Greetings from Scotland!

Hi there everyone! c:

I've been playing Neo on and off since I was 13 I think it was. My name's Laura (as you might have guessed!). I'm in my final year at university, and I'm a huge drawing/ painting/ gaming/ crafts enthusiast.

I like to think I'm quite friendly, but I'm quite shy in person, haha. ^^

I was quite active a couple of years ago on another account, but since I've been away for so long I've made a new main account, and with it a new neopet - my spotted tuskaninny Toreil. He comes across as a bit of a gruff dude, but he's really just a big sweetheart. I'm working on some art of him for the BC at the moment. (:

Anyway. It's nice to meet you all!

Thank you, Bibii! ^_^ Hmm I'm sorry if this answer ends up being a bit of a paragraph, haha! My university course is a Fine Art one, so I do a lot of drawings there from life or similar (in various media such as graphite, charcoal, conte, and ballpoint); which then end up being translated into oil paintings.

Also as a hobby in my free time (unfortunately I'm not getting a lot of that at the moment), I play with digital art too, mostly for fan art of different websites and my own characters and such.

I'm quite versatile at different mediums; although at the moment I'm really big on oil painting. My favourite medium is definitely old school graphite pencils, though! :)

Oh, well I have a ton of work uploaded here on my tumblr (providing it's ok to post this link; I hope it is!): http://lauraclarkart.tumblr.com

And well most regular pencils are actually made of graphite, haha. :laughingsmiley: Unless you mean a different kind? But yeah; graphite's really easy to erase providing you use a good plastic or putty eraser.

And ooh, do you have any uploaded work? I'd love to see it!

Hi, Laura, welcome to TDN Forums :)

Wow, you're really talented! Love the dog. I wish I was good at arkwork, but I'm more of a writing kinda gal.

Thank you both! :) I absolutely adore making more realistic pieces like the cat eyes, butterflies, feathers and the dog, although my course at the moment is demanding some more… abstract stuff. Once I graduate I'll have all the time in the world to make more artwork like that, though! ^_^ I can't wait to see if I'll get any commissions too! That might be a while away yet, though.

Aw thank you tinti, although the truth is I draw absolutely every day. I think that's the trick, really! If you're passionate about something and keep at it long enough, you really can do almost anything. That's awesome though! I'm not such a good writer, but I definitely enjoy roleplaying and writing up short passages about my pets! Have you done much neopets based writing?

On that note, I think this year I'm going to participate in NaNoWriMo too, since I graduate in July/August so I'm sure I'll have the time to take part. :) Exciting!

Oh graphite, I think I mixed that up with charcoal >< You're really good ! I love the colors and all ;3 And yeah, I love the dog face :) And I really like that drawing with 3 same person that starts to fly/jum/dance ? the kind of blurry one! Wow :3
I have a DA, but I have not upload stuff in it for a while now :S jijiyee.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hello & welcome! :D

OOOHH, if I ever go back to tumblr, I'll reblog some of your stuff!

I never really learned how to use oils...my stuff always came out super messy lol

How is charcoal hard to erase, Bibii? well...if you put too much, i guess it is hard to erase :P But you can smudge charcoal and it's so easy to use as long as you don't overdo it :P That's just from my experience

Ooh, Bibii, you have some really lovely stuff there! ^_^ You should definitely keep at it and upload more stuff!

And ah yeah, possibly you mixed it up with charcoal. Willow charcoal is easy to remove but compressed charcoal can be a total nightmare. ;n;

Hi there Pookies! Thanks for the welcome! :D And thank you very much! It would be super appreciated!

Oils are honestly super messy by nature, haha. I don't know anyone who doesn't get in a mess when they're painting with the stuff. :laughingsmiley: Like I said above though, baby oil is the trick! I guess oils are just a medium you need to persevere with. :) They're so so flexible they're definitely one of my favourite things to work with. Unlike watercolours there's no rules or limit to how much you can put on, or how dark/light you can make things. They're definitely fun to play around with!

o_O But charcoal is kind of impossible to erase completely no? I really prefer stuff that allows you to make lots of mistake for instance on computer, thank god for the ctrl+z ^^

@Laura Oh thanks for the info, never knew there were different kind of charcoal ^^

No problem! And yeah, Willow charcoal is one of my favourites. But it has it's own problem - you could do a lovely piece of shading but if you lean on it with your hand by accident, it ALL sticks to your skin and gets removed. ;A; So you have to use fixative a lot if you're in the habit of leaning on your work like I am, haha.

Yeah, that's absolutely true. I have periods where I write every day, and others where I just feel blank, but when I start I see inspiration everywhere and can't stop, improving and having a lot of fun. I once took a course in creative writing but it was so ...technical and all about how a certain genre should be written and built, and how you should just think up a good idea, plan it out etc. Which is a good thing if Im stuck, but for now I prefer to write based on inspiration. I watched a few drawing videos a few years back and drew quite a lot, but for some reason I stopped. Maybe I whould pick it up again. I drew a few Neopets too.

Oh, I've been wanting to participate in NaNoWriMo, but I'm kinda the inspirational writer, and I usually write poems and short stories. I have created my own little world with sort of a plot, and wondering if I should write a book about it. We'll see. Yes, lately I've been very inspired to write Neorelated stuff, I've written a petpet spotlight entry on my Xwees adorable Boween, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to enter, so I'm hesitating a bit... Also it's a bit harder to write in English than Norwegian ;) And I have a few ideas for the NT. One that I'm working on and need to get on with if it's not gonna be outdated.

Ooh, well if you feel like drawing, you should definitely pick it up again. ^_^ You should also think about entering the Beauty Contest or the pet spotlight with your drawings of your neopets. It would compliment your writing for the pet spotlight!

Yeah I'm quite the same; when it comes to things like roleplaying, I usually write at least 500 words per turn. It's a lot easier to write 4 or 5 500 posts than to write the equivalent all for one thing, if that makes sense. But it's something I've fancied doing for a couple of years now, so I might bite the bullet and do it this year!

Yeah, you definetly should, I have a coulple of friends who've participated a few times and had lots of fun.

I actually went to Staples on my way home today and picked up a sketchpad and a few supplies, nothing fancy, just to see. Haven't had time to try it out yet but I will, when I have tie. I've always believed I can't draw because of my vision impairment but who said that other than me?

charcoal: if you used too much, yes I dont think you can erase it. that's why you go little by little (or I do anyway) I put some, use smudging tools or my fingers to shade, if it needs more (darker) then add more, repeat until you have it the way you want

when you "erase" it's just another way to move the charcoal around, but not erase completely like we are used to with normal pencils and erasers and control z

but just like oils...they are messy and fun lol

in my last piece I made, I havent protected it and so it constantly gets smudged but very easy to fix