BD Advice for a Beginner

cleomiele

Hello BDers! In all my years of neopets, I have never actually utilized or participated in the battledome seriously, so I thought I should ask the experts here for some advice while I start training my pet from the veeery beginning :)

First of all, what are some good, standard weapons to have on hand at all times? I'm not looking to defeat any particular opponent right now; I'm just looking for a set that will get my pet through some of the basic enemies, as I honestly can't make heads or tails of how good a certain weapon is in comparison to another. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Secondly, I'm training my pet at the Swashbuckling Academy right now, but I just wanted to ask: do I need to increase my pet's speed stat? I tried looking it up in a guide and from my understanding the only reason to hike up their speed is to meet the requirements of certain weapons.

And lastly, are faerie abilities helpful/worth the effort? I've seen many people who said yes and many who have said no, so I'm not sure what to think.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide!! I feel like quite the lost soul embarking on a new (to me) section of neo (:

Hello BDers! In all my years of neopets, I have never actually utilized or participated in the battledome seriously, so I thought I should ask the experts here for some advice while I start training my pet from the veeery beginning :)

First of all, what are some good, standard weapons to have on hand at all times? I'm not looking to defeat any particular opponent right now; I'm just looking for a set that will get my pet through some of the basic enemies, as I honestly can't make heads or tails of how good a certain weapon is in comparison to another. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Secondly, I'm training my pet at the Swashbuckling Academy right now, but I just wanted to ask: do I need to increase my pet's speed stat? I tried looking it up in a guide and from my understanding the only reason to hike up their speed is to meet the requirements of certain weapons.

And lastly, are faerie abilities helpful/worth the effort? I've seen many people who said yes and many who have said no, so I'm not sure what to think.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide!! I feel like quite the lost soul embarking on a new (to me) section of neo (:

It totally depends on your budget. I think Faerie abilities are worth it. I don't have the good ones yet though. :(

I suggest for a starter's set:

x2 Scarab Ring

x1 Leaf Shield

x1 Lesser Healing Scroll

x2 Scroll of Knowledge

x1 Purple Sticky Hand

x1 Downsize

Cost: 100-120k

As for stats, I recommend getting them over 100, for the basic opponents. For the higher ones, VERY HIGHER, 700 boost.

A more advanced set:

x1 Ylanas Blaster

x1 Altador Cup Throwing Star

x1 Greater Healing Scroll

x1 Purple Sticky Hand

x1 Downsize!

x1 Hanso's Charisma Charm

x1 Your pick (you chose)

I'm not the best person to advise on weapons- I have been asking advice recently myself, so I'll leave that one to someone else. XD

As far as movement, no, it really isn't necessary. It has no affect on your battling at all, aside from the couple of weapons you heard about. Some people believe that the BD will be updated, and agility will start to matter, but no one (aside from TNT) knows if, or when, that will happen. I'm not training mine actively, but I do any reasonably priced Air Faerie quests that come my way- just in case. ;)

Some Faerie abilities are VERY helpful- these are burrow, sink, and drain life. To get these, use 8 Dark Faeries, and 4 Earth Faeries, and then activate them. Some people like other abilities (some heal a bit, or may freeze, etc), but it you have a good weapon set, they generally aren't worth it. On the Battlepedia Faerie Ability page, you can see which ones they recommend aside from those three, but a lot of them do the same thing as one another- for example, regneration, restore, and healing vapour all restore 33% of the HP lost in the previous round- while helpful, you probably don't need all three!

And welcome to the BD. It is overwhelming when you get into it- I just kind of flounder when looking through the Battlepedia most of the time- so much information! But there are tonnes of people here whom know lots about the BD, so don't hesitate to ask any questions. :D

It totally depends on your budget. I think Faerie abilities are worth it. I don't have the good ones yet though. :(

I suggest for a starter's set:

x2 Scarab Ring

x1 Leaf Shield

x1 Lesser Healing Scroll

x2 Scroll of Knowledge

x1 Purple Sticky Hand

x1 Downsize

Cost: 100-120k

As for stats, I recommend getting them over 100, for the basic opponents. For the higher ones, VERY HIGHER, 700 boost.

A more advanced set:

x1 Ylanas Blaster

x1 Purple Sticky Hand

x1 Downsize!

x1 Your pick (you chose)

Thanks!! I'll definitely look into those weapon sets. I like the idea of the cheaper one, heh :D which type of faerie abilities do you think are most useful at first?

So when you say "700 boost," does that mean to get the actual stats to 700? o_O that's a looot of training! And 100 for just basic opponents? Man...I guess I'm off to go horde dubloons and codestones then :P I think I'm too inherently cheap to be training a pet like this

I'm not the best person to advise on weapons- I have been asking advice recently myself, so I'll leave that one to someone else. XD

As far as movement, no, it really isn't necessary. It has no affect on your battling at all, aside from the couple of weapons you heard about. Some people believe that the BD will be updated, and agility will start to matter, but no one (aside from TNT) knows if, or when, that will happen. I'm not training mine actively, but I do any reasonably priced Air Faerie quests that come my way- just in case. ;)

Some Faerie abilities are VERY helpful- these are burrow, sink, and drain life. To get these, use 8 Dark Faeries, and 4 Earth Faeries, and then activate them. Some people like other abilities (some heal a bit, or may freeze, etc), but it you have a good weapon set, they generally aren't worth it. On the Battlepedia Faerie Ability page, you can see which ones they recommend aside from those three, but a lot of them do the same thing as one another- for example, regneration, restore, and healing vapour all restore 33% of the HP lost in the previous round- while helpful, you probably don't need all three!

