TDN, I am in need of a hug. :(

April

Today, I had to bring my dog in to get her put down. I've had her since I was 3, and she was a puppy. I have quite a few other dogs but it still hurts.

The worst part? They gave her the injection in the BROKEN leg. (She was old and wasn't able to heal and she was in a lot of pain.)

So the second they grabbed the leg she began yelping, and I had to listen to that until she passed. :( We just buried her in the back yard.

No one else seems to understand the special place my pets have. I've lost many pets in my life, and you'd think I'd be used to this. It doesn't get easier.

Sorry for sharing a sad story, but I have nowhere else to talk about it, and hope that at least one person here understands how much it hurts to loose a pet.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog. :(

I've only lost one pet (it was a turtle, when I was 7. I cried for days) but I understand how special they are. I didn't get another pet until 2004, when I was 19 when we got my cat, Cairo. He's nearly 8 years old now and I know I will be completely devastated. Same with my sister's cat, who's about 10 years old now.

I know words won't really help, but I understand what you're going through.

I'm sorry, sweetie. D: That's really terrible. A few years ago we lost a family cat I'd had since I was six; the cat was about twelve or thirteen years old when he crawled under the bed and just... died. It's heart-wrenching, and I'm sorry you went through the same thing. My cat died relatively quietly, and there was nothing we could do... I can't imagine what it would have been like to hear him in pain while he passed, that would have made it horrible.

I also recently had to comfort my best friend who lost her rats, with her family around her basically saying that, "Well, they were just rats." I've heard people say, "Well, it's just a dog" or "just a cat," but they don't understand how close people get with their animals, especially when they've had them for basically their whole lives. There is a bond there, and you are losing someone important to you, and the loss feels monumental when it happens.

*hugs*

*gives April a big hug*

I know what you're going through. In October we put one of our dogs to sleep, I cried for hours and I still do sometimes especially on holidays and special occasions. We buried her in our backyard too. My husband made a little casket for her. We put a blanket on the bottom and kind of wrapped her in it and placed her favourite toy beside her.

And the year before I had to put my horse down. I called the vet out and there was nothing he could do. My horse went through a fence and hurt himself terribly. It was a hard decision to make, but I know it was the right one.

Pets like dogs and cats are members of your family. When you lose one it's like losing a family member like a kid or a sibling.

But for them to give her the injection in her sore leg, that doesn't seem right to me. The whole idea of putting an animal to sleep is that that they're not in pain and they're not suffering. I would ask why the vet gave her the injection there. I'm not sure if the medication has to go in a certain muscle or certain vein/artery. It might be nice to know.

This is something that I did after we buried Angel that might help you.

I couldn't do it right away because it was so windy. I had some Lavender incense and I lit a stick of it and stuck it in the ground where we buried Angel so that it could burn and cleanse the area. Lavender is known for being a purification herb, it's also relaxing and comforting to do.

Thank you guys. It makes me feel a bit better just to know people understand. I'm so sick of hearing it's 'just' a pet. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

And she's not suffering any more, but I still keep going through the house expecting to see her. *sigh*

And I really don't understand why they used that leg. I'd always heard it was her front leg they used. But it was one of her back legs.

And incense sound like a great idea! I'm always using them. It's so sad. My other dogs know something's wrong and when we were burying her, one of my dogs wouldn't stop howling. It's like they sort of understood in a way. :(

My husband's cat recently died. Now, the cat was almost old enough to drink legally, let's put it that way. She was very, very old, so of course it was expected. But that didn't make it any easier. In fact, it made it harder--he's had her nearly all of his life, and she was like a baby to him.

Pets are family members, even if people say they're "just" animals. I'm sorry you lost your baby! And it sickens me that they had to make the dog suffer as she passed. I assume they had their reasons for it, but that couldn't have been easy on either of you.

*hugs*

I'm so sorry about your loss. :( They are very special in so many ways. I have a dog (3 yrs old now) and I couldn't imagine life without her!

I agree with Karina, they are family members!

*hugs back*

I'm very sorry your loss :sad02: All pets have a special place in our hearts!

I understand how you feel as well...people made fun of me long ago because I would still cry over any of my birds that would pass away. To them they were just birds but to me they were very special and my little babies :'(

I'm not sure if they had their reasons for using that leg. But I would have liked a little warning. :/

But thanks everyone. You guys have no idea how good it is to know that I'm not alone in how I feel. She was my baby, and I had her for almost all of my life. This kind of pain makes me not want to have another pet, but I don't think I could ever go without one.

I'm so sorry for your loss. *huge bear hug* I recently lost my precious cat, Frosty, so I know how you feel. I don't think you can ever "get used to" losing someone close to you, whether it's a pet or a human. You just learn to cope with it each time. And animals certainly do understand loss. Give them some extra love these next few days if you can. You'll all probably appreciate it. :)

My friends also don't take my seriously because I have 18 dogs. Long story how it happened, let's just say I have a soft spot when I learn an animal is about to be put down. Most I've had since puppies but each has a special place in my heart. I even alternate them sleeping on my bed, lol!

But it's moments like these, I wish I didn't have pets because it's going to be hard to loose the others. :( But it is nice to have them here for comfort.

But it's moments like these, I wish I didn't have pets because it's going to be hard to loose the others. :( But it is nice to have them here for comfort.

After your other thread I'm not sure you'll see my reply, but I will say it anyway... just in case.

I can't go into it too much because this thread has already brought me to tears, but I lost my pet rabbit in 2008. I was inconsolable when he passed on. I made a memorial website on critters.com, but I can hardly bring myself it update it due to how heartbreaking it is to think about him not being here anymore. I never expected people to get how hurt I felt, especially as it's an animal that some consider a pest, or something to hunt and eat, but he will always have a very special place in my heart.

Had it been left to me I'm not sure I could have got another pet (and it certainly couldn't have been a bunny as it would just remind me of him), but my family decided that I should have a companion to try and get some of the joy a pet can bring back into my life. In 2010 they handed over a rescued puppy to me, and I can't imagine life without her now. It does scare me to think about the pain I will feel when she's no longer here though... I try not to dwell on that thought though and enjoy the time I do have with her.