To help with the spam issue

Ellie_Penguin

Okay, we are all pretty annoyed by those spammers. Unfortunately, even with more Mods we will still see them. So here's a suggestion that I think will work perfectly well. I've seen it on other forums and they get 0 spammers. I have NEVER seen one on any of those forums because of the sign up system the use.

So basically the sign-up system is a registration system in which your account will have to be activated in order for you to use it. It can get annoying, but it is totally worthy. I don't know if Ian has this option or if he can get it, because it is a really good way to stop the spam. Also I think if you get the sign up system, you can also set up on the rules that you MUST create a "clean" username. I think that will also speed things up when it comes to activating accounts.

I personally think it's better to have a mod who can activate accounts, rather than a mod who will be deleting spam. The whole point is not to have spam, right? So even if a mod deletes it, a lot of people would've seen it already.

Sounds like a great idea. I have to admit that I didn't like the idea until the end, when you said that there should be a mod that is specificly for activating accounts. This way, it's preimarily that persons job, but the staff members will/should also have the power to activate the accounts, but they don't have to feel obligated to do so. :yes:

I like the idea. I know this option is on Invisionfree boards so it is bound to be an option for IPB. The only problem I could see is the option for mods activating accounts. I don't know if that would be possible or not, maybe an admin would be the only person who can activate accounts.

This is a great idea and I am very sure it will help. I hope the forums have the right options too :)

I like the idea. I know this option is on Invisionfree boards so it is bound to be an option for IPB. The only problem I could see is the option for mods activating accounts. I don't know if that would be possible or not, maybe an admin would be the only person who can activate accounts.

I thought of that same problem. If it were admin only, then poor Ian would have to deal with all the account himself. :( Unless he bumped the whole staff up to admin, and told them only to touch the one thing. :P

Yea, I'm a little against the whole invite only thing. Maybe when people register there can be a message that says something like this "Due to a new policy, you should recieve an e-mail with your registeration information when your account has been activated. Please allow up to 24 hours to recieve this e-mail." the time could be different, but along those lines, so when people do sign up, they realize what is going on, and not why can't I log in and stuff like that...

Also if Ian can, it'll be a good idea to make it so you cannot edit your profile either, until your account has been activated. There are two options, you can make it so that you cannot log in at all until it has been activated, OR you can make it so that you cannot POST until your account has been activated.

I like all these ideas because I sometimes accidentally click one of the spam topics and it makes me SO MAD! :grrr: Instead of having an admin activate, cant you just send an email with an activation code in it. Sort of like what neopets does. And something maybe like 3 accounts to each email address so that way that spammer cant keep making an account... thats just an idea. And I dont know if its a good one at that.

My friend also said that if there is a way, can you ban the email address from making a new account?

I think it's possible to ban the IP adress but there are programs out there that allow you to change your IP so it probably wouldn't work

I like all these ideas because I sometimes accidentally click one of the spam topics and it makes me SO MAD! :grrr: Instead of having an admin activate, cant you just send an email with an activation code in it. Sort of like what neopets does. And something maybe like 3 accounts to each email address so that way that spammer cant keep making an account... thats just an idea. And I dont know if its a good one at that.

My friend also said that if there is a way, can you ban the email address from making a new account?

I don't think the email ban would help at all, its incredibly easy to make new email adresses.

and great idea Elli, hopfully they will be able to impliment it ^_^

Well, why not have someone just check the basic detail, the Neopets username? I posted my list before of possible ( probably 60% likely) users who'd turn out to be spammers, but the mods refuse to take action until someone actually does something wrong.

As was said when you posted them, Mr. Pessimistic, we can't take action unless they have a username with a curse word or the like in it, they could be people with really funky names for all we know, even if they probably not. And some people perfer for their usernames to be undisclosed for privacy. I think Ellie's idea is the best, and eaisest, way to deal with things.

<_< coming from a person whos username is dansmellslikecrap... anyways, it is a god idea, but it has already been considered, Ian is still working on a way to stop them. Ill leave this open for discussion.

I had this idea that you should have a certain amount of posts in order to post links.

That is a really good idea, even if it is a small amount like 10 or 25 it would stop them. This way spammers (bots) couldn't post links, but real honest people can just after a few simple posts. :yes: Although, I'm not sure if it can be done. This solution would eliminate the mods having to do extra stuff, and stop the spam all at once! :)

Correct, it is a BRILLIANT idea, except, like I mentioned, I'm not sure if it can be done. That will be up to Ian to figure out. I might look into it on the Free Forum I have, but I'm not sure what you can do with the paying forums.

There's not much you can't do on the paying forums ;)

There's definately a possibility that we can ban links until a certain amoutn of posts has reached - but that wouldn't stop the posts. So, what's the point? We're still getting spammed.

We've looked into making accounts needing approval - but only an administrator, on the forums (someone in the Management usergroup) can do this. There's only one member in the Forums Admin - Ian. And he has a lot more things to be getting on with than sitting activating accounts - he's not around amazingly often, and he is busy working on making a hell load of stuff for you lot. We don't charge you for anything here, and Ian is the one that makes everything on the site work. He does everything, and he can NOT be expected to sit through a pointless task, for no actual gain for the forums.

Sure, the spam is annoying, but is it really such a big deal? If you've got any sense, you won't click on the links; at the very minimum, software installed should prevent viruses. It's basic common sense, it really is.

And, yeah, we have a load of usernames with offensive words in them; but you want Ian to sit through and delete them? Get real; that's so time consuming, and so pointless. They dont keep using the same username. =/

And IP blocks are about as effective as telling the most devout Christian in the world that God doesn't exist.

Obviously, we don't click on the links, but it is the fact that those bots post on almost every topic and it's disgusting seeing all those P posts. Also, there are KIDS who come to the forums and it is for their own security and spam like that is reportable. Not saying you guys should come up with a lawsuit or anything, but I think you can report this spam to some high authority?