Team "Codex"

meiko07

Ok, but how is this a problem? And how does "what the person is doing in the meantime" even begin to be a problem? What they're up isn't our business and might be a bit too..... personal to ask or even think about it.

My point is that the person running the program could be off doing anything, yes, most probably more enjoyable things - like hanging out with their friends, going to the cinema, ect. But the person playing without the machine has to physically sit there and do what they're doing - they have to make that "sacrifice" of time. I can see how it might be perceived as a waste of time when there's something that can do it for you. However it makes me remember that neopets is now primarily a website geared towards kids and one of the comments returning (now older) players often come up with is that Neopets taught them time management. So the person running the program is having their cake and eating it too - having the results of however long restocking AND having the however long doing things the person would rather/has to be doing, where a player without the program does not have the luxury of getting both.

EDIT: perfect example on [Removed]'s board

I'm just gonna sit back, let my SS run.. and start on some of my homework. If I'm going to be a dirty no-good cheater, may as well get some actual work done in the process right? hahaha

The player is not sacrificing time to get the result. Yes, I appreciate this makes me look like a less hysterical version of the post below that, but I'd hope people'd understand my point by now.

Alright, cool I guess. Everyone's priorities are different, and I bet you most people who cheat don't have Neopets near the top. Of course there are legit players who don't have Neo at the top of their list either, and that's fine too! But the program is doing pretty much exactly what you would be doing yourself, so I'm not seeing a problem with this. At the end of the day, we're still just playing the same game but in different ways and gaining/losing different things, which happens through legitimate-only means as well.

See, this quite clearly shows that your focus is on the end result - that everyone ends up with the same things, how does it matter how they got it? Whereas I suspect for legit players it's really about the getting. "The journey" vs "the destination", if you'd like - neither's wrong, just a different perception. Also by "gaining/losing different things" I assume you're talking money and time? I, personally, place time above money. Other's will feel different. It's why I feel so strongly about all of this - because to me, the time invested is worth more than the money paid.

Just to make sure my point gets across - let's say there's a discount for an expensive virtual item, something that only has value within a certain game (but has a lot of value) being offered for anyone who can stay in the store for x hours. Not everyone can stop their lives for x hours to get the thing for cheap, so they have to pay full price. That's it for me. Not everyone can stay in the store for that long - not everyone can pay. It is no longer fair on the people who have to pay full price - no longer fair for people who are willing to invest the time and to manage their time so they have enough to do everything.

... These are people/things who I know and affect my personal life and care about, and are alive (not pixels on some virtual pet site). So of course I have different views regarding this, and try to prevent or fix things which have a negative impact on them. But if something is happening which doesn't affect me or my family's day-to-day lives then there's nothing else which can be done, and it's easiest just to move on and stop caring until/if they become apparent in our lives.

I really have an issue with this mindset, but it's tangential at best to this discussion, so let's agree to disagree on it. I'm sorry if I offended you by bringing it up.

Also, drugs/alcohol/cigarettes can be life-threatening things (and drugs are illegal), so it's a bit weird to be comparing this with how I react to/deal with people on the internet.

That was more me trying to communicate why I feel the way I do about your mindset - I do appreciate drugs etc are worse than your reactions to people on the internet.

---

Also, I just want it to be known that I have no issues with [Removed] as a legit community and fully appreciate that not everyone there cheats. And if TNT turns out to be rigging the AC I will be just as annoyed as anyone else.

EDIT 2: While I'm here.

If anyone actually does use the anagram solver, I'd love to see why they don't think using that is cheating.

I suppose it's because the player has to physically plug in the letters, then go onto Neopets and physically plug in the correct answer. The player does all of the "mechanical" movements and none of the thinking. Similarly, Autobuyers do all of the "mechanical" movements and only as much thinking as a program can accomplish. (FYI, I don't use the anagram solver :P Also, I don't write the articles for TDN or anything)

EDIT 3: for clarity and stuff.

Edited by Kaana

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then is this cheating?

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/word-poker/

A Little Cheat

To help out with word poker, use a Scrabble cheat program (one is here external_link.gif). You type in the letters you're given and it gives you all the words that can be made from them. I suggest going to the very bottom of the list and entering any of the long words, since you get an extra 50 points for 7 and 8 letter words, then just start entering as many words as you can.

Please use this at your own risk... you could get frozen.

So then is this cheating?

http://www.thedailyn...mes/word-poker/

A Little Cheat

To help out with word poker, use a Scrabble cheat program (one is here external_link.gif). You type in the letters you're given and it gives you all the words that can be made from them. I suggest going to the very bottom of the list and entering any of the long words, since you get an extra 50 points for 7 and 8 letter words, then just start entering as many words as you can.

Please use this at your own risk... you could get frozen.

