Trading Post Reselling Help and NM Etiquette

annikarose

Every couple months I again try my hand at reselling via the trading post. I expect most offers to get rejected, and I'm fine with it, but it gets so discouraging. I don't offer super-low reseller offers either, but only a couple thousand np below the actual price of selling the items individually.

So for those of you out there who are old hands at this, what has your experience been like? Or for those of you who tried and gave up, how much did you hate it? xp

OH, and I also got a very snarky NM from someone who rejected one of my bids,

don't bother bidding in future thanks

And I responded by saying, "Well, you might wanna check your prices because that lot's not worth that much"... but I really wanted to say:

Oh, I'm so sorry you had to see such a disgusting number on the screen, how horrible for you! I hope clicking one button didn't give you carpal tunnel!!...

...or something like that, but then I refrained, thinking she might report me and that TNT would not look kindly on my snarkiness.... I even felt a little bit uncomfortable sending what I did, but she really struck a nerve for some reason.

Any advice?

I completely understand what you mean. The Trading Post, just like the boards, seem to give people a free license to be nasty. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I have sent many nm's and gotten rude replies sent back. I just try to remember it's THEIR problem, not mine. If people would give more information in their posts, such as what they generally want for the item, it would cut down on the mails they get. I'm sure they get tired of really silly mails as well BUT that does not give them the right to be rude.

There are several people who regularly trade on the post and list their prices on a petpage and some of those petpage price lists are out of this world rude as well and I refuse to trade with them.

When there is an item I am interested in and there is no value guide listed on any of the sites and the person has no price I send a mail stating "I am interested in....I would like to know what you are asking for....there is no information of the trade value on any guides and you did not have a wishlist." At least this way I am asking in a nice way and they know I have at least tried to find an estimated value of the item. But then again here comes the "I accept offers not questions" replies.

Hang in there and just know not everyone is rude.

Being someone on the receiving end of reseller offers, I'll try and help you out a bit :) First of all, it'd be good to do a bit of looking around. What are you trying to resell? If you're trying to resell ETS items, like lab map pieces or nerkmids, people might not want to go for less than what something is worth. Also, try and peek into their other trades or their shop and see what they're selling. Generally, restockers respond a lot better to reseller offers. Mostly because we only get 15 trade spots and want to sell things off fairly quickly, so we'll settle for going under TP price on most things we sell, and often don't feel "entitled" or um "desperate" to milk something for all its worth.

That said, if you just can't be bothered to look around, what does their wishlist say? I tend to avoid lots without wishlists, or lots that just say "offer" because those kinds of people you just know aren't on the communicative end of the spectrum :P

I'm not too fond of direct offers on my trades - but only because I separate things I want to sell at their current price and things I'm willing to haggle on. I generally respond well to polite NM offers asking for a lower price on something I'm selling. Then again I usually do indicate whether or not I'm willing to accept a lower offer, and sometimes it's just annoying when people can't read the big fat "DO NOT NEOMAIL" on a lot ;). It mostly depends on who's selling and what they're selling, though. If it's a super rare item with no price listed, what are either of you going to do? The best way to find out what they want for something is ask, or offer a reasonable price for it. Trying to justify your offer may help you out as well.

I'm sorry people are being nasty, that's just how the internet works unfortunately. People who want a good offer on their lot should put it on their wishlist, it's a gripe of mine as well. Just try your best to gauge how someone will be responding to you and try and avoid people who don't know how to write how much they want for something. But yeah, a nice polite NM wouldn't do you any harm. If they're rude, just ignore them and try not to let them get to you. Some people are just like that. :worried: Have you tried posting on the Trade Boards? It seems to work well for a lot of resellers, posting "Buying with X amt of NP, looking to buy this and that" there may be a bit more helpful to you.

Good luck! All else fails, try auction sniping xD

Have you tried posting on the Trade Boards? It seems to work well for a lot of resellers, posting "Buying with X amt of NP, looking to buy this and that" there may be a bit more helpful to you.

This is a good idea, I haven't spent much time on the trading boards so I haven't noticed.

I was surprised how much it irritated me... will definitely have to wait to respond to those things in the future tho, in order to NOT respond xp

I just don't get it. When I sell things on the TP, I get reseller offers all the time, but I just refuse/accept and everyone moves on. Thanks for lettin me rant, everyone... and for the solid advice :)

Honestly, I think if you're going to be a reseller then patience and good manners are something you probably have to have. There are plenty of people on the TP who, when they say they want X amount for an item, mean it. A direct lowball offer, without a mail, is probably going to annoy the seller and in more than a few cases will get you a direct block from that person. I would always send a neomail saying, 'Hey, I saw you're selling X and I'm interested; are you willing to haggle?' Do you have any OTBs or a lowest price you'd be willing to go to?' If they say no, or you don't get a reply (happens more often than not) shake it off and move on.

I am sorry you've had a bad experience though - there can be some very rude people around. I tend not to go near the TP unless I have to. I would say, though, if you're considering going to the Trade boards, to be very careful, as it has a much higher proportion than usual of shady users looking to con others than some of the other boards. Be particularly careful of so-called 'shell' accounts - the ones with no avatars, no games played, no shop, badly named basic pets, and yet somehow in possession of seemingly unlimited funds and rare items.

People are just pretty stingy. They're also not very smart. I see people asking 110k+ on the TP for items that are buyable, but actually offering a fair price will get your ignored or rejected (do they want to sell the item, or not??)

I've been called a noob and been blocked a few times, too. It's fairly common I guess and people can be snobbish sometimes. Recently I offered like 400k on a Faerie Uni MP (which is the normal price!) and got yelled at since the item had inflated to 1.5 mil and that person obviously thought that that was the normal price (prices have now tanked since then).

Okay, I have another question: If I was to spend a lot of NP on a trade, would I be better off sinking it all into say, one morphing potion, or a bigger lot of UB that may or may not be easy to sell (the one I am looking at includes a Light Faerie Globe, a Flaming Wuzzle Toy, a Silver Butter Knife...) if someone offered it for a really good price?

I keep thinking about that key to investment: diversify! Which is why I was trying to buy bigger lots, and I feel nervous buying one very expensive thing. But I know they're more popular.

Okay, I have another question: If I was to spend a lot of NP on a trade, would I be better off sinking it all into say, one morphing potion, or a bigger lot of UB that may or may not be easy to sell (the one I am looking at includes a Light Faerie Globe, a Flaming Wuzzle Toy, a Silver Butter Knife...) if someone offered it for a really good price?

I keep thinking about that key to investment: diversify! Which is why I was trying to buy bigger lots, and I feel nervous buying one very expensive thing. But I know they're more popular.

If the item isn't actually used for anything, it will take a long time to sell. I avoid those like the plague... just not worth the time it takes to sell.

If you really want to buy them, make it a huge underoffer.