Hey Americans :) some help?

angellicaz

Heyy!

So I'm from England, and for a really realllllllyyyyy long time now I've been dreaming of moving to the USA. California, to be precise.

It's my biggest dream ever, but I have been a little put off by people scaring me saying there's so much bad stuff that happens there i.e. earthquakes and crime and all that....

I know that earthquakes happen because it's in the "ring of fire" or whatever, but isit really that bad?? Does it happen really often, and when it does, isit like dangerous earthquakes or isit like small ones? I don't know if I'm making sense, but I hope I am! If I was to invest and buy a house there, would it be in danger of like falling apart quick because of them?

As for crime, well I don't think there's anywhere in the world that doesn't have crime, isit just worse in Cali?

Also, any opinions on best places to live? (Either in CA, or just overall in America?) I do like the warm climate and stuff

But yeahh, hope that all makes sense hehe :)

Well, I must say, I can't answer your question quite as precise as others may be able to considering I dont live in CA. But I can confirm some things.

Yes, there are earthquakes. I'm not big on seeing what caused them (I don't watch the news :P) The one biggy I know of is the San Andres fault. It causes a few earthquakes over there. Any other earthquakes I can assume are minor. Major earthquakes tend to make the news. Even if I dont watch the news, I do hear of Acts of God that happen. ;)

In terms of crime, theres crime everywhere you go. In some places, yes, there is some more crime, but it really just depends. For example, I went to NYC last winter, and I saw no crime. Then again, I wasnt looking for it, there were lots of people there, and I didnt have anything for people to steal. So really, I wouldnt worry too much about it. Dont forget about it, just do some research and talk to people that live in CA.

In terms of the ring of fire, I cant help you at all on this one. I've never really heard of it that much. All I know about it without google is that its a ring of active volanoes around the pacific :(

Other places to live? Well, I'm not sure...there are the major cities, like NYC, Cleveland, Chicago, etc. Theres the places with awesome weather like miami, orlando, etc. Then theres D.C., but I havent the fogiest clue as to anything about DC...it isnt part of the US (please confirm), so yeah :/ But past that, its just personal preference. Every state has its perks and downsides. But no matter where you choose to live, I wish you good luck getting there, and good luck with your new life in the USA :D

I live in GA,USA, but I have a friend who lives there.

My science teacher told me that in 20-30 years by now California might break off because a huge earthquake will hit there.

Crimes: Really it depends. If you go around Hollywood or LA or Las Vegas or anything like that, then yes.

I still wouldn't move to CA in my lifetime.

My science teacher told me that in 20-30 years by now California might break off because a huge earthquake will hit there.

Ohdear that is so scary!!! Eeeek! Any other ideas where are good places to live? :)

and thanks Piticent i appreciate the info :D also, the ring of fire is active volcanos but also earthquakes and stuff too! I don't think I could live in NYC though, it seems really cramped haha!

If you don't like the heat the try somewhere along the coast. The farther North you get the more snow you will see. I have been thinking about moving to the North or South Carolina region. They have beautiful weather and not such a harsh winter. Really I would just research where it is you want to go and go off of that.

Washington D.C. Is indeed part of the U.S. It is actually the capital...

As far as California is concerned it is super expensive there. It is nice for like a vacation but I wouldn't want to live there full time.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/

That link takes you to a site that'll tell you about recent earthquakes in California. It's a government website so I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it if you're in England. If you can see it, just click on a place on the map, then on the next map you see hover your pointer and it will tell you the magnitude. I actually didn't know there were so many earthquakes in California because I never hear about them on the news (I live in Florida). But all the ones I saw seem to be pretty small (magnitude 2 and below).

About crime, like PIticent already said, there's crime everywhere. You're never going to get away from that.

I have a suggestion. Why don't you take like a two week vacation to California and that will give you some time to take it in and decide if you really want to move there?

Hi! ^_^ I actually moved from the Netherlands to CA in 09 so if you have any questions you can shoot me a mail. ;)

So, yes, earthquakes. they say there's a big one due... Not sure if that would be true though, cause there really is no way to predict EQ's. Also, I live rigt on top of the San Andreas fault line... But things can happen everywhere, you know? I don't really worry about it. Same goes for crime, I really don't think it is as bad as people think it is. I haven't experienced anything bad yet.

Like it was said before, CA is very expensive. I love it here though and I really don't want to move. It is absolutely gorgeous here.

