So, what's so great about superheroes?

Lady Lyuba

After pretty much becoming very annoyed with all the Avengers hype going on (I will see it Saturday so heopefully my mind will change), a friend of mine kinda gave me a lecture as to why everybody loves superheroes. So, I've googled this and have come up with several articles. As my friend said, everybody wants escape, and through a superhero, everybody sees peace and hope for a better future, regardless of the superhero, be it Batman (my personal fave), Spider-Man, Superman, or the Hulk. It seems that every one of is is drawn to at least one type of superhero - but upon anlayzing it further they are not all as different as they seem. Many of them all fall into the same category, and let's not forget, supeheroes are what make American comic books.

So why do we all love superheroes? What is so great about them? Oh, and what superhero is your favourite? ;)

Because they're super :woot:

Well..they're just utterly and effortlessly cool and awesome.

They help and rescue people which I am not very fond of doing :rolleyes_anim: Just kidding (;

Mine has got to be Captain America.

Itching to watch The Avengers. I'm on the verge of crying actually. I guess I have to download it illegally. Loooooooooool. Just kidding, again :happystrange:

Also bowing to The Hulk and Iron Man.

Because they save the world! ...or at least the country. Plus, they bring the bad guys out. And they are pretty cool, to be honest. ;)

My favourite superhero would be Iron Man. :D

Hopefully I can watch the Avengers this Sunday!

I took a class last year that studied graphic novels, and we spent an entire period talking about the popularity of superheroes. I wish I had kept my notes now!

Well, the first superhero, as we know them, if I recall correctly, appeared in comics that were sent over to American soldiers fighting in WWII. They were meant as propaganda and a moral booster, I think. They remained popular after the war with adults, but gradually became more and more popular with children.

I think that for the adults at least.... it was refreshing to see someone always win. Where there was no real doubt about who the hero was and who the villian was. The villian threatened the safety of all, but they were always defeated - always. Its good escapism. The real world is seldom so black and white, and the is no guarrantee that the side of right will win.

I have never been big into super heroes though. I tend to get annoyed with the portrayal of women in super hero comics.

I'm not sure. We always route for the good guys and sometimes, we oursevles feel helpless and limited. Super heros are usually gifted some grand sort of power we can never have, and use it for good. It's always nice to think that some powerful supernatural figure is able to protect us, with our limits.

Plus we always want to feel special and unique ourselves, so we kind of spread that feeling to our favourite hero.

I think my favourite would be Spiderman; just because he was the one I watched frequently on television, even the old school one. And I enjoyed the first two realistic movies. Not the third though. I've always played plenty of his video games.

I took a class last year that studied graphic novels, and we spent an entire period talking about the popularity of superheroes. I wish I had kept my notes now!

Well, the first superhero, as we know them, if I recall correctly, appeared in comics that were sent over to American soldiers fighting in WWII. They were meant as propaganda and a moral booster, I think. They remained popular after the war with adults, but gradually became more and more popular with children.

I think that for the adults at least.... it was refreshing to see someone always win. Where there was no real doubt about who the hero was and who the villian was. The villian threatened the safety of all, but they were always defeated - always. Its good escapism. The real world is seldom so black and white, and the is no guarrantee that the side of right will win.

I have never been big into super heroes though. I tend to get annoyed with the portrayal of women in super hero comics.

Oh, I agree with you there about the portayal of women. It's gotten better though. But we need more female superheroes. Though, we do have a few good female villains, such as Catwoman and Poison Ivy. I love 'em. ^^

What a great history there, glad you studyed that in your class. Was it a media class? :)

I'm not into super heroes either. I saw The Avengers with my husband mainly because I didn't want to be stuck at home alone. I found it...blah. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie, but when you have no interest in super heroes and you go to a super hero movie, you don't really enjoy it. My husband thought the graphics and surround sound were awesome, and he thought that the Hulk's character was played out the best. I found Iron Man slightly amusing.

I've never really been into super hero comics books all that much, because I stupidly thought that ALL super heroes were like Superman: BORING. But with all these great superhero movies coming out, it's made me see what's so great about them: they have all these superhuman qualities, larger than life abilities you could only dream about, but all of them are just so heartbreakingly human.

Well, that's why I like them anyway.

For me, it's because everyone loves the idea of someone who is human, like us, to have powers that are , well, not human.

For example:

The ability for fly:

I don't know a soul on this earth who wouldn't like the ability to fly.

Super Strenth:

You remember that tough pickle jar or angry soda bottle?

Here's your chance for revenge!

Invisibilty:

Whether you've ever wanted to just dissapear from embarrassment, or pull a prank without being seen, I think anyone would enjoy the ability to disappear on command.

Super Speed:

Running late? Tired of traffic? Feeling lazy? yeah.

There are thousands of others many talented writers have come up with but those are the most common I can think of.

And besides, who wouldn't want to make this world a better place?

Evil villians, that's who!

And people tend to go crazy over them, too.

Call me crazy but my favorite super hero is... You guessed it Batman! I actually don't like the idea of super heros having some special power that is super human. I like the idea of a super hero being no more then a billionaire who has nothing better to do with his money and time (at least night time) then to protect people. He can't fly, and funny story but, bullets do hurt him. To me super heros don't need the super human powers. It is just a means of saying anyone can be a super hero if they do something to help another person. Even the little things that only upset your life for a few seconds could change the other persons life significantly.

