Nay for wrist/arm injuries

brynchilla

I walk a dog. The dog can be pretty rambunctious, and likes to jump up on people. Lately, the owner has been trying to get the dog to stop doing this. So, when the dog jumps, she will push him back down and say in a deep voice 'no'. I was helping out by gently pushing down on her back and grabbing her collar before she could jump.

Something must have gone wrong, because a few minutes latter, my wrist started to really hurt! I would twist my wrist, and it really hurt! Then it started travelling down my arm. When I got inside, I noticed that my fingers were numb. It was sort of like when you come in from the cold to warmth, and your fingers feel a little numb. 

Now i',m sitting here typing this with one hand with an ice pack on the hurt wrist.

My cat is also in front of the screen, so I can't see what I am typing. Cute, but annoying!

I'm sorry to hear that. I also have a rambunctious puppy and she does the same thing. I have had a similar thing happen to me. It sounds like the dog either hit your hand or your wrist got caught and twisted in the dog's collar. Is your wrist bruised or swollen? Can you move your hand and fingers?

I'm sorry to hear that. I also have a rambunctious puppy and she does the same thing. I have had a similar thing happen to me. It sounds like the dog either hit your hand or your wrist got caught and twisted in the dog's collar. Is your wrist bruised or swollen? Can you move your hand and fingers?

I'm really not sure, it just seemed to start hurting!

It was rather swollen, but has since come down a lot. I took extra strength ibuprofen and iced it. My fingers are still a little numb, and it only hurts a little when I move it now. I'm keeping an eye on it, to see if ti gets worse.

Thank-you for caring about it! 

It sounds like it may be a strain or a slight sprain. My wrist the other night out of nowhere actually started hurting and it made doing things almost impossible. Try holding a squirming 18lb toddler with a sore wrist, not fun lol. I took extra strength Motrin (ibuprofen) and did nothing for the pain or discomfort. It wasn't until I put my wrist on my heating pad that it started to feel better. So you could try putting some heat on it too.

For the pup what I would do is have it on a short leash in your opposite hand and in the hand that it's walking on you grab the leash lower down and you'll have better control. The proper way for a dog to walk is beside you, not out in front leading the way, which I know is harder then it sounds. My 6yo Jack-Russel still hasn't grasped that concept. With having each hand on the leash like that you can grip it tighter and pull the pup back. Another thing you can do is get the pup to sit down when another person is passing and hold the leash rather then the collar. You mentioned the dog wears a collar but not what type of dog it is. With my jack-russel we use a halter/harness for when we take her out for a walk or a vehicle ride. If she was in a collar she'd choke herself. I'd try something like that too, and it'll give you a bit more control over the pup and be more comfortable. Hopefully you can help get this pup into a polite walking companion! :)

Oh wow. I thought doing normal day things was difficult, but add in a toddler and everything must become like 20xs harder! You really are a trooper!

Goodness, that's really helpful! I'll try those out on the next walk. It's going to be a switch, because she's used to going on the retractable leashes, with lots of room! That's going to change soon.

She is a Regal, a rotwhiler/beagle mix. So a rather large breed with lots of energy and curiosity!

(Note: 8 hours later, my wrist is much much better. Very minimal pain and fingers are good to go :D)

You're welcome! When my old dog had her pups, the oldest would always walk behind me and try to jump up my backside. So I'd have to walk her like that and after a while I got her sort of brave. She'd still dart behind me when she got scared. With the Mum she'd pull like a sled-dog, she was such a power house, I always liked keeping her close so she wouldn't yank the leash from my hand, which she's done several times. I used the method I described above and it helped quite a bit. She was always on the retractable leash too. She was so strong she could pretty much break any other leash and had to get put on a retractable for large dogs so it was stronger.

Wow that is a fairly large dog! Not a pup you want pouncing on people! Just my lil Jack-Russel can knock-me over when she gets a good go at it.

Good luck getting her to walk better. It's so hard when they have a mind of their own and are rather stuck in their ways.

I'm glad your wrist is feeling better, hopefully it'll be feeling even better tomorrow. :)

Sorry about your wrist.

Try a "gentle leader" for the dog.   It is like a collar, but bottom of the leash connects at their chin, not their neck.  So, when the dog pulls, instead of choking, it gently turns their head and they are no longer going in the direction they wanted!  No pain for the dog, and they learn right away not to pull on the leash, and it doesn't gag them the way a regular collar would.  In no time, the dog walks beside you with a nice "J" in the leash, without pulling.  They can open their mouths completely, even though it goes over their muzzle, and my own two dogs have learned to get excited when they see  me take it out of the drawer!

Here's a pic of a dog wearing one.

Ouch!! How's the wrist today? If it's a regular sprain, I'd hope the swelling would be down and it would be stiff and maybe still a little tender in the wiggling. Did you wrap it / brace to sleep in? If not I recommend it.

Sorry about your wrist.

Try a "gentle leader" for the dog.   It is like a collar, but bottom of the leash connects at their chin, not their neck.  So, when the dog pulls, instead of choking, it gently turns their head and they are no longer going in the direction they wanted!  No pain for the dog, and they learn right away not to pull on the leash, and it doesn't gag them the way a regular collar would.  In no time, the dog walks beside you with a nice "J" in the leash, without pulling.  They can open their mouths completely, even though it goes over their muzzle, and my own two dogs have learned to get excited when they see  me take it out of the drawer!

Here's a pic of a dog wearing one.

I've seen those before, just didn't know how they worked. That might be a bit better option to try. Having more control over her head will help redirect her negative behavior a lot easier. :)

It's much much better now, thank-you all!

I kept it on ice for a while. It was a little annoying, because the swelling wasn't very evident. (I broke my other wrist/arm area, and it's now bigger than the other one.)

A gentle leader sounds like a good idea. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for one.