New Topic, Bump, or...?

Pascalla

A user posted something but their post got the thread locked because the last post of the thread was older than 21 days.
The post was relevant to the conversation.

Maybe the post didn't add a ton of insight to the thread but the thread asked for opinions in the first place.
The user's opinion was also backed up with a relatively detailed explanation of why they had their opinion.

Still, the thread was closed/locked since the last post was over 21 days old.

• What should the user have done according to TDN mods?

Revive the old thread to keep all related thoughts in one place or just create a new topic although it would be a repeat topic?

I guess I'm mostly confused because most forums either state whether they'd prefer someone to revive an old thread or make a new one. Both are apparently against the rules here?? Help/Explain?

This isn't exactly a hypothetical question, I'm in the same situation as the user. Though at this point I won't post the opinion since after all this build up it'd probably get people to roll their eyes. >u>;; It was a valid opinion though. Well, everything's a valid opinion, really.

I can't seem to find any other topics that ask this but if there are then my apologies!

A topic can be revived as long as it is still relevant. Previously, topics would be locked after not having been posted in for three weeks, but that is no longer the rule.

Not only the post has to be relevant, but the topic still has to be as well. If it's about an old news thing, it probably isn't very relevant any more, or if it's a specific question one user to asking for opinions on, after a couple months, the user probably has made up their mind. Use your common sense, and you should be fine.

Rebecca~; Okay, so just to make sure I'm clear on this...

If that user were to do the same thing today then it wouldn't be a problem?

Is there a limit to how old an original thread can be? I mean-- I doubt that anyone would want to revive a five year old thread but you'd rather have them revive that thread rather than create a new thread?

EDIT: Whoa, hello. I see you edited more into your post. I would properly like to reply to that.

The older news part is in the rules, so no worries on that part.

I think seeing an older thread where a relevant post was pretty much marked as not relevant threw me off is all.

If that's not a rule anymore though then I'm not too concerned.

I wasn't exactly sure how recent the rules were since the rules were posted in 2007 and the thread was from 2010.
I also wasn't aware that the rules had changed since then.
I had assumed that particular post was under the current rules since it wasn't stated otherwise-- not that I expected it to be, I just wasn't sure/didn't know.

I thought there was something I wasn't understanding about what was deemed as relevant, but okay thank you very much for clearing that up! O:

If the user did the same thing today, assuming their post and the topic itself were relevant, it would have been fine. Back when those mod edits were done, we had a rule of not bumping threads older than 3 weeks.

If you check the rules, now it simply lists not bumping old, irrelevant topics. There's no longer any mention of not bumping topics over a certain age.

The rules were originally posted in 2007, but instead of creating a new post for them especially since that post is frequently linked to in various places, we edit that post with any updates, so those rules are always current.

Now, old bumped threads are usually only locked when, like Rebecca mentioned, the topic itself is no longer relevant, even if the user has something relevant to say about the topic. Or if perhaps a member was asking for opinions on something and not only is the thread insanely old, but the member that asked hasn't been around in a long time, we'll lock it as no longer relevant. It is a semi-case-by-case basis, but we only really lock them if there's a good reason to.

If you ever have any questions or want any clarifications on the rules or what may/may not be allowed, feel free to create another topic or you can contact a moderator privately if you prefer.

Ah okies, thank you so much for elaborating a bit further!

Also, I'm glad that you mentioned the last part!

I actually have another question and wasn't sure if it would have been okay to quickly ask it here or not.

I didn't want to break the relevance rule or anything since it's a forum question but on a different subject.

I'll PM you about it, thank you! ouo