For me, I don't really like superheroes (they all have such tragic flaws) but I do have idols that I admire.

They inspire me to work harder, and I try to mimic their good behaviour.

I guess anything that motivates people to better themselves is positive and welcomed in society? :)

I agree with that, if it's a comic like batman and when Catwoman is not in the picture, the portrayal of women is somewhat that they always needing rescue, which I don't think is necessarily true.

Damsels in distress have sort of been the morale standpoint for Male Lead Superheroes in comic books which is kind of MEH.

Oh, I agree with you there about the portayal of women. It's gotten better though. But we need more female superheroes. Though, we do have a few good female villains, such as Catwoman and Poison Ivy. I love 'em. ^^

What a great history there, glad you studyed that in your class. Was it a media class? :)

Poison Ivy was the inspiration for my Neopets username! (when I was like in 10th grade, but I still like it)

I love superheroes, I am totally obsessed. I can get into pretty much any superhero story. I tend to gravitate toward the Marvel universe (X-men, Avengers, Spiderman) over DC (Superman, Batman), although I do think that Batman, although probably overall misguided, is a pretty awesome character.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the ultimate superhero in my book. The Avengers is amazing, although I may be slightly biased because I LOVE Joss Whedon (anyone else with me?).

Never really been into super heroes, but I'm interested in the Avengers just because of the way it's been set up, i.e. with the Hulk, Thor, etc all foreshadowing the movie where they all come together as a team.

That said, I like Batman. He has no powers, no random thing he was born with. He is looked up to because he possesses real courage. Superman can step in front of a bullet because he know it won't hurt him. Batman does it because it's what it takes to protect someone. (Note: I haven't actually read any Batman, or seen any of the movies. It's just the impression I've gotten.)

I also like Batfink. Anyone remember him? :P

• 2 weeks later...

To start off, I have no favorite. I don't pay enough attention to them, I grew up in the Technology age. I was on the internet checking out music too much to care about Superheros. (But let's talk about manga and I'll tell you what heros I like!)

I think a lot of people who like superheros just find it so alluring to be able to be the center of attention (not like a drama queen). This is not meant in a bad way. I think they like the appeal that they are looked up to, like a little sister will look up to her big brother. It's a wonderful thing for a child to grow up on this notion, and i think it will make them a better person. :)

Being important because you can provide protection to those you love, and even those you don't. It's the ultimate power. (Of course.. this is my opinion.)

Ever since I was a kid, I had this thing with heroes. I don't know. I mean, look at my icon. (hehe, no my friend drew that for me.)

My favorite hero? Oh. You guys may or may not know him but, Zorro. Yes, Zorro. He's a hero to me, okay. My favorite like, SUPER hero would probably be... Iron Man. I just really love Tony Stark. My favorite "villain" is Loki. Loki, hands down. No debate.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, my username hahah I quite obviously love superheroes. But I couldn't really explain why, they're just overly appealing to me. Spider-Man was my first favourite, but now to be honest, I couldn't choose. Christian Bale is a favourite actor of mine which makes me lean more to Batman, but they're all fabulous in my book haha so. :3

My favorite (Avengers) superhero is.... LOKI! And I'm not kidding, I love Loki as portrayed by Tom Hiddleston (by the way, I loved the Avengers movie, I hope you do too!)

So Loki probably doesn't qualify as a superhero, and since the topic is about superheroes, I'd have to say - Iron Man. Because he's so awesome. Granted, my opinions are largely based on the Avengers movie, but his one-liners = <3

But, should I be forced to choose between Tony and Loki, I'd follow Loki to the end of Asgard haha c:

After pretty much becoming very annoyed with all the Avengers hype going on (I will see it Saturday so heopefully my mind will change), a friend of mine kinda gave me a lecture as to why everybody loves superheroes. So, I've googled this and have come up with several articles. As my friend said, everybody wants escape, and through a superhero, everybody sees peace and hope for a better future, regardless of the superhero, be it Batman (my personal fave), Spider-Man, Superman, or the Hulk. It seems that every one of is is drawn to at least one type of superhero - but upon anlayzing it further they are not all as different as they seem. Many of them all fall into the same category, and let's not forget, supeheroes are what make American comic books.

So why do we all love superheroes? What is so great about them? Oh, and what superhero is your favourite? ;)

We all love superheroes because they are good role models. They have really cool powers and personalities. My favorite super hero is Hulk and it was really funny- the avengers. The best part was when Hulk beat up Loki and called him a puny god.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think what I like the most about superheroes is the portrayal of society they allow, making extreme situations possible and projecting how people would react. Take,for example, Marvel Civil War and the events that lead to it, how the fear and the politics made people so desperate for control that they were willing to turn against their own heroes. That blows my mind cause I can totally see it happening.

Nerd talk aside, (and I'm sure people agree w/me ) Superheroes are *EYE*CANDY* at its finest. That's a reason right there.

And talking about my favourite SP, well, I mostly a Marvel fan so, I would say I wuuv Captain America and Tony Stark.

Deadpool is also REALLY cool and the best antihero.