Pre-Cup Interview with RI captain Lilo Blumario

svenferg

Obligatory disclaimer: This news report is largely fictional, composed from various fan comments and the whims of our imagination in an attempt to inspire a sense of realism through our reporting. While we do our best to keep things reasonably neutral, this report is in no way intended to be a completely bias-free representation of the parties involved, nor does it claim to provide critical analysis of past and potential outcomes from qualified Altador Cup experts. If professional analysis is what tickles your fancy, take a look at our predictions (global/daily).

micon_rooisland.gif

Last week I asked Lilo Blumario, captain of Roo Island’s Yooyuball team, for an interview. He literally sprang at the opportunity, but asked that we meet in an unconventional place: the Games Room.

Lilo, thank you so much for this interview.

Oh, of course! I love talking about the Altador Cup. I can’t believe how close it is!

I am wondering, though, why did you ask to meet here of all places? It’s a little…chaotic for an interview, don’t you think?

The last few months have been practice, practice, practice and this is my first day off in weeks! And since I haven’t been able to visit the new Games Room yet, and it’s basically in my own backyard, today seemed like a perfect day to check it out! I hope you don’t mind.

Oh, not at all. Now, you and the rest of your squad have been pretty busy this offseason.

That’s right. We’ve had festivals almost every week, along with our interviews, sailing trips, and not to mention our team outing to the new Art Centre. Hearing Gordo’s poem, “A Sunset by Roo Bay,” was priceless!

Um, I meant more along the lines of your trade with Brightvale…

Oh, of course! That was fun too!

Right…So for my readers who don’t already know, Roo Island has traded Right Defender Gordo Gunnels for Brightvale’s “Squeaky” Tressif. Is this an exciting time for Roo Island?

Oh, of course! I am always amazed by how readily our fans accept new faces. They really get behind our team!

Now, Lilo, this trade seems unprecedented. You guys have always apeared to be such a close knit squad, where a trade seemed out of the question. Why the change?

Oh, nothing’s changed. Gordo will always be loved by Roo Island. We simply felt that it was time for us, as a team, to move forward, and it was an incredible opportunity for Gordo.

Why’s that?

Roo Island is an offensively minded team, and we always have been. I personally think it’s more exciting that way, but it is tough for a defensive player to thrive in that kind of environment. But they love their defense over in Brightvale, and I really think Gordo will fit in well over there.

Now with Gunnels, you’re losing a two-time All-Neopian First Team member. How is his absence felt on the team?

Gordo was a… big presence in the backfield! He’s a good player and he will be missed. But Squeaky has filled in perfectly.

What sparked your team’s interest in Squeaky? He may be the former Brightvale captain, but the casual fan of the cup probably has never even heard of him.

We’ve been watching Squeaky for a while now. He’s a tenacious defender, and every time I played him, I was very impressed by his poise under pressure. Sure he’s not an All-Neopian, or a top goal scorer, but his leadership skills are invaluable to a team. We believe, on a higher-profile team like Roo Island, he can finally get the recognition he deserves.

How is Tressif fitting into the Roo Island environment?

I’m not going to lie; it was a little awkward at first. There was some tension between Fenny and Squeaky at the beginning. Fenny’s humor seemed to have no effect on the stoic Squeaky, but I was able to rally the troops with some practical jokes. A few exploding jellies and hidden Slorgs later, and it was as if “Squeaky” had been with us for years. We got him to crack a smile, even if he won’t admit it. He even opened up about how he got his nickname.

I was curious, how did he pick up the name Squeaky?

Well during that nasty Brightvale cheating scandal of Y8, Tressif was dubbed “Squeaky” for his “squeaky-clean” play in contrast to the rest of his team. He even won the Sportsmanship award in ACI. He wears the name as a badge of honor, I guess.

What was the process of acquiring Squeaky like?

Well there were several teams that were interested; us, Tyrannia, Haunted Woods, Altador and Lost Desert. Haunted Woods, Lost Desert and Altador are all teams with rich defensive history, which seemed perfect for Squeaky... And Tyrannia ranked highest out of all of us last season, so we didn’t go into the trade with much hope. Representatives from the five teams met in Brightvale to give a little speech to Squeaky. It was me, Krell, Leera, Trapper and Taggert.

Wow, so many Yooyuball stars in one place must have caused quite the excitement, right?

No, it was awful! We were on such a tight schedule that I didn’t even have time to spin the Wheel of Wisdom!

Right….So you were saying?

Right! So we’re in the main hall of Brightvale Castle, talking to the Brightvale team, all of us trying to convince them we were the best place for Squeaky. I was just honest with them, saying we really loved Squeaky’s leadership ability, and were willing to trade our All-Neopian defender to get him. And the rest is history!

Well, Lilo, this may have been one of the most unconventional interviews I’ve had, but I suppose they always are with you.

Thanks, I try!