I think I'm living in fear of losing my hobby

Naamah D.

Gaming is the only hobby that makes me happy, but I have epilepsy. I've never had a seizure due to gaming. However, I'm very scared that I will start having them due to gaming. My mom has told me several times that I will never have to give up gaming due to epilepsy. I have really bad trust problems and ask her all time if I will. She also promised me.

Do any of you have epilepsy and play video games? My mom promised me that I can play video games for the rest of my life, but I don't trust her on that. Is it only a certain kind of epilepsy where video games effect the condition?

I've worked so hard on gaming my entire life and would hat to give it up.

I know one of my friends has epilepsy and he's a huge gamer. He hardly ever does anything else than having lans with his friends and he said he's never had a seizure when gaming. I don't know if the little knowledge I have might calm you down... I think it depends on how severe your epilepsy is and what kind of games you play? But at least my friend has been able to keep his hobby up! :)

I've been gaming for such a long time. My first game ever was Pokemon Blue. It's really hard to imagine life without it, but hey! I won't have to :)

Well you shouldn't be afraid of things that you can't change, I know easier said then done. If you have problems that stop but if you don't then continue on. It seems as though you don't have that bad of problems if you are an avid gamer and haven't had problems yet.

Also looking at it from a different light, if you do have problems and have to give it up (which seems odd since you have played multiple games and not had problems, maybe just avoid the ones that do) you will be starting a new chapter in your life. Maybe you will find a hobby that you enjoy more. Don't look at it like it is a terrible thing but look at it as though it is an opportunity to try something new and learn something about yourself.

It's so annoying because I can't go on fashion websites like a normal girl. I have to be very careful with what I eat. I start a diet today where 600 calories or less is my daily intake. My metabolism is crazy slow and if I gain another clothing size I won't be able to attract men. I used to be obese! People act like body image is such a problem for me when really, they eat until the cows come home! Body image is not a problem for me. I just have to work extra hard in hopes to attract a boyfriend. Gaming is the only thing that will make me somebody's dream girl.

The smaller the better.

I start a diet today where 600 calories or less is my daily intake.

Gaming is the only hobby that makes me happy, but I have epilepsy. I've never had a seizure due to gaming. However, I'm very scared that I will start having them due to gaming.

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor about both of these things.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure video games (such as the Sims, as it's the first game that comes to mind) have to tell you that there is a chance that you could have an epileptic fit even if the chance is tiny just because of legal reasons. I'd assume it's like some products having to say "may contain traces of nuts" when there's like a 0.001% chance of there being a trace of nuts in there. They have to say it so then if someone DOES have a reaction, they can say it isn't their fault because you were warned.

I suggest you ask your doctor, though. They will be able to give you the most reliable information on this.

I just want to address your "the smaller the better" comment. I hope you succeed in reaching your ideal in a healthy way, but also that you are very aware of when to stop. Please don't become a stick figure. I hope this isn't insulting, but when you say "the smaller the better", it scares me. We've all seen pictures of sickly skinny girls, and that's definitely not something to strive for. And I second passiflora's advice on talking to a doctor. Your doctor will be able to help you both with losing weight in a healthy way and advice you about your epilepsy.

• 3 months later...

I just have to work extra hard in hopes to attract a boyfriend. Gaming is the only thing that will make me somebody's dream girl.

If the people you see on a daily basis make you feel this way then you are definitely hanging out with the wrong people.

This is exactly how my mind worked when I was in high school. I know that it's really hard to get yourself out of this mindset, and it feels like no one understands when they tell you that you're wrong.

Don't ever starve yourself, or put yourself down because you don't feel like you're good enough to get a boyfriend. I don't know you at all and I can't tell you what's right for you because only you know that. But I know that you probably know starving yourself is really unhealthy. You have more going for you than just the fact that you play video games.

• 3 weeks later...

I love riding horses, and I am scared that one day I will be too hurt to be able to ride. It makes me happy to see older individuals riding, but at the same time, I see riders who can barely walk at 30. I don't want to lose the only time I am happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry you're going through that fear. For what it's worth I've met a few people who have epilepsy but are still able to play video games. Depending on your type of epilepsy you might have to play less or give up only on games with a lot of flashing stuff or you may be fine with everything. Don't assume the worst straight away before finding out from your doctor.

I don't know exactly what's going on but if your mother says it's ok I'd believe her for the time being. It sounds like she may have been doing research and knows that you may be able to continue or she may have spoken to doctors already. If it turns out to be wrong, don't let that shake your trust in her; parents are only human and like all humans they can be wrong sometimes even when they're almost sure of something.