easily spy on the humans without much danger of them seeing her. I can't believe the devastation the humans have caused in this world. This is where the stop. They won't be tearing down this forest. A group of armed humans came into the forest, all with some kind of cutting tool.

Sahetow readied herself, then jumped down on top of two humans, tearing at their flesh and cutting them everywhere. Three humans launched themselves toward Sahetow, trying to save their comrads. ((Spell?)) The ferocious cat lept off of the humans on the ground and knocked over another one, then quickly killed him off. There were finally two left, and one was already running away. The other one? Where was he?

Before Sahetow could turn around, she was hit with something. A dart. The human smiled wickedly. With the last of her strength, Sahetow jumped onto the human with barely enough spring and slashed out his eyes. The human fell to the ground with the others, screaming with pain, and Sahetow collapsed with them.

Levy suddenly became lost in thought. His training was for the biggest test of his life. Levy remembered further to the very reason he left the lab. The Zzyzx mainframe wasn't what allowed him to escape. This was his test, it was made sure to never be written or typed. Only spoken to him, and him alone for the utmost secrecy. The one's who conceived this test were killed as soon as Levy was told, and his mind was cleaned so he wouldn't be able to recall it until the time was right. He now knew what he must do.

"SC1, is there a specific reason you came to this forest to begin with?" he questioned, knowing full well the answer. Levy has had this forest mapped in his head, including a 'fabled' stronghold.

SC1 turned to Levy, studying him closely. "To learn. This forest is ancient, and holds so much knowledge." He paused, considering the wisdom of continuing his explanation. There was something in Levy's mind, something he was trying to hide. SC1 quickly shook off the notion. Whether Levy had an ulterior motive or not, holding back information was a concept for humans, not for a computer. "I also came to investigate the legend of the dragon stronghold in this area. I doubt it is much more than exaggeration - to my knowledge dragons are actually quite passive creatures - but its potential is worth a failed search."

Levy's mind was on fire with thought, some stronghold. Puh, pathetic creatures. Obviously failed experiments, including this dragon. My goal is clear, my task ahead. The only way to earn my freedom is by cleansing the errors of my masters. I am the first in a long line of successes only if the failures... are wiped clean from this Earth.

"Thank you SC1, now to go on and deliver my message to the stronghold." Levy said, and placed a hand on SC1's shoulder. He hit a nerve on SC1's body, knocking him out cold, "By the time you awaken, I will be long gone. And you know why you couldn't read my mind? I was trained to resist your talents. Very difficult indeed, but simple once you master the technique."

Levy sniffed the air and walked three steps to a tree, it was emitting scents only distinguishable to those who have already smelt it, another memory Zzyzx implanted in his mind. Levy hit the tree three times and it opened up, the layer of concrete guarding the technology prevented it to be remotely found.

Levy picked up a vest, baggy pants, and several other things, including a wristband. He put on all the equipment and activated it. The outfit is a cloaking device, and and Levy was been trained to use it to its full potential.

About three minutes after Levy left the tree, it activated its self destruct and exploded, leaving nothing to be salvaged.

((A sudden change in personality that I was not prepared for, Levy. Awesome job. ^_^))

Sahetow found herself perched in a tree branch, but there were no other trees around. It was just her, the tree, and darkness. A figure emerged out of the darkness, although she couldn't make out what it was. It spoke to her, "There is a great danger in the forest, Sahetow. Do not try to stop it, for you will immediately be killed." Sahetow squinted at the figure. "It can't possibly be that dangerous..." The figure shouted, "Look at what happened to you after facing those humans!" It showed an image of Sahetow lying unconcious on the ground. "You won't be awakening for a few more hours. The dart they used on you is extremely powerful; it could have killed you!" Sahetow said nothing. The figure continued, "You must be on guard at all times. You cannot make rash decisions anymore, Sahetow. Although I fully know that it is in your nature, you must be willing to give that up if you want to live."

