Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

keiwo

I hate technology. I had just finished my essay last night (due today) and was using EndNote to sort my references when my computer started working at snail pace. I was hesitant to restart it because I had a bad feeling that it wouldn't start back up.. turns out I was right. Upon restarting, I got a blue screen that flashed for a millisecond before it restarted again. By changing a setting in the boot menu, I was able to prevent it from restarting upon the manifestation of the blue screen and read the error: Unmountable boot volume. This basically means my hard drive is corrupted or fried. I understand that all computers must go to computer heaven sometime but mine is a 9 month old Sony Vaio. I bought it brand new from an electronics store. I'm on PartedMagic (a version of Linux that I'm running from a disc) typing this while I transfer all of my files out onto an external hard drivevia TestDisk. I've tried to fix it using command prompt from a homemade Windows 7 Repair CD and have also messed around in TestDisk a bit but nothing has worked so far - and I'd call my technological competence, especially where it comes to computers, somewhat above average. I'm thinking about doing a factory reset and just finding a Windows 7 CD so I can do a complete reinstallation. I REALLY don't want to have to pay to have it fixed zzzz and I'm pretty sure there's a loophole in my one year warranty that' will prevent me from getting free service.. on top of that I have a lot of uni assignments due this week along with a midsem test so I can't afford to lose it right now! Woooo

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.. I'll try to remain active but if I'm scarce for a while, you'll know why ;p

Bad bad bad timing. My roommate's hard drive gor fried first year and most of the profs were understanding enough to grant extensions. You could always ask?

Ohh that really sucks :( At least you're able to back up your files though. If you get everything backed up and saved, it's probably worth just doing a factory reset and reinstalling Windows, it might what you'd end up paying someone to do anyway. Good luck!

After backing up to an external HD and more struggling with trying to fix it sans reinstall, I gave in to my friend's offer of his 7 reinstall disc. I am now back up and running! :-D

I actually quite like fresh installs.. I get to download everything again and it's all clean and uncluttered