One big thing that you really do need to think about is the job market. It is VERY hard to get a job right now, unemployment is floating around 10% I believe. So that might be something to consider. Also, how are you planning to ehm... get here? It is VERY hard to get a green card... SO are you planning to try and get one anyway, do you want to get a work/study visa, are you marrying an American, ...? Just curious. :)

Jacky pretty much summed it up :) i've lived in los angeles my entire life. i love it. i'm not near any faults or anything. yes there are earthquakes but none of the houses i've lived in have ever experienced any damage. as for the crime, you can definitely avoid bad neighborhoods. i've never felt unsafe or had anything bad happen to me or my family.

Thanks so much to everyone who's replied! The feedback is much appreciated!! :)

I will check the website out, I can see it ! As for the heat, I do love it :D I love the idea of parts of California that are always warm :)

I know it's very expensive, but I am going to save money first etc! Also, as for the green card, I know about it - it's not really something I've though about properly yet, seeing as I won't be moving for a few years still, but I was thinking about trying to apply for jobs first and just get a work visa? I'm studying to be a psychologist so hopefully it will be a little easier to get a job :( Not really up for the whole marrying an american thing, I already have a boyfriend I've been with for 7 years haha!

I really wanted to come to university in America but overseas tuition fees were way too expensive, I think when they came to our uni fairs they said like £17,500 a year or something, I was like woahh if I stay here I'm paying £3,000 and I get it paid on loan, whereas in America you have to fund it yourself!

And emobunny that's great to hear :D Do you need to get special houses or anything? I've heard of like earthquake proof buildings, but is that only for like skyscrapers and stuff?

Hmm... even if you are not moving for a couple years, you might still want to check this out:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

This is a government site for the Diversity visa lottery. It's not a scam; first of all, the .gov shows you it's a government site, and second of all, i can promise you it's real because that is how we got our green cards. :D

Chances of winning aren't huge, but you never know, right? ;) Also, if you Google you will find all kinds of sites where you can enter through a company and they make you pay for their business. Don't do that! the visa lottery is FREE. All they offer is their help with filling out the paperwork if you win and especially since English is your mother language you should easily be able to do it yourself.

I will send you a mail on here this week with our story, but I had a long night last night so today probably wont be the best day for me XD

Wow that sounds awesome :D Thanks sooooo much for that, haha even though I have rotten luck with winning stuff, but it's worth a try! I just had a look, seems really confusing but I will have a proper read soon, - currently trying to do an all nighter doing essays for uni :(

Aww no worries, it sounds fascinating so I can't wait to hear it , but get some rest first love! Thanks again :D

the quick story on the lottery is that every year the US government issues about 50000 GC's to foreigners to keep the population of the US Diverse. (Hence "diversity visa lottery") I think countries that are enemies are automatically excluded, as are countries that had more than 50000 immigrants in the last 5 years. The lottery starts in October each year and runs until November or December (not sure, but just do a Google search). If you "win", you get a letter asking you to send in more info. You send the requested info back to Kentucky, and then the waiting game for the next letter starts. (it took us a year to get our second envelope). In the second letter they tell you that you will have to have a medical examination, they want your file from the police, you have to have chest x-rays taken, and they give you a date for an interview at the American embassy. Note that the med exam is done by doctors picked by them so your doc will probably not be able to do them. The exams, x-rays and interview do cost money (all together i think it cost us about 2500 euros for the both of us before we even knew if we got the GC or not. (<= yes, the council at the embassy can still deny you after all that. he wont unless he has very good reasons to do that though. :) ) They tell you if you got it right away (darn, that "Welcome to the United States, Mr. and Mrs. ...!" was a very emotional moment... :D ), and if you get it you leave your passports at the embassy and they put a pretty sticker in it. :D The process from the 2nd letter to the interview usually only takes 2 months so everything will go high speed from there.

And if you want to go with your BF you need to be married. Either be married for a couple years, or (as we did) get married before the interview and bring proof (pictures, letters, text messages, emails...) that you have been together for a longer period of time and that the second person is not just hitching a ride to get to the US.

Oh, and you can both enter! Gives you 2 chances to win in stead of one. ;) If you enter yourself more than once you will be disqualified though, so don't do that.

That sounds brilliant :) although not so much with the amount you pay haha! Are all those medical exams and stuff done in your own country though? Don't really fancy going to America just to get xrays done haha! How do you know which countries have the "more than 50000 immigrants in the last 5 years"? Sounds like UK will be one of them haha! But I don't actually have a British passport, I wasn't born here even though I grew up here, so that might make it easier?

