Horse Owners/Lovers?

kaybee92

I was just wondering if anyone else on here owns horses, rides them, or just admires them with a healthy dose of respect from afar!

I own two - one is a 15hh 6 year old Trake/TB cross named Chapulin (a nahuatl/spanish word for grasshopper), and a 16.1hh 25+ year old Hanoverian gelding named Lucas who has not been informed of his age yet.

This was taken yesterday: me riding Lucas <3 He's really enjoying his semi-retirement which includes plenty of trail rides, being used to run errands at the ranch I'm keeping him at, and giving "pony" rides to little kids. All my riding clothes right now are "show gear" so it's really funny to me how I'm all decked out in Ariat & Charles Owens and on a WB...outside of a show ring.

331k87t.jpg

My mom has always been obsessed with horses, so that means I have to like them. They're so beautiful and strong, there's a pasture not too far from where I live and the field is all swamp and you know the horses are going to get hoof rot and it makes me so sad. I cannot own horses because they're kind of expensive and hard to take care of but I was a member of 4H as a kid and I still love to go horseback riding or just feed them.

That does sound like an unfortunate setup! I am very lucky in that land and hay and labor are very cheap in Mexico, so owning horses isn't even a fraction of what it would cost to do the same in the US. I heard someone complain about paying $185 for full board and shoeing a month the other day and I nearly fell over laughing because it can EASILY cost 3x that in the US just for board.

I used to own two Tennessee Walkers. I had to put my gelding down due to an injury he sustained and my filly I sold to a wonderful home. I came to the decision to sell her after I had my daughter and just didn't have the time to care for my horse anymore. I felt that I was neglecting her and she didn't deserve that. She deserved a home where she could get all the attention she deserves. I miss them both dearly. My gelding had his life ended too soon unfortunately. I live in a small town and had them boarded about an hour from where I live, so not very practical to begin with.

A friend of mine in town has a barn just outside of town and she takes me riding when I'm not busy. My daughter also comes with me for a while to play with the animals a bit before her Daddy takes her home. Later on we may get an acreage and a couple horses. But right now I'm happy not having the extra responsibility. I know my filly has a much better home then I could have provided for her at this time in my life.

I used to own two Tennessee Walkers. I had to put my gelding down due to an injury he sustained and my filly I sold to a wonderful home. I came to the decision to sell her after I had my daughter and just didn't have the time to care for my horse anymore. I felt that I was neglecting her and she didn't deserve that. She deserved a home where she could get all the attention she deserves. I miss them both dearly. My gelding had his life ended too soon unfortunately. I live in a small town and had them boarded about an hour from where I live, so not very practical to begin with.

A friend of mine in town has a barn just outside of town and she takes me riding when I'm not busy. My daughter also comes with me for a while to play with the animals a bit before her Daddy takes her home. Later on we may get an acreage and a couple horses. But right now I'm happy not having the extra responsibility. I know my filly has a much better home then I could have provided for her at this time in my life.

It's probably for the best to rehome a horse that still has a career ahead of them. I'm looking to sell my stally because although I love him to bits and pieces, he has the potential to cart someone around 4ft+ jumpers and I'm not the rider he needs to do that, considering how I live 9 months of the year in a different country.

I had a mare who passed away from an unfortunate paddock accident after she tried to jump a concrete fence because something scared her :( It still feels awful. I can imagine how you feel!

Horses... horses are my dream pet ever since I can remember. I just love them so much! I managed to have my first ride at age 7, and it was a dream come true. Unfortunately I never EVER had the chance to ride again, because it's so uncommon to ride here...

I don't know if it's because I live in the big city, away from the countryside, or if it's because horses here are considered a luxury that only the very, VERY rich can ever dream of having. I still wanna take riding lessons one day <3

Here's 7-year-old, still-blonde-and-cute me, riding a mare called Estrela (star, in Portuguese) :)

1375878_536345486441550_1299005151_n.jpg

omggg you were so cute and you look so thrilled hahaha. I'm trying to figure out what kind of saddle that is, at first I thought it might be a gaucho thing but Google is failing me.

I guess it's the big city thing, I live in more of a half-industrialized, half-ranching city and horses aren't that expensive to keep.

omggg you were so cute and you look so thrilled hahaha. I'm trying to figure out what kind of saddle that is, at first I thought it might be a gaucho thing but Google is failing me.

I guess it's the big city thing, I live in more of a half-industrialized, half-ranching city and horses aren't that expensive to keep.

I had no idea there were different kinds of saddle *feels stupid* :P But I live far from the gaúcho area (that's in the South, close to Uruguay and Argentina), so maybe it's not? Not sure if that helps tho :P :P

I'm an equine professional! I teach and train horses and show them. I just LOVE taking care of them. I have two at home. One is a retired Welsh show pony and the other is a paint draft cross that I take fox hunting. Horses are amazing. I don't think I could survive without them...

Oooooooo, yay! I love horses, so I'm so glad I saw this thread. I suppose I am the stereotypical Texan, because I have owned many horses (my dad had a ranch) and I just think that they are AMAZING creatures. After we sold the last of our horses, I missed working with them so much that I decided to volunteer taking care of horses on ranches for special needs children. It is very fun/ rewarding work :D

• 3 weeks later...

I love horses.

There are 4 at the bottom of our garden. The landlord allows Hilltop Horse Sanctuary to bring them over for about 6 months of the year.

I also adopt horses and donkeys from Redwings Horse Sanctuary.

I used to love horses and would draw them often, then I added a horn and my obsession turned to unicorns.

I once "rode" (I sat on it and a guy just lead the horse)a horse at this place called "Dead Horse Ranch"