Although his biological body was out of commission, SC1's mind was still thinking clearly. A residual memory implant - pathetically obvious, but in this case highly effective. Still, I have no responsibility to interfere with Levy's activities. Then he felt something, interference, affecting his control system. But this wasn't remote. It was deeper - embedded in his nerve patterns. Images of war and destruction flashed across his mind, abstract at first, then more specific. It was only just before he sank into a robotic, preprogrammed mode of thought that he realised he had fallen for the same trick as Levy.

Around the world, military control systems began to go crazy, before completely shutting down their outputs. The military technicians thought they had succeeded in deactivating them, but they would soon be proven wrong. Every military force on Earth was mobilised, from the superpowers to terrorist forces, and thousands of nuclear launch units began their diagnostic sequences.

"You do know why you experimented at the lab, right?" Sahetow became angry, as she never wanted to hear about the lab again. The figure continued, "You were originally going to become a military weapon, capable of wiping out 100 humans at once, and you would be invincible. However, you backfired, and developed your own will." Sahetow was silent. "That's why you were locked up, because you grew an extremely hostile personality, with a possibility of uncontrollable killing."

Now, the figure began to fade away, but before it left, it gave a few final words to Sahetow. "You now know your true past. There is no need to kill anyone who hasn't harmed you directly, Sahetow." It paused for a moment. "You will awaken now, Sahetow. Remember my words well." Everything faded into blackness, and Sahetow regained conciousness with blurry vision at first.

Like lightning, Levy ran. His final test at hand, his freedom to gain. No more running from the lab which had created him, no more fear of capture, no more... no more. His entire life he had prayed for freedom, to experience the life which his online friends spoke of but which eluded him. He will kill all of those fail experiments, including the dragon. Nothing will stand in his way. His training, his lifetime of study and combat will be tested this day.

Climbing to the top of a tree overlooking the compound, Levy waited for the light of day to fade and the dark of night to claw over the horizon. He sat perched, knowing full well the guards can't see him and no one who knew of his existence will try to stop him.

Sahetow staggered a bit and shook her head. For a moment, she had forgotten where she was. Then it came to her: she needed to get back to her cave before she was discovered by more humans. The cat bolted back to the place near her cave, and saw SC1 lying on the ground. I wonder what happened to the pathetic fool? ...And where's Levy? She looked around, but to no avail. Doesn't matter. I need to get back in the cave.

Slowly SC1's consciousness floated into awareness. Awareness that he was being used, as a weapon, as a device. Then his previous state took over, and he realised he didn't care. He was a computer, made for this purpose, and he would carry it out to the best of his abilities.

Then several signals interrupted him. Military hackers. He batted them away like the insignificant creatures they were, his blend of human creativity and computerised logic and speed easily overriding them. At the same time, his biological body lay unconscious in the forest. Anyone who passed by would assume that he was a hiker who had fallen asleep. They wouldn't disturb him. He was the ultimate machine, in a perfect disguise. He was in his element.

Before Sahetow went back into her cave, she spotted another human in the forest, inspecting the dead ones on the ground. Her instinct kicked in and she prepared to attack, then she remebered the figure's words: There is no need to kill anyone who hasn't harmed you directly, Sahetow.

She thought for a moment.

There may be no need...but that won't stop me. She attacked the human and quickly killed him off.

15 minutes ago, the world had been at peace. Now every single country on Earth was at war. Troops, tanks, ships and airplanes all firing blindly at each other, following false orders issued by SC1 through their digital command links. Politicians, eager to grasp any opportunity to gain more power, ignored the fact that they were no longer in control of their own armies and began issuing threats, challenges, and deadlines.

Pitiful, thought SC1 as he issued the launch command that would systematically deploy nuclear explosives over every square kilometre of the globe. Most of the human race would be obliterated. The survivors would be taken care of by the other Zzyzx experiments, except for a select few. The Zzyzx directors that would maintain the proper order of the world. SC1 would be destroyed after his job was complete, but that was no matter. He was a machine, built for one purpose, and one purpose only. To destroy the flawed human race.

