How do I sync my iPhone 4 WITHOUT replacing my iPod or losing any of my music?

Lady Lyuba

I finally was able to download a ringtone that iTunes did not have (iTunes - GET THE TARDIS SOUND AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASING! :evil_notsmiling: THAT IS THE ONE I WANT!) So I had to download the file and of course everything opens in iTunes. So I Googled tutorial after tutorial on how to convert a mp3 into a ringtone, and I tried it and finally got the sucker into the right file format - but now here comes the scary part. I have never used iTunes for my iPhone 4, only my pretty pink iPod, and I'm terrified that if I ever sync my iPhone, I will not only lose EVERYTHING in my library, but that my phone will replace my iPod, too. I fear this because when my mum got an iPhone, it became her new iPod and replaced it, taking over the library. I want to still be able to download new songs onto my iPod, and not make it worthless. What good is it if I can no longer add new songs? I'm scared!

I make too many topics in this thread but I always need computer help because I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS, absolutely nothing except how to play games. :sad02:

Umm I'm by no means an expert but:

As far as I know you can only sync from iTunes to device, not the other way around. Meaning if you, say, sync your iPhone to your library that you made for iPod, it should overwrite everything on your iPhone with the iPod library. Syncing a device to iTunes should not change the iTunes library. You can choose what to sync though, so you can create 2 separate libraries (playlists) then, one for each device and sync accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Just if you need confirmation, what icedragonair said is true :) I have an ipod and iphone and they are both synced to the same computer. The scary over-riding bit happens when you plug your iphone/ipod to a different computer and sync it with that (although you can just go back to your computer and re-sync it). Also it's great to sync your iphone with itunes, because it backs up everything, and I mean literally EVERYTHING. My iphone had a little accident once and I got a replacement and when I synced it with itunes, it had all my texts, apps, calender stuff, even notes, it was like I had exactly the same phone. Not really your question... but just an added bonus :)

• 4 weeks later...

When you sync with Itunes, you only erases things on your device if you let it. There is an option where you can sync your devices automatically when you connect it to your laptop or you can sync it manually. If you sync it manually, things don't get deleted off the device right away. You'll need to play with it but as long as you make sure that what you want to sync is selected, then things shouldn't be erased unnecessarily. When syncing, your Itunes will not be affected in any way. Nothing will be deleted and erased unless you do the erasing. I hope this helps. =)

• 5 months later...

As far as I understand you may just sync from iTunes to apparatus, not the other way around. If you, say, sync your iPhone to your own library which you made for iPod meaning, it should overwrite everything in your iPhone with the iPod library. Syncing a device to iTunes shouldn't change the library. You can choose what to sync though, so you can create 2 different libraries (playlists) then, one for each device and sync appropriately.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact hrtbrk if you have any questions regarding this action.