I have a dilemma.......

~Xandria

Hello everyone! I seem to be having a neopets financial crisis and would appreciate some feedback. :P

So.... I am really wanting to save money. I want to have 10 million in the bank and then allow myself to spend after that on what I want. I'm coming up on my next 1 million. (I spent the first on a baby pb and who knows what else. :worried: Which I have to admit I am kinda disappointed in; because I don't like my baby koi as much as I thought I did. It's cute and all.... but eh. It will be getting zapped once I have the lab ray.

Okay so here is my issue.

- I want to save money but my dream pet is calling my name.... (either that or the lab ray map) haven't decided. I don't have nearly enough for either one yet... but I know once I do I'm going to end up spending it on one or the other.

If you were in my situation what would you do?

Save?

Get your dream pet?

Get the Lab Ray?

Thanks guys!!!!!

You bring up a good point. It is probably a good idea to save. I just really want the faerie meerca in my profile picture. ^^ Is so cute. But when I got the baby pb I found myself quite disappointed. I was just happy to have finally afforded a paintbrush I guess.

I just hope I can force myself to save. I know it will be much better in the long-run. Just sucks in the meantime. Thanks for your reply! <3

I always SAY I'm going to save until I have (noble amount of NP here), but at some point I end up splurging on something that I really want and end up setting myself back a little bit. Like right now, I'm setting my sights on 3 million, and I was juuust about to reach 1.5 yesterday when all of the sudden, I saw the Snowy Valley Stamp Collector avatar again and remembered how badly I want it *-* so I ended up spending almost 200k on 3 different stamps for that page and now I'm gonna have to get back to 1.5 mil slowly. I never end up saving for as long as I say I will :laughingsmiley:

As long as you buy something you don't regret, you can do whatever you want with what you've saved so far! If you're really itching for a paint brush or a petpet or anything else that costs a sizable sum of money, go ahead. But I guess in the long-run, try to keep your bigger goals in mind and use that as an incentive to save more :) once you have that final goal of NP, you'll be able to splurge on almost whatever you want and it'll be that much more satisfying! Or at least...that's what I tell myself ;)

You bring up a good point. It is probably a good idea to save. I just really want the faerie meerca in my profile picture. ^^ Is so cute. But when I got the baby pb I found myself quite disappointed. I was just happy to have finally afforded a paintbrush I guess.

I just hope I can force myself to save. I know it will be much better in the long-run. Just sucks in the meantime. Thanks for your reply! <3

Well I didn't so much mean "save and save and save and DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THAT COOL THING YOU WANT YOU ARE SAVING!!!", but maybe just figure out whether you're shooting for that faerie meerca first or the lab map. Neopoints are made to be spent, but I find I'm much happier with a purchase when I know that I've been working towards that thing, as opposed to "maybe this or that".

Well I didn't so much mean "save and save and save and DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THAT COOL THING YOU WANT YOU ARE SAVING!!!", but maybe just figure out whether you're shooting for that faerie meerca first or the lab map.

So you wouldn't much care for my "save save save and don't even look at anything remotely interesting ever ever ever"?

Huh. I *think* I would get the lab map first, because you might could zap a faerie meerca? I'm a saver though. I like to keep a solid 10 million in the bank, and I'm almost saved up for the first of five paint brushes I need. I keep 100k on hand every day in case I might find something for my gallery I can't live without, though.

Saving up 10 million is going to take a long time. It's totally worth doing, but... yeah. It's especially hard when you have a dreamie that you can afford. I would start with saving for the paintbrush or lab map- it's so much easier to keep saving when you have something that you love.

What do you intend to do with the Lab Ray? Do you just want to zap your pet to get the color you want, or simply have a lab rat for fun? Would you be more happy to have your dream pet or access to the Lab Ray?

I would definitely have gone to the Lab Ray first, but I'm just really addicted to it. :D I tend to use my NP rather than saving so I can cross goals off on my "to-do" list. Saving NP is when I have absolutely no idea what I want, or my other goals are set as low priority (meaning it'd be nice to have them, but I'm happy without regardless).