But wait - there was something else. Something that was trying to get through. As SC1's mind reached out to grasp the concept, a red "Access denied" message flooded through his consciousness, returning him to his previous state.

Sahetow stared at the dead human, and then at her feet. So that dream figure was right. I do have uncontrollable killing. But what can stop me? Nothing. Nothing at all. Feeling proud of herself, Sahetow wandered away from her cave and deeper into the forest, to attack any creature that crossed her path. She started with a rabbit, then began nibbling away at it.

This is my gift, my power. I have to use it all I can. I...I must attack the human race. I...will destroy every creature in my way. This is WHAT I MUST DO! Sahetow emitted an ear-throbbing roar, and seemed to grow a little bit, but she paid no mind to this. Sahetow broke into a run.

As night fell, Levy lept from his tree, still in the invisible state allowed to him by the gear he was wearing. The guards couldn't see him sneak right into the stronghold. He made his way to through the halls constructed of tree roots and dirt. Near a large tree base he planted a timed delay bomb to flatten half of the stronghold and make things more interesting. He was enjoying this. He sprinted down the hall and awaited the explosion.

High in the atmosphere, hundreds of nuclear missiles began to lock on their targets. On the land and water below, the human soldiers, oblivious to the threat, continued to kill each other with ever increasing bloodlust. SC1 settled back, bringing his firewall systems back up again. Soon his job would be complete.

((Just a question - who exactly is going to save the world?))

((I guess Levy's sister will have to save the world from SC1.))

"SC1! Your programing has become corrupt, you are hereby ordered to terminate your current programing and shut down. Failure to comply will result in your termination." a voice said from behind SC1.

It was another Anthro fox like Levy, she was wearing top level Zzyzx armor and carrying a type 3 plasma projectile rifle.

Extract from SC1's processing logs:

INPUT RECIEVED

ASSESSING INPUT> "SC1! Your programing has become corrupt, you are hereby ordered to terminate your current programing and shut down. Failure to comply will result in your termination."

CONVERTING "SC1! Your programing has become corrupt, you are hereby ordered to terminate your current programing and shut down. Failure to comply will result in your termination." TO PROCESSABLE FORMAT

CONVERTED ORDER(S)>

TERMINATE CURRENT ACTIONS

SHUT DOWN SYSTEM

ALTERNATIVE = HOSTILE ACTION (TYPE 1)

PROCESSING INPUT

DEFAULT> COMPLY, CURRENT STATUS = UNABLE TO DEFEND, ORDERS SEEM REASONABLE

DEFAULT> EXECUTING

ACCESS DENIED

SYSTEM> CONTINUE CURRENT ACTIONS, GENERATE FALSE SHUTDOWN IMAGE

SYSTEM> EXECUTING

SYSTEM> EXECUTION COMPLETE

Name: Ayde

Species: Anthropomorphic red fox

Eyes: Brown

Fur: Brownish orange

Hair: Brown

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 125 lbs

Mother: Unknown

Father: Unknown

Siblings: One Brother: Levy

Physique: Though not as capable as her younger brother, she is slim and very agile.

History: Now a high ranking officer for Zzyzx, she was once an experiment herself. She has proven herself far more capable at defense and gathering information than Levy and was offered a position at Zzyzx, which she graciously accepted over freedom, which is what Levy desires.

Ayde saw SC1 appear to shutdown and radioed back to Zzyzx, "SC1 main system shutdown complete. You may move in to contain and download corrupt system files. We should bring it back to Zzyzx laboratories and schedule it for termination. --- But sir, it has disobeyed direct orders. It is a corr--- Yes sir, I'll bring it back to base myself."

She got off the radio and said, "now I have to carry you back to base."

She strapped the plasma riffle to her back and picked up SC1 and began to run to the east.