What should I do?!?!?

Lauren_x

This afternoon I tried to log into my account but the pw didn't work. I was instantly afraid. My pets were all still there so I requested my pw from neopets, it was different.

I logged back in and my site theme was different and my bank account was cleared out. The only safe things were gallery because I'd pinned my gallery and email wasn't changed thank god.

I had neomails from people I'd never contacted saying I was a scammer and from this girl saying I'd taken her 2 million that she lent me for the adam avatar. I'd been lent adam months before then.

I don't know what to do. I think I'm going to be frozen.

Changed pw, first think i did.

Can you move your stuff to your sides honey. I tried to mail you on neopets but it wouldn't let me because of the stupid filters. As Jacky said you need to change all your passwords and pins, maybe you could send your pets elsewhere as there is a good chance you will be frozen once you put a ticket in. You have space on your sides for pets and i could take one for now if you like *sends hugs*

Be careful moving your pets though... it might seem suspicious to TNT too and you might get the accounts they are moved to frozen, too... Same thing goes for items... Personally, I would be very careful with that.

Also, maybe you can send a nm to the girl telling her that you just got back to a scammed acct and that you are sending a ticket to tnt, so at least she knows what is going on...

Be careful moving your pets though... it might seem suspicious to TNT too and you might get the accounts they are moved to frozen, too... Same thing goes for items... Personally, I would be very careful with that.

Also, maybe you can send a nm to the girl telling her that you just got back to a scammed acct and that you are sending a ticket to tnt, so at least she knows what is going on...

That is a good point. I have already NMed her (first thing I did after changing PW) explaining and saying I will try and pay her back and that I am truly deeply sorry. I'm in the process of putting a ticket together now.

That is a good point. I have already NMed her (first thing I did after changing PW) explaining and saying I will try and pay her back and that I am truly deeply sorry. I'm in the process of putting a ticket together now.

Just as an after thought, might be an idea to change passwords on your sides as well

Just as an after thought, might be an idea to change passwords on your sides as well

yes that is a very good point!

I really hope you will get everything solved pretty soon... I know on some occasions TNT has given back NP too, so maybe you will get lucky, but don't count on it... I have luckily never been scammed so i don't have experience with this, but if there is anything I can help you with, just let me know and I will do what I can. :)

yes that is a very good point!

I really hope you will get everything solved pretty soon... I know on some occasions TNT has given back NP too, so maybe you will get lucky, but don't count on it... I have luckily never been scammed so i don't have experience with this, but if there is anything I can help you with, just let me know and I will do what I can. :)

Thank you, I'm writing the ticked, putting in as much detail as possible :(

I'll help you pay back the girl if TNT doesn't give you your NP back. That's terrible, and having someone blow your reputation is probably the worst thing that can happen especially since it plays such a huge role in the way we interact with each other on neopets. :/

There are two kinds of folks on the market right now. Hackers, and Crackers.

Crackers are the people who use typical passwords and other programs to try and guess your account information. Honestly? They're put off by difficulty. They won't get into accounts with hard to guess passwords. That the person didn't break into your pinned stuff suggests they're probably not in the business of doing this often. You can get someone to crack your pin for $.10 or so, and usually people who break into accounts will buy packages so they can get multiple accounts for an even better deal.

Actual hackers use an exploit in the system to get your e-mail address. From there they break into your e-mail and rip all your personal information to use against you. The only thing you can do to protect against these guys is to use an e-mail not associated with ANYTHING except neopets. Recently Munsterpoo, one of the bigger names like featheralley, was hacked into and the hacker held his personal information hostage for ransom. Really ugly. As you can see he hasn't come back since. These people don't tend to pick on just random blokes, but target the big names specifically for the prestige and 'glory.' Sometimes they make their services available for hire and that's the only instance that you're going to be worried about this happening to you. Again, they tend to target people who are EXTREMELY rich, but sometimes they're trying to get a specific pet or a certain name and well... yeah.

Just because he didn't get into your pinned areas makes me think he just got lucky with your password. At this point you're probably okay, but I'd still change my e-mail and the like just to be sure.

