Customization help, please!

I've recently got into customizing, and mostly I'm trying to win the Customization Spotlight. I've entered my Elephante for several weeks and I've had no success. I would love some feedback on her customization. Any tips and tricks? I'm looking for just Neopoint items.

I was considering adding a foreground such as the Special Event Foreground. What are your thoughts?

Here's her current customization:

2.png

What leverhelven said about the BG and her outfit not matching - yeah, I definitely agree. Also really look at the past winners. They all seem to have a theme. The colors blend well and they have several things going on like a garland, a foreground, maybe a light or some sort of floating thing (movement - even though we don't see the movement in the picture, it adds overall to the theme). I've tried to win too but I know what some of my issues are. For example here is m0ranga who I've entered a couple of times. edit - what's going on with this font? weird!

I think she looks pretty good. She's a skunk wocky and I decided to try the black and white theme with just a touch of color. But some people don't like blk/wht. I also should have added that movement - like a snow shower. There are things I can improve upon with her. The thing is, try not to get frustrated and keep trying!! It does get a little frustrating when I see people who have won multiple times but I figure they just must have the touch because it's determined by votes - not by the TNT folks.

The carnival BG may be good with yours. I used it on my faerie lenny. Lots of color and suggested movement. Also maybe some contacts (since she's got big eyes) or one of the faerie eye shadows. That would make her eyes stand out

Here she is although I chose the wrong colored wings. They blend in too much:

elephantepreview_zpscac1ad0a.png oops! I just realized - you want NP not NC items, right? Well I think everything on her is NP and the FG and BG are NC..

Could you list the items that you're using? I'll try and come up with something on DTI - I love to customise ^^

Thanks everyone! I struggled to find a good background.

The items I'm using right now are:

• Elephante Flapper Dress
  • Elephante Flapper Gloves
  • Elephante Flapper Headband
  • Elephante Flapper Necklace
  • Elephante Flapper Shoes
  • Streamers Garland
  • Rainbow Dance Ribbon
  • Nighttime in Brightvale Background
I was kind of going for a "night on the town" theme but I can see why it would seem like the BG doesn't fit. I wasn't sure what a better one would be, though. I can look for some matching colors, perhaps...

EDIT:

So I took the suggestions and updated the background and the item she was holding. I'm now using the Cloudy Sky Background and the Pink Knit Purse, and I added the Dark Translucent Wings. What are your thoughts on this new outfit? Any suggestions for improvements?

Image:

2.png

Edited by Lamppost

Oops I've only just seen this, my apologies!

*hops off to DTI*

I went through all the NP items on DTI and came up with this theme:

medium_preview.png

She's famous xP

The items I used are:

Birthday Streamers (I thought they gave it a little summin extra and filled it more than just normal streamers)
Neopies Dressing Room BG
Black Eye Shadow
Grundo Admirers Foreground
Hassee Stripes (orange is a contrasting colour to purple and I think it really works)
Neopies Backstage Pass (not necessary but I thought it highlighted she was famous a bit more)
Neopian Times Writing Quill (for autographs ;))
Neovian Serving Trolly
Jelly Banquet