I agree that if you're unsure and you don't make money as fast as you wish, you should keep saving!

I would say save it, because then once you have all the money you need as backup you can splurge and buy whatever you need! That's what I'm going for, I've always just splurged and bought items when I shouldn't have (getting out of that habit now, thank goodness!) But now I have close to 300K in the bank and usually try to keep a 1,000 NP on hand. Good luck!

I would buy the lab map once you have enough. For one, what's the point of saving NP if you don't buy what you want with it?

I would choose the lab map over the dream pet though because what happens if it's a repeat of the koi? You get your dream pet, but after a while you're not as excited by it anymore as you thought you'd be. That would be highly disappointing. Secondly, as someone else mentioned, you can always zap a faerie meerca *fingers crossed* - and if you don't, you could always end up with something you never really though about before, but end up loving.

I've never regretted buying my lab map.

Thank you so much for all the input guys! ^^ It is truly appreciated. I think I probably will be going with the lab map then. At least it will give me something to do in the meantime while I am saving up NP's. Perhaps if I have that, I won't be as likely to spend.

Does anyone know about how much the lab map costs all-together? (buying pieces seperately of course)

I recently got a second set for the Lab Ray (just a day ago), but I've already gotten two pieces. It costed me less than a million. I think I paid a bit more for my first set a month ago.

SunnyNeo is always a good place to start for most maps (that can be bought from the Shop Wizard—keep searching until you find prices that you are willing to spend), except those on the trading post since you can find much lower prices. Make sure, when you search, to check "Newest", and browse every page. For map #1, go with 600k maximum. If you see someone advertising "about" 600k, try with 580k or even lower (I got mine for 580k). For #5, I was able to buy it for 101k, but look for 105k maximum or so.

Good luck! :)

That's a hard one! I was also wanting to save to 10 million and although I'm quite a bit closer, I decided to splurge and get the secret lab map since everyone seems to keep telling me how awesome it is :) I'd recommend saving until you're sure what you want. Then go for it and spend those hard earned NP!

So you wouldn't much care for my "save save save and don't even look at anything remotely interesting ever ever ever"?

Well, I like to have my goal very clearly in mind first, like I said - I know I want this, it costs that much, so I'll save that much. I do like to have at least 100k in the bank always, though, and I know I've got points tied up in stocks and investment items if I'm really desperate. Maybe when I have all my pets sorted I'll become a "just save and save and save and save" person.

I tend to save because I usually regret my impulse purchases, well, the moment I make them ;) The lab ray isn't a bad idea though. It's not terribly expensive now, and it may just help you get your dream pet! What I might suggest is to set little goals. For example, when I was saving up for 10 million, I would allow myself to splurge 100 or 200k everytime I earned a million nps. I found that it helped curb my spending urges and made the whole saving process a lot more fun :) Good luck!

Well, I like to have my goal very clearly in mind first, like I said - I know I want this, it costs that much, so I'll save that much.

Good way to be. At least you won't be disappointed AND broke when you finally buy what you want.

I would do the lab map, I actually got one of my dream pets that way. (Still had to paint her though, wasn't going to risk a species change once I had a lutari) It's another daily, and it's fun! Perhaps if you have some neofriends they could give you a deal? I sold my last lab map and petpet lab map for super cheap to my buddy.

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions! Really helpful. I especially like the idea of spending 100-200k everytime I make a million, that way I don't feel as though I'm depriving myself. Haha.

The above idea is a really good one too. Perhaps I have a neofriend who would give me a good deal on the set/most expensive pieces. *fingers crossed*

I would save up to 10 mil if it were me, so you can get the awesome bank account ^^ Then maybe after that make a list of all the things you want to get and how much it'll cost to get each thing, then you can decide in order what to get first.

That's my two cents anyways :P Good luck!