Chess

antiaircraft

I just participated in a chess competition earlier today, and I didn't do too well (lost 4/5 matches <_< ). However, I did checkmate one of my opponents in four moves. Basically what I did was advance the pawn in front of the king, then line up my bishop to attack the pawn beside the king and my queen to do the same:

4MoveCheckmate1.jpg

Then I destroyed the pawn with my bishop:

4MoveCheckmate2.jpg

Tada! Checkmate!

I didn't show my opponent's moves (because I forgot them) but this strategy can easily be blocked if he/she knows what he/she's doing. It is still quite handy though.

Note: I used this site to make the diagrams.

Anyone else have tips?

Ah, the 4-move checkmate. How I kept falling for it in days gone past.

Now I don't play chess at all, really, but I learnt that the 4-move checkmate is mighty powerful on people that aren't really aware of it.

There isn't really any "tactics" in chess, as every game is different. But I'm sure someone has a little thing they always try...

No-one's going to get away with trying to use that on me. And the whole base of chess is tactics.

I haven't either. I find that even though the game looks simple, something as little as advancing a pawn too far can have devastating results.

I haven't either. I find that even though the game looks simple, something as little as advancing a pawn too far can have devastating results.

Or missing a four move checkmate for that matter.

Well, when my dad plays chess he always tries to smash his opponent's defense before they can do anything about it.

And one of my friends (who almost topped the chess competition) taught me this defensive screen:

DefensiveScreen.jpg

It is reasonably hard to get through, but it leaves you nothing to attack with.

If you can line up multiple pieces to attack the sides, you can get through - problem is getting the pieces. I played against the person who taught me that and we both used it. That was really boring.