Working on the Fourth of July e-e

indiechiquegeek

I'm just a little upset that I have to work on the Fourth of July. I guess, granted, at least I get paid extra (I think), and hopefully the store where I work will be quiet (who shops at a pet store on Independence Day?). And it's raining, so I don't even think a whole lot is going on- it's probably a little difficult to hold a parade and fireworks in the rain. But still. I hate to sound old (no really I'm not I swear), but why do retail stores feel the need to be opened on national holidays?

I know, right? I've had to work through Thanksgiving dinner several years in a row, and Christmas Eve too! If I had to work on those days or on the 4th, then I'd rather get it over with early in the morning so I could have the rest of the day to spend with my family. Retail stores don't care if their employees miss holidays with their families, it's all about money for them.

If people stopped going, the stores would close because it wouldn't be worth it for them to be open. Just something for people to think about. :eh:

That's odd that you work in a retail store and had to go in. who goes shopping on the 4th? haha (well I could see grocery shopping :p)

I had to spend my morning/afternoon in the hospital getting my monthly dose of medication so I was bummed of all days it had to be on the 4th. haha but no fireworks going on in my area so don't think I'm missing out much XD Our power also just came back on after 24 hours. -_- so it's not a good 4th for my community in general lol

also I feel you working on holidays as I remember spending Christmas, Christmas eve, and thanksgivings during my last job. I didn't mind it though because they left me nice bonuses and I was usually able to finish up my job in a couple hours

anyways, I hope you end up having a happy 4th. I hope you have a relaxing day of work at least :)

I would make sure you actually get holiday pay. It's up to the business if they do or not and some opt out and you get paid normal time. I worked at 6am today and I didn't make any extra for it being the holiday. But at my other job we got the day off AND it was a paid holiday so I ain't complaining.... I basically made bank working a few measly hours if you count the job paying that I didn't even have to go to.

Like I said, depends on the business though. They are not obligated to pay extra, at least not where I live in Iowa. And I worked Christmas in Los Angeles at a movie theatre and it didn't pay any extra either for holidays.

I'm just a little upset that I have to work on the Fourth of July. I guess, granted, at least I get paid extra (I think), and hopefully the store where I work will be quiet (who shops at a pet store on Independence Day?). And it's raining, so I don't even think a whole lot is going on- it's probably a little difficult to hold a parade and fireworks in the rain. But still. I hate to sound old (no really I'm not I swear), but why do retail stores feel the need to be opened on national holidays?

Well if it makes you feel better, I had to work on both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. There WERE SO MANY PEOPLE! I was working at a dollar store but heck...you'll be surprised how many people buy their stuff for Christmas ON Christmas Eve. I mean...shouldn't at that point be like...IT'S KINDA ALREADY HALF WAY OVER? (Not meaning to be mad but I just thought that was crazy). Oh, and I got regular pay. I didn't really mind cus I don't really celebrate but I think I would of been bloody pissed if I did have to work on those days. I'm a poor university student so pay = good.