MEGA YAY FOR AERIAL SILKS

kaybee92

When I'm not playing NeoPets or riding my ponies, I like to climb up on tiny pieces of cloth and do dangerous things. I had skipped two classes, but then when I went yesterday I did GREAT! I learned a new trick and practiced the "angel" pose (what I'm doing in my prof pic) at a height I had never done.

The problem with height is, if you're not 100% sure you nailed the trick and you get stuck up there or fall, it's not a problem if you're close to the ground. It's a really big problem if you are REALLY high up bc no one can bail you out.

Without further ado, I present you my bragging rights!

30t2p0p.jpg

The video of my new trick unfortunately uploaded sideways. Oops! But here it is: http://videobam.com/oSAJZ

It's called a bunch of things...aerial silks, aerial dance, etc. You might have seen it referred to as (typing in spanish here, hoping the portuguese version isn't too different!) telas or danza aerea.

And thanks!! It reaaally builds your upper body strength, abs, and flexibility. The best part is doing splits because gravity just kinda makes you do them. No talent required! See here for proof (yes, I was in PAIN but literally I had to do nothing but hang haha, only reason why it wasn't a full split was my shorts weren't stretchy enough)

22j66g.jpg

When I was younger, I used to think that the silks were specially strengthened...I don't know what changed my mind, but I'm pretty sure now that that's not the case. O.o

I think being able to do the silks is/are great (that's part of what makes my favorite Hufflepuff video so special is the gal on the yellow silks!), but do me a favor and don't become a hairealist (sp?) like those gals that crashed a couple of months back. O.o

When I was younger, I used to think that the silks were specially strengthened...I don't know what changed my mind, but I'm pretty sure now that that's not the case. O.o

I think being able to do the silks is/are great (that's part of what makes my favorite Hufflepuff video so special is the gal on the yellow silks!), but do me a favor and don't become a hairealist (sp?) like those gals that crashed a couple of months back. O.o

Ohh I think I heard about that! I only have a few months of experience but I'm really aware of how easy it is to injure yourself up there. I ride horses and I had a BAD fall May 2013 that left me with basically chronic neck/shoulder pain.

As far as I'm aware the silks are just a special kind of cloth. They go from stiffest to stretchiest (don't know what makes it so, probs like the threadcount) and it's easier to learn on the stiffer ones but easiest to do cool tricks like falls and slides on the stretchiest ones. The pic with the blue silk is from last summer and it's a little sturdier than the black one I use now.

By the way, Kay, you're a lovely girl. ^_^

(And woo, 'cause you can't be afraid of heights to do the silks! *quiver*)

~*~

You heard about the Badgers video? Have you seen "Sorted this Way"?

I think the aerialist isn't in until some of the final chorus scenes, but it's pretty cool, anyway. :D

One of the girls in those videos is Ginny DiGuiseppi (the "I thought I wasn't good enough" girl) - she was one of my REALLY good online friends when I was younger! She dedicated her first novel to me :) I'm proud to say I can do 2 or 3 of the 5 different tricks the aerialist does in the vid!

And thanks :*

I stopped watching the Not Literally stuff several months ago when Ginny left. I watched her "I'm resigning" video and it was so over-rehearsed that I could tell she had a fight with Dana. :P

It sucks, but life goes on.