Riddle me this: Guess Who!

super_almoner

He's associated with the Group of Seven (he died before they officially came together), which is a band of Canadian artists who painted landscapes. Their work is practically forced down elementary kids' throats since they're though to be our national painters... but that's a falsehood for so many reasons. Hahaa, I'm an Art History major so I know too much about these things and I just wanted to know how well-known he is outside of Canada. So far, not too well lol :P

I don't know too much about Tom Thompson but I think I saw one of his paintings, "The Jack Pine", at the National Gallery in Ottawa. I'm Canadian but we learned very little about the Group of Seven in school (in fact, I can't remember if we learned anything about them at all) - everything I know stemmed from my own research because of my personal interest in art. My favourite of the group is Lawren Harris. :)

We have such a huge collection of Go7 paintings in the gallery, I was just there yesterday admiring them actually! Harris is my favourite as well, but I'm also partial to Varley. Really, you didn't learn about them in school? In all the schools around where I grew up there were prints of their works and we had lessons on them. The government apparently ordered prints for every elementary school in the 80s or 90s to instill a sense of nationalism in us... I don't think it worked :P

I live in Canada, and before you told us he's from the Go7, I had no idea who he was - for all I knew, he could have been the Thompson in Tintin. xD

I have heard of the Go7, though, in Art and Social Studies, but I don't remember any of their names, and likely none of their art.

Bwahaaa Thompson and Thomson are close xD Maybe the schools in my area just really pushed it, but I remember having workshops on them where gallery workers would come in with reproductions. Then came the avalanche of worksheets we had to fill out. Hm, you might recognize "The Jack Pine" it's the most well-known of them all. Also, I just realized his name doesn't have a "P" in it... oops.

Huh. I never heard of him, although I am from the US. And I'm unfamiliar with his work, I had a peek through Wiki to see. It's probably more that I'm pretty unfamiliar with Canadian artists, I don't think they're taught about much - at least, where I went to elementary and high school at!

I was hoping he was a little more well-known because of an art project I'm working on. Ah well. Thomson and the Go7 were apparently really popular in London during a recent exhibition there... Haha, well I like them at least :D Have you heard of Emily Carr?

Really, you didn't learn about them in school? In all the schools around where I grew up there were prints of their works and we had lessons on them. The government apparently ordered prints for every elementary school in the 80s or 90s to instill a sense of nationalism in us... I don't think it worked :P

I'm really not sure if we did or not - if we did, I just don't remember. I do remember watching a video on Emily Carr, though. :)

We didn't learn about Emily Carr in school as far as I can recall. I only remember watching Sister Wendy videos. They're about this old nun who is an art historian in her spare time... funnily enough she likes to find phallic imagery in every art piece...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know too much about Tom Thompson but I think I saw one of his paintings, "The Jack Pine", at the National Gallery in Ottawa. I'm Canadian but we learned very little about the Group of Seven in school (in fact, I can't remember if we learned anything about them at all) - everything I know stemmed from my own research because of my personal interest in art. My favourite of the group is Lawren Harris. :)

I learned practically nothing about them either- in fact, the first time I was taught anything about them was in a University history class.

I can't say I remembered his name, though, nor any of the others. I'm not hugely impressed by their art- it just doesn't tickle my fancy.

I like Ted Harrison and Emily Carr far more. :)

Maybe my elementary school was the only one that taught Go7 stuff. Reality shattered. I really thought everyone learned about them. Huh. I don't much care for their later work in abstraction, but the early graphic design work is something interesting.