Neil Armstrong dead at 82

sara1elo

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died at the age of 82, after suffering complications from heart surgery, his family said in a statement. Earlier this month, the former NASA astronaut had undergone heart surgery.

He famously uttered the quote moments after setting foot on the lunar surface: ‘That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.’

article-2193587-14B1279E000005DC-68_634x692.jpg

According to NBC News, the Armstrong family wrote in a statement: ‘Next time you walk outside on clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil and give him a wink.’

NASA, too, was quick to express their sympathies, tweeting: ‘NASA offers its condolences on today's passing of Neil Armstrong, former test pilot, astronaut & the 1st man on the moon.

In a statement issued by the White House, Mr Obama said Armstrong and the rest of the crew of Apollo 11 carried with them the aspirations of an entire nation when they set out for the moon in 1969. The president says that when Armstrong set foot on the moon, he delivered what he called 'a moment of human achievement that will never be forgotten.'

An estimated 600 million people - a fifth of the world's population - watched and listened to the landing, the largest audience for any single event in history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

Whether we believe man on the moon or not (this is another debate...), I think he was one of the most important figures in modern history.

So, R.I.P. Mr. Armstrong.

Whether we believe man on the moon or not (this is another debate...), I think he was one of the most important figures in modern history.

Amen to that

Mankind will never forget

R.I.P. Mr. Armstrong