The best passwords are ones that contain symbols that neopets can't read. You can copypaste these into your password-box but when you request neopets to e-mail you your password the symbols won't appear. It makes it a little more difficult for them to get in.

A close friend of mine also suggests using full passages instead of a couple of words to make your password. Pull a book off the shelf, open to a random page, and touch your finger to a line in the book. Write the entire line down - or entire paragraph if you can fit it. Mark the page and paragraph and leave the book in a place that you can easilly get to it ((or copy it into a notepad document to leave on your desktop so you can just copypaste.)) This will keep crackers out of your account. They tend to be more prone to giving up.

:( AWFUL!! I'm so sorry hun. I really hope this gets sorted out. At least you didn't lose your pets that would be the worst D:

Keep us updated with what's happening and if you need anything at all please message me!

Aww wow! That's so horrible! I never thought there would actually be people on Neopets to do that! Yeah, definitely put a pin on everything. That's the only way to stay completely safe. Hopefully TNT will understand that you were hacked, and that it wasn't you personally who did that. Tell them about all the things you lost too, because it would be very unfair if you did get frozen, seeing as you've already lost a lot. But wow, best of luck! Fingers crossed that you don't get frozen.

Also be sure to change all your PINs as well on each of your accounts just to be on the safe side.

If TNT does freeze you it will probably only be for your protection as they sort everything out.

I hope everything turns out okay for you.

I'll help you pay back the girl if TNT doesn't give you your NP back. That's terrible, and having someone blow your reputation is probably the worst thing that can happen especially since it plays such a huge role in the way we interact with each other on neopets. :/

There are two kinds of folks on the market right now. Hackers, and Crackers.

Crackers are the people who use typical passwords and other programs to try and guess your account information. Honestly? They're put off by difficulty. They won't get into accounts with hard to guess passwords. That the person didn't break into your pinned stuff suggests they're probably not in the business of doing this often. You can get someone to crack your pin for $.10 or so, and usually people who break into accounts will buy packages so they can get multiple accounts for an even better deal.

Actual hackers use an exploit in the system to get your e-mail address. From there they break into your e-mail and rip all your personal information to use against you. The only thing you can do to protect against these guys is to use an e-mail not associated with ANYTHING except neopets. Recently Munsterpoo, one of the bigger names like featheralley, was hacked into and the hacker held his personal information hostage for ransom. Really ugly. As you can see he hasn't come back since. These people don't tend to pick on just random blokes, but target the big names specifically for the prestige and 'glory.' Sometimes they make their services available for hire and that's the only instance that you're going to be worried about this happening to you. Again, they tend to target people who are EXTREMELY rich, but sometimes they're trying to get a specific pet or a certain name and well... yeah.

Just because he didn't get into your pinned areas makes me think he just got lucky with your password. At this point you're probably okay, but I'd still change my e-mail and the like just to be sure.

The best passwords are ones that contain symbols that neopets can't read. You can copypaste these into your password-box but when you request neopets to e-mail you your password the symbols won't appear. It makes it a little more difficult for them to get in.

A close friend of mine also suggests using full passages instead of a couple of words to make your password. Pull a book off the shelf, open to a random page, and touch your finger to a line in the book. Write the entire line down - or entire paragraph if you can fit it. Mark the page and paragraph and leave the book in a place that you can easilly get to it ((or copy it into a notepad document to leave on your desktop so you can just copypaste.)) This will keep crackers out of your account. They tend to be more prone to giving up.

Thank you so much! Your reply was incredibly helpful! I'm waiting on my ticket to TNT, hopefully they will get to it soon (probably after the weekend)

It makes me think they guessed as it was fairly simple and only two numbers and those numbers were very stupid :( I will change my password to something very very long and with special characters like you advised.

I made a MSPP requesting board the other day and I posted I had 5mil pure but yeah, it was probably because my password was stupidly easy and I hadn't changed it in a long time. Thank you again Wolf Child and everyone else. I'm just playing the waiting game now.