And welcome to the BD. It is overwhelming when you get into it- I just kind of flounder when looking through the Battlepedia most of the time- so much information! But there are tonnes of people here whom know lots about the BD, so don't hesitate to ask any questions. :D

Thank you for all of the faerie info! :D at this point, I'm quite happy that faeries have deflated so much in the years that I was gone! You've also brought me to a verdict on my pet's speed: for now, I shall not waste any extra NP on it. Thank youu~ we'll be battle noobs together!

Thanks!! I'll definitely look into those weapon sets. I like the idea of the cheaper one, heh :D which type of faerie abilities do you think are most useful at first?

So when you say "700 boost," does that mean to get the actual stats to 700? o_O that's a looot of training! And 100 for just basic opponents? Man...I guess I'm off to go horde dubloons and codestones then :P I think I'm too inherently cheap to be training a pet like this

Thank you for all of the faerie info! :D at this point, I'm quite happy that faeries have deflated so much in the years that I was gone! You've also brought me to a verdict on my pet's speed: for now, I shall not waste any extra NP on it. Thank youu~ we'll be battle noobs together!

Yeah, 700 boost means that your strength stat is at 700, etc. While you can train your pet as high as you want, that's the last 'boost' that they get- only seeeerious BDers go up that high. :) You can see the boosts here: http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/battle-strength-defense-boosts/

I would say that getting the 125 boost is probably what you want to aim for- it's pretty reasonable, in terms of cost of training, and it makes a BIG difference in your attacks. :) Like with anything, you can have lower stats for basic opponenets, but if you're going to have a cheaper weapon set, it'll just make it more difficult.

Yeah, me too! :) I have a bunch sitting in my SDB while I decide if I want all the other abilities in addition to the three I mentioned. :) I'll probably just hold onto them until a plot comes about. :P

-high fives-

For the faerie abilities I strongly suggest getting sink and burrow these are defense abilities and can be quite helpful.

For a beginner battle set to an intermediate battle set this is what I strongly reccomend:

Honey Potion

2x Scarab Rings just becasue they're dual duty. There are several alternatives out there to choose from but these are on the less expensive side.

Leaf Shield

Greater Healing Scroll - honestly the lesser healing scroll is not even worth it. The Greater Healing Scroll heals 50hp

Downsize - perfect for defence

Randomly Firing Freeze Ray - I'm not sure if it's still glitched but another alternative would be the Snowglobe Staff

That's all I really have in my set right now and it suits me well so far. Then you can look at upgrading each item from there.

After 700 stats, you can beat practically any opponent that is 1p. So in a long term after years of battle plots, it'll be worth it. I have dubloons in my shop for 100NP under the original price. (Five Dubloons), I have one and two coins also. P.M. me if you need those. For codestones, that will seriously melt your NP. After playing 150k worth of games, 60k is melted. :( You should play key quest. That saves me a lot.

This article answers many of your questions. :)

For recommended weapons, check Basic Weapon Sets.

A more advanced set:

x1 Ylanas Blaster

x1 Purple Sticky Hand

x1 Downsize!

x1 Your pick (you chose)

You listed Greater Healing Scroll twice. :P

For the faerie abilities I strongly suggest getting sink and burrow these are defense abilities and can be quite helpful.

For a beginner battle set to an intermediate battle set this is what I strongly reccomend:

Honey Potion

2x Scarab Rings just becasue they're dual duty. There are several alternatives out there to choose from but these are on the less expensive side.

Leaf Shield

Greater Healing Scroll - honestly the lesser healing scroll is not even worth it. The Greater Healing Scroll heals 50hp

Downsize - perfect for defence

Randomly Firing Freeze Ray - I'm not sure if it's still glitched but another alternative would be the Snowglobe Staff

That's all I really have in my set right now and it suits me well so far. Then you can look at upgrading each item from there.

Awesome, thanks! :) I got Downsize, 2 Scarab Rings, and a Leaf Shield based on the replies here. I'll fill in the spaces once I have the time to compare some of you guys' different suggestions.

After 700 stats, you can beat practically any opponent that is 1p. So in a long term after years of battle plots, it'll be worth it. I have dubloons in my shop for 100NP under the original price. (Five Dubloons), I have one and two coins also. P.M. me if you need those. For codestones, that will seriously melt your NP. After playing 150k worth of games, 60k is melted. :( You should play key quest. That saves me a lot.

I'll be in touch with you! Yeah, key quest always gave a steady supply of codestones when I still played...good idea :) I wish I had saved them all instead of selling them now. Thanks again!

This article answers many of your questions. :)

For recommended weapons, check Basic Weapon Sets.

Ah thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that ^_^