Yeah, that one doesn't really make sense to me either. That said, I am not anyone on TDN - I don't write any of their articles. My last post was just my rationalisation of why TDN suggested the anagram solver. Maybe if you are looking for actual answers, you could ask the person who wrote it?

I just checked the [Removed] website, and based off of what they're posting, TNT may have patched the program. None of them can send scores. :laughingsmiley:

Phew! As a Meridell Player, I am sooooo glad to hear that! If we win, we want to win fair and square!

Well, while this topic is hanging by a thread, I will say that I don't think any less of [Removed]ians (and one person was trifling about this title, who cares, you are [Removed]ians, we are TDNers it's a title get over it) because they did bring up a completely valid point.

Score senders were designed to save time, and I realized, what IS wrong with that? Especially when the Lab Ray, Game,and Faerie Quest cookies do the same thing, save time, it's just that they cost money, while the score sender is basically free? I still oppose the idea of using programs in general, but as long as the cookies are out, there really is no way to say it's bad when TNT's is basically doing the same thing. And just because TNT didn't create score senders, is it so bad to use them? I still advise the disuse of such programs, but this is just some food for thought. lol I think the final straw would be if TNT released "Score Sender cookies" before or during the AC. :P

Save Time???? Really?

If people don't have the guts to earn those NPs and scores manually. They don't deserve it.

Taking advantage of other humans though cheating will always be wrong!

About the Fortune Cookies

I have to admit, this is a bad idea and gives rich players an ADVANTAGE over other players, but at least they help revive the site by paying directly to Neopets.com

About the cheaters in AC

You guys don't have to deal with painful butt cramps, hand injuries and headaches.

You guys have the time to meet up with your friends, watch movies, go outside and have fun, while we play more than 4 hours a day.

You don't deserve those points and your All-Star trophy.

You completely ruined the one of main point of the AC. SPORTMANSHIP

What about those young people who does not know about Score Senders and play fair and square.

Well, while this topic is hanging by a thread, I will say that I don't think any less of [Removed]ians (and one person was trifling about this title, who cares, you are [Removed]ians, we are TDNers it's a title get over it) because they did bring up a completely valid point.

Score senders were designed to save time, and I realized, what IS wrong with that? Especially when the Lab Ray, Game,and Faerie Quest cookies do the same thing, save time, it's just that they cost money, while the score sender is basically free? I still oppose the idea of using programs in general, but as long as the cookies are out, there really is no way to say it's bad when TNT's is basically doing the same thing. And just because TNT didn't create score senders, is it so bad to use them? I still advise the disuse of such programs, but this is just some food for thought. lol I think the final straw would be if TNT released "Score Sender cookies" before or during the AC. :P

This is the main idea that [Removed]ians are attempting to make; using available (free) programs to do things is to save time, TNT is now promoting this very thing (saving time) but making profit off of it. So who is cheating who here?

Save Time???? Really?

If people don't have the guts to earn those NPs and scores manually. They don't deserve it.

Taking advantage of other humans though cheating will always be wrong!

About the Fortune Cookies

I have to admit, this is a bad idea and gives rich players an ADVANTAGE over other players, but at least they help revive the site by paying directly to Neopets.com

About the cheaters in AC

You guys don't have to deal with painful butt cramps, hand injuries and headaches.

You guys have the time to meet up with your friends, watch movies, go outside and have fun, while we play more than 4 hours a day.

You don't deserve those points and your All-Star trophy.

You completely ruined the one of main point of the AC. SPORTMANSHIP

What about those young people who does not know about Score Senders and play fair and square.

First off... how on earth is anyone taking advantage of other humans? You NEED to clarify this audacious claim. The only thing that is being taken advantage of is time.

Your first point "You guys don't have to deal with painful butt cramps, hand injuries and headaches." clearly not, this makes anyone taking advantage of the time saving simply smarter players and healthier to boot.

"You don't deserve those points and your All-Star trophy."

For all you know those points and trophy are earned by either A playing smarter or B playing unhealthy amounts... so who are you to say who does and does not deserve them? That seems an extremely harsh attitude to take on the matter.

"You completely ruined the one of main point of the AC. SPORTMANSHIP"

I thought the main point was to have fun?

"What about those young people who does not know about Score Senders and play fair and square."

They should be better informed I think?

Ok, this is officaly out of hand!

TDN does not allow people to encourage or endorse cheating programs or anything of the like that goes against the Neopets T&C. No matter their reasons for donig so. TNT will freeze people for using these programs, again no matter the reason.

I am closing this thread to end this before something blows up. While I understand that everyone wants to toss in their two cents on why using programs is unfair, against the rules, ect, I must ask that in the future such things are simply reported so mods can deal with it.

(Don't worry, I'm not blaming the thread starter, they were looknig to discuss a perfectly legit topic in a legit manner. Things have just gone south in a bad way and it's for the best if the topic is dropped. Keep being awesome, my little forumites :D)