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear that this has happened to you, but relieved that your account is intact. People have probably reported you, as the scammer used your account as a guise to get lenders to lend you. Which means you have a decent account. You need to explain to TNT that it was NOT you but a scammer, and that you have taken measures to ensure this doesn't get repeated again. I don't know how they handle hacked accounts which try to scam other players.

I'm glad you kept your PIN nice and safe. That's a relief. :)

I'll help you get back on your feet, too. When this is all resolved. :)

WHOA.

I feel sorry for you. I really do hope TNT sort things out. And yeah, if they freeze you it's probably for your own protection.

And why did you receive a Neomail from a girl saying you're a scammer? O___O

But I hope things turn out better for you. I learned something here. My pw is pretty dumb also...best be changing it now.

Stupid question but how to put pin on your bank account and gallery? :S

Hey!

Thought I'd reply to this since I just had a similar thing happen to me and now I'm freaking out.

Can't log into my account at all, and it even tells me my username no longer exists (although clearly it does since I can still find it).

I sent a ticket in but I have no idea if I've been banned, hacked or frozen.

I've never broken any rules, or given my information out anywhere. . hoping to hear back from TNT soon.

Hey!

Thought I'd reply to this since I just had a similar thing happen to me and now I'm freaking out.

Can't log into my account at all, and it even tells me my username no longer exists (although clearly it does since I can still find it).

I sent a ticket in but I have no idea if I've been banned, hacked or frozen.

I've never broken any rules, or given my information out anywhere. . hoping to hear back from TNT soon.

You have not been banned, frozen or hacked. Neopets is experiencing some technical difficulties that is preventing users from logging in. You can safely cancel your ticket to prevent clogging up the system.

Others suffering from the technical issues are talking about it here http://www.tdnforums...g-issues-board/ :)

A bit of advice. Before you ever loose your account or anything bad happens make a word doccument with these things (or just write them down, it may be safer that way, incase your computer ever gets a virus).

previous passwords

names of disowned pets

names of adopted pets

names of transfered pets (and the pets someone trasnfered to you)

SDB items

inventory items

books one of your pets has read

Trades (given and received)

neomails (also state if you have none)

warnings given (if any)

Equipped items on one/or all of your pets

neofriends

reedemed item codes

trophies

site themes (state the names)

email addresses used (if you changed it. I had to change mine twice because the neopets emails weren't going though)

side account name(s)

Stocks

You don't need to have all of them, but the more you have the easier it is to prove the account was yours, and the faster you may get it back.

A bit of advice. Before you ever loose your account or anything bad happens make a word doccument with these things (or just write them down, it may be safer that way, incase your computer ever gets a virus).

previous passwords

names of disowned pets

names of adopted pets

names of transfered pets (and the pets someone trasnfered to you)

SDB items

inventory items

books one of your pets has read

Trades (given and received)

neomails (also state if you have none)

warnings given (if any)

Equipped items on one/or all of your pets

neofriends

reedemed item codes

trophies

site themes (state the names)

email addresses used (if you changed it. I had to change mine twice because the neopets emails weren't going though)

side account name(s)

Stocks

You don't need to have all of them, but the more you have the easier it is to prove the account was yours, and the faster you may get it back.

Thank you very much, I've done most of these and I really hope that when they freeze my account this info will help get it back :)

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that :( let me know if i can help in any way!

Although if TNT really believes you have broken the rules they won't unfreeze you no matter how much info you provide - I got frozen because they thought I used a program to buy stuff (when I've never restocked in my life..) and they just refused to believe I didn't do it and that it wasn't me if someone did do it.. they didn't ask for info or anything because it doesn't make a difference if they think it was you who did it..

Although it is definitely helpful to keep that stuff, as I experienced today when they wouldn't give me the birthday to my side account because I couldn't provide enough evidence it was me :( (nothing I could do because it was pretty much an empty account that I hadn't logged into for a year)

Hopefully they will be able to clearly tell that you were hacked and it wasn't you at all, and hopefully they will be able to track down where the hacker sent the items/money and freeze them, rather than you! :( *hugs*