LONELY

Psmucker3

The best thing to do is to make at least one friend out of the people in your program. I'm personally a really shy person and I hate going out by myself, so having a buddy to go explore and try new things with really helped me. Plus, if you're the kind of person who gets homesick, you'll have someone to talk with about all the stuff you miss from back home.

After this, I highly recommend going out and making friends with the locals. Not only can they offer tips about the best places to go, but if it's a country that speaks a language that's different from your home country, they'll be a really good way to practice the language without embarrassing yourself.

Basically: put yourself out there and make friends. That's the best (and only) cure for loneliness while studying abroad.

I agree with everything above! I think also that as time goes by things will naturally get better, as well. Just being in an unfamiliar place can add to that "lonely" feeling. As you become more comfortable with your surroundings and those around you, things will brighten up! =] Don't be afraid to meet new people or chat with those in your program - I guarantee you are not the only one feeling a little lonely. And of course, you have all the folks on the forums here to chat with as well. =P

LOL. Fabulous for sure. (:

Things are always going to be awkward in the beginning. It's called "getting to know" someone because it doesn't happen instantly! Let time do its thing and you'll be fine in a little while =]