Website idea. Should I or shouldn't?

Alishkah

So, I'm thinking of making my own website. It will be for Melbourne musicians (I might branch it to other places if it works out) where I'll basically be listing all Melbourne artists so when people are looking for other acts they don't have to ask around or sift through multiple sights (facebook/myspace/reverbnation etc) Maybe, I'll even post updates and stuff for cd / ep release and other news.

I'll also categorize artists so if you want a certain genre it's easier to find.

This may sound lame but opinions? Yay or nay?

Also, If anyone is willing to help, Say with artwork or even coding, That would be super sweet. But yeah, If anyone thinks I should go ahead with this, Do say! Even though it may not be in your area, I just want to know if it may be worth all the time I'll be putting into making it before it goes live even though I'm not that great at css/html I know basic stuff so it won't look that bad.

I think that's an awesome idea and one thing you can add later on is Tour Dates.

Yeah, I was thinking that. And maybe if the site becomes successful making a zine (self made magazine) to hand out on the street full of interviews and such.

--------

I'm glad that people approve. Thanks guys. :)

One of my friend is running a similar website called 514blog. (It's about music and fashion, in a promotional way.)

If music is your passion and you have time to research your topic, I'm sure it can be helpful to people in your area. :) So go ahead and jump in the train! You might want to run it with a kind of content management system / database to make it easier on updates too.

Definitely, it sounds like a great idea. It's always great to have everything in the one place. It would be awesome if someone would do that for Sydney gigs!

I was already thinking if the Melbourne one becomes successful to always do the same for other cities such as Sydney. :)

But that would be a long while away. Haha

If anyone wants to see what I've come up with so far:

fillthegapact.com

Suggestions / criticism is welcome since it's the first site I've ever made.