Account stolen- literally, they're using it as their own.

Rougeos

Hello, TDN forums!
I hate that my first post is something so negative, but I was hoping I could find some insight here.

I was on my own account a few hours ago while my fiance was at work- lo and behold, she's abruptly online despite being at a cash register six miles away. I look at the account, the entire lookup layout has changed and they're emptied her coffee shop-themed gallery and are pawning off her NC items for GBCs.

Her pets are untouched due to what I presume was her PIN code, or I presume the expensive petpets would've been taken and sold already.

I've put in a ticket regarding it and am presently waiting on her to text me on her break with her account's PIN code, which I'd forgotten. I hope that's enough to validate the ownership of the account.alongside the previous password & email.

Has anyone else had this occur? If so, were you successful in claiming your account back and what was the time span you dealt with TNT's ticketing system? She does not used a shared computer and no one besides myself has her account information, so I'm guessing she got CG'd or something recently.

I had my current main stolen once, and I believe it was from visiting users shops. That being said I had a slightly different experience with it and that no one did any damage to anything on the account (which was great because I had a BGC in my SDB at the time). That being said it took about 3 months to get my account back and they froze it the day before they gave it back.

I have been paranoid about loosing my account for awhile though and went through the form for how to identify my account so every time I purchase something on the trading post I screen shot it. The same with pounding a pet etc. I don't know if that will be enough information to get it back but it would be wise to get it frozen for now until they respond to your ticket.

Her account needs to be frozen before more damage is done. Hopefully TNT will freeze it and help her get it back. Good on you for noticing. Otherwise, she can try and take the account back by herself, maybe use her email address and send it, but it probably won't work.

http://www.neopets.com/autoform_abuse.phtml?abuse=report

This is the page you have to use to report that suspicious activities are happening on the account right now. Usually when that page is filled, actions are taken within minutes. It's pretty serious and the account needs to be frozen for protection as soon as possible.

Your friend will then have to open a ticket (from a side account or a new account) to get back her main. She will need to provide as much details as she can about the account. You can't do it for her.

It's a good thing you were on. Reporting the account was definitely the best action to take. If the account has been frozen for protection, I've read it usually takes about 2-3 months to return.

I've noticed quite a worrying pattern of veteran accounts being compromised lately. If you don't mind my asking, how old is her account? And did she have a strong pw/changed it frequently? Or perhaps any other security measures, like the login birthday prompt or browser safety add-ons?

Best of luck to both of you.

Her account is 50 months old- we made both of our 'mains' on the same day together.
Her password was strong and basically gibberish, but was not changed frequently. No extra safety add-ons and birthday prompt must have not been enabled.

The account has been successfully frozen for the time being, which is a big relief to both of us.