Amazing zap, but what should I do?

~Xandria

So my previous faerie meerca just turned into a zombie meerca via lab ray and she looks awesome! Problem is, I've been zapping my pet for stat changes (since I'm cheap).... I don't think I should continue zapping after something so awesome, but she is my only BD pet. :/ Not a very good one, but I haven't been zapping long. Anyways, in short... should I try and trade for a dreamie or continue zapping? I really have became attached to the name Dietzi though.

Urgh, decisions, decisons.... :/

edit: the more I look at her the more I think she has the potential to become a permie... I just don't know. Doesn't seem like she would really "fit in" with my other pets....

you could start training her while you decide? lab ray sadly skews the stats, i've been trying to fix my poor lab ray pet for the last 3 months, his/her (keeps changing) level is so low compared to HP, been unable to train any other stat.

try playing around with come customisations as well if you are into that sort of thing? you could try zapping a poor pound pet and adopt it out if anything interesting happens to it (i always feel so sorry for the really badly named ones with no hope) in the meantime :)

good luck deciding!

It's a difficult decision - I've just decided to make my pet weeminkle into a permie, and train him up properly. Now that with the new BD levels make a real difference i got fed up of training levels only to have the lab take them away :p

I've found a pet from the pound to zap until he turns into something nice, then I'll see if anyone wants him.

Yes, this is up to you. If you want to keep zapping, it is a cheap way to get stats, but you sacrifice the species/color/levels/defense of your pet. Zapping for years can help you get a strong pet with lots of HP. My pet has over 850 HP, and I've never trained anything but level. (I'm currently trying to get her level up so I can train her, too. I want to raise her defense, and right now red codestones are so cheap that they're the most cost-effective way to train.) She's had a few good zaps over the years, and so I've been faced with this choice, too. I always eventually go back to zapping. I don't care much about species or colors; I don't worry about her not fitting in with my other pets; and I don't think I've ever even used the word "permie." I care much more about stats. But that's just me.

You could also look at it mathematically. If you were to keep zapping to gain stats and later decide to convert her to a zombie Meerca, a Meerca Trans Potion would cost you 115k and a Zombie Paint Brush would cost you (wow, those listed prices are all over the place; I'll use the average) 6.83m, which in total is 6.945m. If you spent that on training instead, it would buy you 11 Five Dubloon Coins at 5,100 NP each (to get to level 40) and 984 codestones at an average of 7k each. Of these, you need to spend 12 of them to make your pet trainable, but after that, you can spend the remaining 972 codestones on training whatever stats you'd like. If you trained evenly and tried to keep your level at the minimum, you wouldn't leave the Intermediate level, which requires 3 codestones for each stat point, and therefore you could gain 324 stat points. You would probably distribute these fairly evenly, so at the end of this, your pet would have these stats:

Level: 76

HP: 152

Strength: 152

Defense: 152

That's the break even point. If you plan to train beyond this, you'll save NP by zapping and just converting back to a zombie Meerca when you're ready.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's what you have to do. You do sacrifice having the color and species you want. You also sacrifice having a balanced battle pet, unless you plan to supplement your zapping with training and/or use items to train the stats you want. And I don't know how long it would take for your pet gain 324 stat points by zapping. I'm sure one could figure it out by considering the probability of each type of zap, but I was never very good at probability, so I'll leave that for someone else. On the other hand, it would take time to train, too, although it would definitely be a shorter amount of time because you wouldn't have losses.

I hope this helps! I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do.

I think that Lampy makes an excellent point! At some point, she may change into a species/colour you like even more! :3

And congrats on the zap, Xandria- that really is a nice one. :3

I don't know if this is likely, but just to give you another option - you could try and trade for a pet that has a higher HSD. You're currently at 164, so maybe around 200? even if it's just basic. That way you'd be a bit ahead in the training and get a new pet to zap and perhaps come out with a colour/species combo you like even more. You didn't think about having a Zombie Meerca before and now she's really grown on you; another pet could probably grow just as much on you once you have it. I mean, I don't know how much zombie meercas are in demand so you might not find such a trade, but it was just a thought.

Thank you everyone for all of your input. It's a hard decision but I'm pretty sure I am going to continue zapping her. I change my mind about 'dreampets' all the time, in fact, the only one on my account that is a dreamie is my plushie kacheek.

As far as labray training goes, is it really that bad to have low level/defense when you have such high HP? (I am currently in the process of training my other pets as well, so... not that it matters much I guess) I just think that if I got a really awesome zap one day and my lab pet happened to have really high HSD then I could trade in for something cooler. (:

Koralis - thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I could try and trade but the neoboards are just so... erm, frantic that it makes trading impossible almost. xD Not impossible, what you have to put in A LOT of effort.

As a person who battles with a lab rat, it's not really bad. It just changes your strategy. Shields are pretty much useless, but the high HP means you can take a lot of damage, so it's ok. My strategy tends to be "Hit him really hard and finish him off before he can do the same to me." And it tends to work.

I do wish I had tried to keep my pet's stats more balanced as I was zapping. If you start training now and keep training, you may get your pet to "trainable," and then you can train defense as the lab raises your strength and HP. Then you'll have a more balanced pet.

Haha tell me about it. I frequent the PC a lot, mostly just to lurk, and I think "frantic" is a nice way to put it. People like to think their pets are 'worth' more than they actually are so, yeah, trading can seem impossible at times. I think you made the right choice with continuing to zap Deitzi.