Yes all the exams are in your own country. And usually they have several doctors per country so you shouldn't have to travel all the way across the country to have your examinations.

And yes, you will have to wait until October to be able to enter. Around that time you'll also be able to find out if the UK is excluded or not. I tried finding some more info on that but I cant find it right now...

Also, I think they go by the country you were born in. so hopefully that helps too. :)

That's awesome :) Thank you so much for everything, honestly!

What time isit in California right now? I know that seeing as it's 3AM here, it should be like middle of the day for you right?

Also, does anyone have any tips on BAD places to live in? Wether IN California or just overall America? E.g. I've heard that Riverside is bad and stuff?

LOL I live in Riverside county :P

I would say that every city has good and bad parts. There's a lot of things going around on Riverside though. But on the other hand, there is parts in Riverside with big houses and beautiful communities where the living would be good. There is a lot of cops everywhere though so usually you're fine. Riverside county is big though.Also, Fontana, San Bernardino, Colton, Rialto ... wouldn't be my first pick. :P

Generally, you can really say you get what you pay for. I would love living in Irvine, San Clemente, Dana Point, but the prices over there are pretty steep, because the quality of living is so much higher.

Edit: right now it is 7 PM here. :) I am on NST.

Oooh I see , thanks :D yeah I guess that's true.. Ohh, so is TNT based in California then ;) that must be so convenient though, having your time as NST! You must be sleeping now , it's 4 am NST ... i hate time differences, most people in america are hardly ever on at the same time as me unless i'm on at awkward times haha!

Yep, Neo is based out of Glendale, which is about an hour drive from my place. :D

I applied for a job with them a couple times already. I speak three languages fluently so I thought they would love to have me but I guess they don't want me after all... *sobs*

LOL :P

my Egyptian friend won this lottery .. he traveled to New York and Kentucky last summer for a month (i think you have to go there within a year to prove that you're serious about it or something?) .. but he hasn't done anything yet about it since he came back ..

my Egyptian friend won this lottery .. he traveled to New York and Kentucky last summer for a month (i think you have to go there within a year to prove that you're serious about it or something?) .. but he hasn't done anything yet about it since he came back ..

Oohhh, if he wants to keep it he needs to go back... If you are not a citizen and want to keep your residentship, I think you have to be there for at least 6 months every 2 years and if you leave for more than a year without asking permission you will loose your green card... Actually when we moved here and were at the point of entry in Chicago there was a couple that had been gone for 13 months, hopped on the plane to Chicago and were then sent back without their green cards :( Pretty sad.

Depends on what part of the coast you're at. Oceanside, Dana Point, San Clemente etc, are all at the coast and very sunny and great temperatures (not too hot). Also, the further you go up north, the lower the temperatures, I think... Our friend lives in Pismo Beach, which still belongs to southern Cali, but the temperature difference is pretty big. So if you want sunny and warm, I'd say stick to the LA area or lower. :)

I see you're in the SF area, all the way up north... I can believe it is a lot cooler there. I am right in between LA and SD. I really want to go visit SF someday though!

that's awesome, can you like go into their office and stuff?

Wow that's really cool, 2 people on this forum - maybe it's not so hard to get then :D

are you from america or?

I live in CA, but not the sunny parts of it. There are earthquakes in CA, everyday, but not big ones, the kind you can't feel, very small earthquakes- so large earthquakes are rare. If you want sun, anywhere except the coast is sunny.

That's weird - it not being sunny on the coast?

Where abouts do you live in cali?

Wow earthquakes every day, that sounds scary haha, but atleast they're not big ones... how often do large ones happen?

Jacky - I know I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to live in Newport Beach or Huntington Beach... But they're really expensive, as is L.A. :(

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

it's a good place to move, but there's a lot to choose from

just don't worry about earthquakes, that's what we do, we haven't had a somwhat big one since 1992

if you want to go to Southern California some of the best places in southern CA are around LA, but not in LA, because it would suck to live in LA Orange county isn't that great either try up north a little in San Louis Obispo, Ventura or Santa Barbara areas, san diego, which is almost at the border, is alright. the inland Empire as it's called is best up in the mountains, but unless you love living in the desert it's kind of dumb

Central California only the coastline is good, unless you want to live alone in the mountains, but stay away from the inland area of Fresno/Sacramento/Stockton. I love the bay area, just stay away from Oakland at all costs.

Northern California is freakin pretty, but there's barely anyone there

I live about an hour away from LA and it looks pretty if you haven't lived here your whole life, and the people are really friendly